HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Greg

That forward funnel looks as tall as a mast compared to the aft funnel when you don't have a superstructure to balance it out. I really like the lighter prewar/early war color. Sometimes the everyday haze gray gets a little tiresome. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think in the US Navy with ships like the Houston and Panay/Oahu and other Asiatic ships it was a ghost gray. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Steam winches, paravane amidships, torpedo tubes and davits (about the only thing I used from the WEM set as they actually have some details. 

The torpedo tubes are probably no where near as good as what Cog is using from Shapeways but shipping is worth more than the piece. They still come up nicely 

F95E431F-C96A-4B1C-BD38-5158CDD6A32E.jpeg

F87D19F0-EA61-4ABB-94EA-AEF1317EEB40.jpeg

D247B1D4-1F5A-4A38-9E95-3A6C05DB9E20.jpeg

Greg

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the P 47B is off the table....no distractions  ;) 

"NOooooo  - bring Thud back - bring Thud bck"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Carl needs to post "LARGerrrrr   Pictures"    Please mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It's strange to see what looks like coal shuttles on what I am sure was an oil fired ship.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Bigger pictures OC ? ... they are 1920x1280px maybe just click on them ...

Greg she's turning out rather dressed up, and ready to go. How do you apply pastels on such a relatively small surface... medium, small sized soft or hard brush?

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

you two are just runn'in away!  .....and here's 'ole Popeye bring'in up the rear......putt'in along.........<putt>.........<Putt>    well,  I figured I'd do a bit of assembly yesterday.  I decided to go with the mask route.....the deck is on :)    will present a small problem in the paint dept,  but I think I can work around it.  get all this together,  and then I can play with some paint {over a tray}.....we all know how I like to drop paint  ;)  {when I say I threw the paint on.....I mean it!  :D }

first I made the stand......this thing was awkward to assemble.  luckily,  any glue spears are on the inner part of the stand.

5b1951a16504d_1.jpg.18301312e4882f7f28451c255dcfafc5.jpg

this was before I did anything to the hull

5b1951ef4850c_2.jpg.707a8f7f0d7558934e4ee07a9602f254.jpg

then I drilled out all the port holes........not totally satisfied with the results,  but too late now.   the aft section of the decking was added to the hull.   the fit was pretty good.......no gap really to speak of.   if I don't fill it with anything,  it might get regarded as deck detail {I hope}.

5b1952bc05fd9_3.jpg.9d651234d00e0728999ff06ad111c7df.jpg

5b1952c3274c6_4.jpg.9316ad0553a6ec6cd3d18a8ce9824fce.jpg

the forward bulkhead was next.   cut it off the sprue,  checked the fit.........and then ended up gluing it in backwards :default_wallbash:  it's OK though.......that's what PE is for  ;)     the bow sections were cemented in place.   nice fit there as well.

5b19534caffa2_5.jpg.f77d42350ff6bc5e2746371351d2e2c3.jpg

5b195355c0f34_6.jpg.a97015d67c2cfb158b3223b08ec8f361.jpg

the outer keel parts were next,,,,,,

5b195448d14d8_7.jpg.39a9bdc9804cda1119904755e3f4299e.jpg

don't mind the sprue dimples.......painted over,  they will be gone.   the screw shafts and rudder were next

5b1954abe3adb_8.jpg.745e4d707946b6be93b2439c46c296ee.jpg

5b1954b4eec15_9.jpg.78037421b9b3892c2328f8f15e197f88.jpg

there were a few small gaps on those keel parts,  so I used a bit of filler.   I'll sand it down later.

5b19550f5befc_10.jpg.7a826b4fe1749953bef077805b9b6436.jpg

I can sand this later........gotta let this dry for now.   I'll play with something else in the meantime  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And he's off ... glue the blukhead in backwards ... what are you mate ... doing that is ... hmmm, I'm looking forward t your splashing paint all over the desk ...  you'll need some extra masking sheets to work that way, tape won't be enough.

Carl

getting paint on my desk would be an improvement  :D  :D    what can I say.........I didn't have my 2.0's on!  you two are doing some really good macro pictures...it doesn't show the folks out there just how small these parts are.   right now,  I'm assembling the torpedo tubes.   I've already dropped a couple of the parts on the floor.......found 'em.......so far,  so good.   the PE looks even worse.........I'm gonna go to the drug store to see if I can find some 3.0's!  ;)  {not really}......I have ways to magnify what I'm doing.  the base of the launcher is made up of three parts...I have one assembled to this point.   here is is in size to a penny {US}

5b1971bcaff8a_1.jpg.e949d87fc1de7820839963c0582bffa0.jpg

these are the part that it's comprised of.........

