HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Denis,

Add some white to make it more "in scale", or mist it over with very diluted white, once you've applied it. You are going good. Hope your "super structure" isn't glued to the deck ... Keep these structures off, it will be so much easier when painting/spraying (really!)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Today's effort ... if you can call it that ...

first I made rigging rings for the rear funnel, when I saw them I knew I had to go smaller ... what I made were the shackles of the anchor chain for a Yamato class battleship! So I tried my hand at something smaller ...

5b1aad0774e6e_Untitled-2copy.thumb.jpg.a592df47fe35e87421eff364c70051f6.jpg

Some deck furniture ... cosey chairs to watch the paravanes splashing round ... minor touch up to do if you look well ...

5b1aad15f2ee6_IMG_3539copy.thumb.jpg.94e4496e81b1c57d62ca60e8f622d3fb.jpg

Carl

1 hour ago, CDW said:

If you ever dropped one of those torpedo door covers on the floor...fugettaboutit. It would be history.

Great job so far, Popeye.

Depends on the floor matting mate ...

Carl

thanks......hard to believe that there are so many parts!  camera's on the charge at the moment......but i'm still steam'in along  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the rug is now one of those woven types.........already lost a part C33 for the torpedo tubes.   yea.......it's gone to never never land.  I too a piece of trim junk and made one.......no worries.  :D  :D    paint what white?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

OK........here I go........my first bit of actual PE.  I'm attempting the platforms on the torpedo launchers.   I used a razor blade to cut them......but then I find that there is plastic film on both sides.   gotta get that off first...........it's a good thing I put a white sheet of paper on the table.  I'm using tweezers,  my x-actor,  and a pick to manipulate it.  Gibbs is laying at my feet under the desk.   I got it all bent into shape.......not too huge a task.....so far,  so good...........and then I drop it!

it lands on the floor very close to Gibbs.........I try to get up without alarming him..........but no dice,  Gibbs moves and the part is swept up in his fur!  before he can get too far,  I clipped the fur between two fingers and the platform slides out into the palm on my hand!   >WHEW!<  :omg: :excl:    the platforms are on the first one now.....no chance for a repeat performance,,,,,,,but,  I still have the other one to do.   can't wait to try the railings  ;) 

sorry Carl.....can't see the touch ups....I may need an electron microscope  ;)   looks great!

Edited by popeye the sailor
added text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The kit provided some PE chain, which crosses over on the capstan which does not make sense. A few photos back there is one of the anchor deck where 1 chain goes around the capstan and 1 is lashed. 

I used aftermarket RN anchors cut so I could actually fit them in, tied them to rusty chain, wrapped one around the capstan and dogged 1 to the deck, there is some CA shining which I’ll hit with matte varnish at the end. 

AB21535C-F234-4910-ABDA-37118D27C95C.jpeg

C2FE1DE9-2CB2-465A-9611-3ED55C34C79E.jpeg

Greg

looks extremely well done Greg ;)   I wondered why the hawse holes in the deck were so large.......makes sense now.   I'm not sure I have chain that small....I thought the same thing.   who ever heard of flat chain?

on mine........added some more parts to the fore structure......didn't get much further than that.  I went to Hobby Lobby to get some more paint.  while we were there,  of course I had to window shop.   there was the U.S.S. Arizona.....1:426 scale.......I eyed it...it looked so tempting.   I bought several bottles of paint,  a four pack of tweezers - Squadron models.......some thinner too.  An older gent was in the aisle too.......had the 1:150 'Connie' and one of those 'cars' models for kids {from the movie} in his arm.  he was looking over some of the military models,  like I was.   I commented on the B 25 Mitchel and the B 17 on the bottom shelf....adding that I build anything that crosses the table........he got into how he's not a huge modeler,  but wanted something to in his spare time.  the conversation went from that.....to wooden kits.....and different manufacturers......to balsa aircraft {yea.......we ran the gambit}  I mentioned the Arizona........he gave a nod......but then the admiral says......yea,  but it's plastic.  I saw the look on the man's face........and then I noticed the cap he was wearing........NAVY!  Pearl Harbor was the next subject,  along with some very eloquent damage control........we talked history,  and muddied it up,  mentioning the Missouri........and the fact that it's plastic,  held no bearing on it's significance.  he left with a......'nice talk'in to ya'.......and I breathed a sigh of relief.  she didn't mean it how it came out......but like I told her,  no harm done.   anyway,  with what I bought,  she told me to put it on my charge card........no problem,  I said.......as I snatched up the Arizona  ;)   :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

not elaborate the rigging ...right, I wish I could say that ... I find it hard enough to distinguish where to attach what!!! How did you make the rigging eyelets you have used on the deck, funnels etc. Mine look like monstrosities if i compare them to yours ... Pictures later of last efforts to make it look like a well equiped ship ...

