Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

This is an absolute masterpiece! A perfect build that inspires me. Your talent is amazing.

Thank you Wolf for your comment, highly appreciated. I dropped in your log, your SF II is really great... Even though I don't like much mahogany wood, I realized that it could affect me by seeing your clean and beautiful hull planking...

Edited by shiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

I read your build log from the first page, and I must say she is just neat and nice!! especially the cannons and barrels details... 

BRAVO!! Can't wait to see you to finish this ship!!

Cheers!

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

I read your build log from the first page, and I must say she is just neat and nice!! especially the cannons and barrels details... 

BRAVO!! Can't wait to see you to finish this ship!!

Hi ZyXuz,

Thank you for dropping in, for your kind comments...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hello Ferit,

I'm wondered that I didn't see any log from you. Now I know why. I admit that I didn't look to kit build logs during the time on MSW.

But I'll looking more often to kit builds in future.

It looks realy good your Berlin. But I see you are doing much scratch. ;)

I'm wondered that I didn't see any log from you. Now I know why. I admit that I didn't look to kit build logs during the time on MSW.

But I'll looking more often to kit builds in future.

It looks realy good your Berlin. But I see you are doing much scratch. ;)

Thank you Juergen for your kind comments...

Yes, scratch build is another fantastic world in the parallel universe, existing only in my imagination... :o It's like a dream...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit,

Your rudder looks if it belongs there and will be forever!

Great job again.

Hi Sjors,

Your kindness again...and forever... :)

(BTW, it is possible to take out the rudder and then to hang on it...)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Interesting stern post and rudder arrangement Ferit, but beautifully executed. Love the carved work beneath the transom.

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E.; for the comments of a knowledgeable craftsman...

As I haven't any profound knowledge about period ships and try to follow kit plans, it's inevitable for me to make errors. Would you let me know if there is any fault about the stern post and rudder arrangement? From now I can do anything but it would be profitable in my intended build and for the other members. :mellow: :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hello Ferit:

The stern looks excellent! Someone (I'm sorry but I forget who it was) complimented you on the addition of the port lid rigging - looking at your stern, I almost feel that if I gave a little tug to the line, the gun port would open, and I would find a fully rigged canon behind it! Even if it's not really there, the detail you provide certainly provokes the imagination! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The stern looks excellent! Someone (I'm sorry but I forget who it was) complimented you on the addition of the port lid rigging - looking at your stern, I almost feel that if I gave a little tug to the line, the gun port would open, and I would find a fully rigged canon behind it! Even if it's not really there, the detail you provide certainly provokes the imagination! 

hamilton

Hello Hamilton,

He was Brian (RiverRat) who complimented me on the addition (I thank him again)... Your habituel kindness and that you have mentioned, makes me feel fine and victorious.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Thank you very much B.E.; for the comments of a knowledgeable craftsman...

As I haven't any profound knowledge about period ships and try to follow kit plans, it's inevitable for me to make errors. Would you let me know if there is any fault about the stern post and rudder arrangement? From now I can do anything but it would be profitable in my intended build and for the other members. :mellow: :)

Hi Ferit, I’m not very familiar with that arrangement because with British ships some time around the mid to late seventeenth century the make-up of the stern timbers changed. I believe it is referred to as from a square tuck to a round tuck at the stern.

Prior to the round tuck the rudder was as shown on your Berlin with the rudder head completely outside of the hull and with the tiller taken in thro’ a square hole below the transom. Because the hole had to be large enough to allow movement of the tiller, it presented problems in keeping out water.

With the round tuck the stern post and rudder head lengths were increased and the rudder head was taken up inside the ship thro’ the much smaller helm port and the tiller was entirely within the ship.

I understand that many European Navies retained the old style arrangement for some years after the British had changed, so the arrangement on your Berlin would appear to be entirely in keeping with the period.

The use of a whipstaff which was the primary methods of steering for larger ships of the period would be operated under both stern arrangements.

Sorry if my original comment raised a doubt in your mind.

Regards,

B.E.

Today I remembered that I have an article at my PC and as soon as possible I returned to it. I noticed that my rudder build has resemblance to the first one in the picture and that makes me feel happy... :)

post-2145-0-94306600-1370020582.png

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Crow's nest...

Three walnut strips 1x3 mm rounded by bender then glued together...

There would be four crow's nests in different scales...

post-2145-0-88905500-1370277096_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-20766400-1370277134_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-90545700-1370277171_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hello Ferit

I've been a bit under the weather and have gotten behind on my build log readings

Lots of nice additions. The decks look great fully rigged, the cannon balls and holders turned out excellent, as did the belaying racks. The belaying rack/pins are very unique compared with most styles. I find them very interesting and a wonder bash of an otherwise poor kit molded piece.

Your crows nest method is how I made my mast hoops. I would have never thought to upscale the layering to the crowsnests size though, Great idea! I'll be borrowing that idea.

Its good to see so much progress, turtles may be slow but it's about quality, and you my friend show quality in everything you do.

Hello Ferit

I've been a bit under the weather and have gotten behind on my build log readings

Lots of nice additions. The decks look great fully rigged, the cannon balls and holders turned out excellent, as did the belaying racks. The belaying rack/pins are very unique compared with most styles. I find them very interesting and a wonder bash of an otherwise poor kit molded piece.

Your crows nest method is how I made my mast hoops. I would have never thought to upscale the layering to the crowsnests size though, Great idea! I'll be borrowing that idea.

Its good to see so much progress, turtles may be slow but it's about quality, and you my friend show quality in everything you do.

Hi Keith,

Such heartening words...smileys-happy-427623.gif

Much appreciated...

And you always make fell what you point out in your motto... Many thanks...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

The crow's nest looks great! I had to look very hard to try to find the seam...I can only imagine it was very slow and painstaking bending these to shape without them splintering! Excellent work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Wow Ferit,

That is nice round crow's nest….

You did it your self?

And how did you did't it without braking?

Hello Sjors,

Thank you for the comment.

That was:

Phase 1;

I gave a round shape to a wooden strip which had been softened in hot water, by a hot bender tool... Soaked in hot water then bended by the tool, soaked-bended over and over so that even the strip might take a round form... After that, I soaked the strip in hot water for the last time, then without using the bender tool I encircled the wet strip over a piece of timber which had been shaped in a perfect round form, to provide a perfect circular shape. I cut the excessive part of the strip and I glued the junction with CA. I left the strip encircled over the rounded piece of timber. It dried in a good circular form.

Phase 2-3;

The same procedures with the second strip. This time I also glued two strips together as well. Then the same procedures with the third strip... Finally I took the product out the rounded piece of timber... ;)

post-2145-0-96402000-1370332707_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Thanks for the answer Ferit.

We have so an planck bender also but I can not work with it...

All my planks are still broken so I'll do it on the old fashion way.

Soaking and very careful…...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Ferit. I'm chiming in with praise for your hoops!  You must make an instructional video of your technique. The first episode of MSW-TV! :D

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat