Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

Thanks for the answer Ferit.

We have so an planck bender also but I can not work with it...

All my planks are still broken so I'll do it on the old fashion way.

Soaking and very careful…...

Hello Sjors,

My humble thought is that the success depends on what kind of wood you use, what thickness / width ratio has your strip, which temperature has the water, how long it's soaked and how enduring you are...

With the hard wood it's impossible...

2 x 6 mm wood strip is more handleable than 2 x 4 mm's...

The water has to be as hot as possible...

The strip has to be soaked 5-10 minutes at least...

Maybe the strip has to be soaked and bended more than 20 times, bended little by little so that even it becomes dried at every turn... :)

(Please don't consider me as a snappish, I only tried to share my experience that in fact, everybody knows...)

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hello again Ferit

you mentioned that you glued the end with CA. Was CA also used between layers or PVA.

Its amazing what you can make wood do with water and heat.

Hello Keith,

Thank you again :) ...

Between layers I used also CA. Sometimes I have not enough patience to wait that PVA becomes dry. But it's judicious to use PVA. In this wise it's more difficult to see the seam between layers...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit. I'm chiming in with praise for your hoops!  You must make an instructional video of your technique. The first episode of MSW-TV! :D

:D  :D  :D

Thank you Brian for the kind comments...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Your crow's nest looks very nice Ferit.

The way how you rounded the stripes is subscribed

Thank you Juergen,

These words of a craftsman from the fantastic parallel universe (post #222) are much appreciated... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

I too have found that bending wood is a very slow patient process, with multiple soakings and shapings working best. The grain cut in the piece of wood also plays a part. For extreme bends try to hand pick a plank with grain that doesnt cross the planking. Where the wood fibre runs the full length of the plank. Heat is important, probably as much as wet, but not too much dry heat. Re-wetting is important.

In furniture building, like the bent back winsor chairs, steaming the wood is usually used. Green wood is also a trick, I've been wanting to harvest some fresh Oak and attempt making an oak basket. 

I would have loved to watch you make them, Ferit. The things you can make wood do never ceases to amaze me. And Ferit, your a master. but mastery comes to all that will pay the price of TIME. 

Hi and thank you Keith for the info,

I am quite agree with you. Which tips you have added to the info are very important for bending...

And thank you again for your precious comments, extremely encouraging me... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

The crow's nest for the spritsail of the bowsprit...

For the base, kit had provided plywood, the base was rebuilt with walnut strips...

post-2145-0-48013200-1370674550_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-44684200-1370674557_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-55558400-1370674565_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-18639800-1370674574_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-08444100-1370674584_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Beautifully crafted tops Ferit, very well done. :)

as always, excelllent craftsmanship. Outstanding work my friend!

Oh Ferit, you always do amazing work... excellent crows-nests.... beautiful job! :)

You are doing a very good job at the crow-nests....I like it.

Many thanks to all of you,

I am very happy with your encouragements... Much appreciated... smileys-thanks-759125.gif

I have to work more harder to deserve them...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Beautiful work on the tops, Ferit.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yet more impressive work Ferit! Can't wait to see the rigging once it gets going!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Your rigging adventure will go just fine.  Just have the run of every line firm in your mind before you break out the scissors!  Take your time and enjoy it.  At some point you'll step back, look at her and think "I really did that?"

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ahoy Ferit :D

I purchased this book to help me with my Berlin build. It came highly recommended

The Rigging of Ships: in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rigging-Ships-Spritsail-1600-1720/dp/048627960X

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Ahoy J.Pett, :D

Delighted to see you again...

This is a good choice and thank you for your suggestion...smileys-thanks-759125.gif

Fortunately I have this book already...

And unfortunately I know that I have to be patient to see any update about your build... smileys-sighing-and-waiting-205679.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

To quote Augie

At some point you'll step back, look at her and think "I really did that?"

I dont know how many times thats happened to me. When I see just what I can accomplish by trying I never cease to amaze myself. Allow yourself to be amazed and bewildered, It makes life so much more an adventure. I know you'll get passed this and It will be amazing.

I watched Randy (lamarvalley) talk about how he couldn't make 4 spoked canon wheels, then after some silent time BAM, I saw what makes me love this hobby. Genius's at work in so many logs, I wish I had time for them all.

Hi Ferit, I'm embarrassed I've only just been able to catch up fully on your beautiful Berlin build log.  The ship you made really doesn't look like a kit at all, and the wood tone and your detailed craftsmanship have really done her proud.   I love that you described yourself as an "obsessed beginner" - there is nothing wrong with positive 'obsession' like yours, although I'd argue with the 'beginner' - looks like you've mastered so much already.  The ship looks very natural as if the crew have just popped below for bit to eat, I love that look.  Great stuff, can't wait to see more.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)