Edited by cog

Carl

I agree with Carl..........not elaborate .........my eye!   where did you terminate all those lines!   nothing short of amazing Greg ....mine will never be that good :(  I will definitely be dragg'in my knuckles behind you at this point.

I wish I had noticed the cap sooner Carl..........very nice gentleman to talk to though.  I thought it was so cool that he bought the 'Cars' model for his grandson....I told him that I did the same for my two grand sons,  Chase and Tripp.   I may have to locate HobbyTown........Hobby lobby clearly doesn't have the paint selection that I'm accustomed to.   I have the sites book marked...may even look at an online purchase.   pretty soon,  it will be just you 'n me........Greg will be off on that other project that he mentioned earlier

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks all for the interest in the trio build & the likes

Thanks Greg, I'll look into that. I tried my hand at 0.2mm brass rod to turn it into a shapely ringlet ... fat chance, they look like manacles for an elephant

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I wish I had noticed the cap sooner Carl..........very nice gentleman to talk to though.  I thought it was so cool that he bought the 'Cars' model for his grandson

People whom buy cars for their grandchildren usually are nice, and subsequently nice to talk too ... there is the proverbial exception of course Popeye ... :huh:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

pretty soon,  it will be just you 'n me........Greg will be off on that other project that he mentioned earlier

We'll have double the fun, since the whiny is off whinying ;) ... strange he is such an accompished builder ... whom ever would have thought those qualities go together ... :o ;)

I have to admit, Denis, my next build is on it's way from the UK ...

I look where paints, e.a. are available and at what price (including postage) then I'll make my decision. I try to get materials from shops near by, but since modelbuilding seems to turn into a forgotten art, it does get harder ...

Carl

Still picking on me I see Cog. I can’t start on the railings for a couple of days, so you should catch up. 

I’ve promised myself to clean up the garden before I start my next one. I’m awaiting the PE from Korea and a reference book from the UK. This is such an international sport. The bloke who makes my wooden bases is busy at the moment so that final bit may be a while. I still need one for Isuzu. 

Popeye, you just can’t rig something like this without using the Elastic or Denier lines. One roll lasts forever. 

Greg

6 hours ago, RGL said:

Still picking on me I see Cog. I can’t start on the railings for a couple of days, so you should catch up. 

I’ve promised myself to clean up the garden before I start my next one. I’m awaiting the PE from Korea and a reference book from the UK. This is such an international sport. The bloke who makes my wooden bases is busy at the moment so that final bit may be a while. I still need one for Isuzu. 

Popeye, you just can’t rig something like this without using the Elastic or Denier lines. One roll lasts forever. 

I shan't, I'm awaiting PE from Singapore - paravane items - resin parts from Ukrain, which were OOS. I broke the davits whilst taking them of the sprue, so I'll be bashing them, to start with brass ... if that doesn't work for me - because I can only make them realistic at 1:50, I'll try styrene ...

I didn't promise myself such a task, it's a weekly thing ... mowing, pruning, picking strawberries. The latter a daily thing, but not to demanding, besides I always seem to carry in less than I picked on, I mean "up" ... You didn't finish Isuzu !?!?!? Something more to pick on ... stored for future reference ...

"One roll lasts forever." ........ don't strech it mate

Carl

56 minutes ago, RGL said:

Isuzu is finished, just needs the base.

The display is an important part of the build ... thus ...

How's the garden clean up going ... I just repaired the fence between the meadow and my garden,  trimmed the lawn at those akward corners, and am  trying to get my workbench in a state I can actually cut some brass for Vendetta ...

Edited by cog

Carl

you two are a riot..........just the laugh I needed after the day I had.   got home about 4:00 PM......still have to take a shower and do burgers on the grill.  the admiral is badgering me at the moment......can I drink a beer in peace?  just for that.....I'll drag my feet....and have two!  then I can have another while I'm cooking  ;) 

......a man's gotta have priorities :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

How about the build priority ... we should be #1 mister!!! No beer, you need a steady hand, we need progress, pictures, know what went wrong, brass pieces like shooting stars ...

P.s. save me a burger ... please

Carl

Cut Denis some slack.  A beer or two might just be the ticket to a steady hand.  And admiral's can stop ship production pretty fast.. so got to keep them happy.  A shipwright's work is never done... alas.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gee, if you guys are worried about Denis being so far behind, you two could stop and treat your audience to some fine food. Carl could whip up some of his world renowned Dutch sherbert/sorbet and  Greg could fire up the Barbie and rustle up some of those fine grilled Australian prawns. Maybe Denis could then catch up to you. ;)   Hmmmmmmm!    :D:D  

"Did someone mention a Burger"

:)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1