HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Like greg said  - the camo looks the business, reminds me of someone elses build around here;):P

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I have to follow behind Greg and OC. I like the camo pattern as well. Must mean that you made a good choice as everyone knows I have impeccable taste! :P

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Greg...make me feel good that you like it :)   your levels above me.  I added some extra to her,  seeing that it's a long hull.   now if I can only get the deck to look good.   I'll be sure to add the two white stripes on the aft funnel  {the 7th destroyer flotilla}

5b21e3f2cf4cf_04246_VendettaI_1941copy2_0.jpg.77ce92cf294ae342291828e2f0a16feb.jpg

here is her earlier camo

5b21e415d8000_VENDETTA-02_0camo.jpg.82f5fa5c0fd2bca06f440109f24c3b91.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks OC and Lou..........you must be a connoisseur ;) Lou

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yupz, we decided, bossman 'n me, it was not to be, so it wasn't hard to decide to get going ...

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

...all the way from the Czech republic !   I have all the railings,  doors,  gussets,  and ladders I will ever need!

You'll think you will ever need ...

You are pulling a fast one ... as usual in the beginning, but ... then you will come up with the tiny omissions/changes/addititions/improvements ... maybe I can even twist your arm to do some out of the blue ...

The red looks rather like flat red on the sheet, but it isn't. Wrote that somewhere in the beginning. RGL built it up with several shades, besides the real shading, and highlighting he added. Look at the Tamiya linoleum decking for the colour, that comes quite close, especially if you add some red, or add that to some red. Which one has got to do with the quantity of paint required to get the right mix - when adding light to dark you require more paint, than the other way around, quite logical, but often forgotten in the heat of painting ... examples: pink - add red to white, soften up red - add white to red. darken red - add dark grey (for modelling, do not use black)  So far paint lesson #2 or is it #3 ...

I would have expected the camo to be more sharp lined not so much roundish, at least that is what I've seen mostly, some times a large round line but mostly sharp turns e.a., the RN G & H class destroyers didn't have the female touch in camo. It did turn out well ... she has something wild about her ... first see how it turns out when you added camo to the structures above the deck ... that will be a challenge ... so far ... well done Denis

I don't know what they added to the bow, that large squarish crate. The aft torpedo's should have been replaced by 20mm oerlikon or pom-poms, it'll probably have been the oerlikon, straight from the USN ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I've seen those pictures on that forum.......that's a big ship he's building!   the picture is the Waterhen,   with the Stewart along side.  I've actually seen quite a few pictures of the Waterhen........should have book marked that site :(

for me......yes.   I don't plan on going hog wild with the PE,  but one never knows.   I can look at the Titanic and see if any of it can be used for her as well.... hopefully not much of a scale difference.   I'm aware of paint mixing.......the illustration appears red like that because it's printed on white...that and the fact that it has a glossy finish.   I didn't use a primer....the gray plastic shadows it well enough I think....it doesn't look too red,  now that it has fully cured.  the camo isn't jagged or straight...commonly seen on most war ships....I haven't done a camo job like this for quite some time.  once I get the decals on,  it will look much better.

it's also the reason why I chose this camo......looking at the earlier camo,  it shows a lot more above the deck,  and it will allow me to use the gunship gray more on deck as well.  I don't plan on buying anything special....as far as I can see,  in '41 she had both torpedo launchers and all four guns.  it's just too bad that the kit doesn't offer any variant choices,  like some kits do.   at first,  I wasn't happy with drill'in out the portholes.  now that I see it painted,  I'm a lot more satisfied with it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It’s absolutely up to you old boy on how you want the outcome to be. I use primer as paint lifts if I don’t as I mask. I use Tamiya rattle can primer on and PE and have learnt to rub the plastic down with nail polish remover, particularly on large areas as the grease from fingerprints sticks. 

I’m yet to find a decent acrylic primer. 

Greg

I haven't had it happen to me much,  but I do look out for it.   I 'rinse' my hands off quite a bit.......the admiral likes it because I will sometimes offer to wash the dishes  :D   finger prints are my biggest issue,  I'm better able to keep them under control this way.   I just got done decanting a 1 3/4 oz bottle of the rust red primer.......now I gotta let it de-gas and warm up.   I could have used it for the bottom paint....with the gray plastic,  it would have toned down a lot more than the red paint did.   it's done....no going back  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

16 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

There's a model of the Waterhen at Ballina Maritime Museum, as I discovered while on holiday - see 

Steven

Thanks for that Steven, if only I lived a few miles closer ... maybe just the reason to visit downunder ...

4 minutes ago, RGL said:

I knew there would be some gems like this around. 

You just didn't look hard enough, or you have a somewhat foggy view mate, need a new prescription on your glasses ...

Carl

picking on me country ... that's low RGL you should take someone of your own size, preferably bigger ................. hmmphfff

Steven saw your topic. Very nice, a pitty Greg didn't come up with that information, but wha can you expect ... Canbrrrr

Carl

Well Greg could always drive up there to see the Waterhen model (only 1,013 km). Or fly (2.5 hours on Virgin). But I suspect the models you guys are making could well be more accurate anyway . . .

Steven

Much appreciated, your vote of confidence makes the challenge even bigger, Steven

Nearly forgot, Yesterday I got the paravanes to replace the kit's ones, started on the winch, which took me about an hour's fiddling, nearly ruined the thing when I squeezed just a tad to hard ... fortunately I could correct it without the usual breakage ...

Carl

Just now, RGL said:

He’s right about Canbrrrr at the moment. It looks warmer at the soccer competition going on up north. 

That's a five star answer RGL <tears from laughing>

Carl

still working on her..........I played with the PE doors.   I tried to scrape off the molded doors without losing the other detail,  but I nicked a couple of portholes in the process.

5b23d52f4c026_1.jpg.53d981301c157d06e563766e95e82f9a.jpg

had some trouble trimming off the sprue mark on the aft funnel's pipe in the rear.   coated it with cement and let it dry over night......I'll trim it off today.

5b23d58b9d916_2.jpg.7388eef0620255903057b6f2889aad1b.jpg

5b23d597e03a9_3.jpg.c64768d4be4e75f470eb133bf15a9aab.jpg

I did the aft structure too......painted the bow and stern areas with gunship gray.   I also noticed that I'll need to drill a hole aft of the fore structure,  so I can fit the mast through to the main deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I replaced the 1/5" heigh vent pipes by brass rod with a dot of glue on top. Easier than cleaning up the ones from the kit ... you'll see. Drilled the holes for those too, for a somewhat firmer fitting. You are progressing nicely, Denis. I found a detail drawing, and picture of the bridge, which may be of interest to you, some more tidbits to add ... Post it for you later this evening

(by the way, already got a new job ... pulled a fast one .. me thinks)

Carl

6 minutes ago, cog said:

Congrats !  Is it in your same field ?

good to hear Carl.......what will you be doing?    PE railings stink!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, cog said:

I replaced the 1/5" heigh vent pipes by brass rod with a dot of glue on top. Easier than cleaning up the ones from the kit ... you'll see. Drilled the holes for those too, for a somewhat firmer fitting. You are progressing nicely, Denis. I found a detail drawing, and picture of the bridge, which may be of interest to you, some more tidbits to add ... Post it for you later this evening

Congrats on the job mate.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Jack, Denis, OC, thanks, less programming, more management ... pay still sucks ...

Denis,

PE railings do not stink, or brass must have gotten a strange odeur ... they are a pain ... very much so, but only if you let be :)

file.php?id=82070&mode=view

this thread might be interesting for a.o. it's drawings. The big blob on a stick in front of the range finder is the range finder controler ... you can see that in the afore mentioned thread

Cheers

Carl

16 minutes ago, cog said:

Ah, the other one woke up! Morning Greg!!

Im confused  - I  stuck one of our clocks upside down for Greg  but I am still confused.:huh:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Anyway greg/dennis and all,   when you gonna come and say hi on my fresh sub build..........Im lonely  on there.:(

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.