5b1971e48f3ff_2.jpg.9ed183b823eb08ecb88a1bd731c00317.jpg

the aft structure has been started.......

5b1972349973b_3.jpg.09efcbe33438379be80eabe7f06643bc.jpg

and the fore structure has been started.

5b19725016e88_4.jpg.c85689435ef96b64915307efcef79875.jpg

I could have use a Singapore 20 cent piece.......but it's larger than the American Penny  :) 

5b197352a15d9_5.jpg.b06e5769b98d88db7a9f8d6ed88397c8.jpg

it's a fairly new coin...........2011.   I'll go back to play time now :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

10 hours ago, cog said:

Bigger pictures OC ? ... they are 1920x1280px maybe just click on them ...

Greg she's turning out rather dressed up, and ready to go. How do you apply pastels on such a relatively small surface... medium, small sized soft or hard brush?

Its ok mate they just look a little smaller on the screen without clicking them,  great work all the same.

OC.

1 hour ago, cog said:

And he's off ... glue the blukhead in backwards ... what are you mate ... doing that is ... hmmm, I'm looking forward t your splashing paint all over the desk ...  you'll need some extra masking sheets to work that way, tape won't be enough.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very nice work with the hull Greg, that plating effect showing the 'ribs' looka great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It looks like that last gun turret is pretty much useless or do things drop down in real life?   I'm thinking the ventilators don't allow much in the way of traverse either.   Very nice work on the detailing Greg.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You passed me by RGL. I'm waiting on snail mail to arrive ... where is roadrunner when you need him ... I knw this was going to happen. A lot of silence at the start, not much to show and ... BOOM ... there is ship in full colour, with all the frills and bells available. Looks very sharp though. I would say: As per your usual!

MArk, thanks for that remark on the aft gun turret ... I'll have another look at the plans ... it really makes that gun rather uselaess, which I cannot blieve to be the case ...

Carl

The barrels are probably a bit too long but it was available in spares and not plastic, I think that there was probably only 2 paravane a on the stern not 4, as it is just too busy and the crane is probably a bit too big but I like them. 

The funnels/ vents down the sides are resin spares and probably about 1 to 1.5 mm too highly, but once the railing goes on it won’t matter. 

I imagine the rear rear cannon would be a broadside weapon or if being chased. 

Greg

13 minutes ago, RGL said:

The barrels are probably a bit too long but it was available in spares and not plastic, I think that there was probably only 2 paravane a on the stern not 4, as it is just too busy and the crane is probably a bit too big but I like them. 

You could compare it to mine

The funnels/ vents down the sides are resin spares and probably about 1 to 1.5 mm too highly, but once the railing goes on it won’t matter. 

the ones I used are from the kit about 2.5 3mm high

I imagine the rear rear cannon would be a broadside weapon or if being chased. 

You couldn't shoot straight back since the mast/pole would be in the way, or is that one retractable ... which would go for the one at the bow too

Carl

I knew this would happen...........your almost done Greg!   but what did I expect......your such a wizard with PE........what an awesome looking model :)   you've done just as well Carl.......really top notch job there  ;) 

cripes!  the PE I ordered is just hitting the mainland,  and is being processed by customs :huh:  I've enough PE supplied in the kit,  so I can continue until it get's here.

I began to assemble the aft section of the fore structure.

5b1a8cd59aed6_1.jpg.03784647a0485b1ff11cdac762cf1220.jpg

add the roof and the front fascia,  and the shell will be comprised of five parts.  while this was drying,  I will cement the rear covers on the torpedo tubes......another 6 parts.  I took a part count last night on just the torpedo launchers....there are comprised of 17 parts.  it's pretty amazing,  considering how small they are.

5b1a8da76d6bd_2.jpg.9e9012b4fcc61b34b653305020dcc8b6.jpg

5b1a9025ce876_4.jpg.52ac62200c92f13cb5913026790720c8.jpg

I should just say the heck with it and decant some more of the primer red for the hull bottom,  but I took to mixing paint again.   by this time,  I was able to cement the two parts of the fore structure together.  it's actually coming out better that the structure I made for the Jeanne D-Arc......that one was a pain in the butt!   I'm not sure if anyone noticed,  but in early models,  these structures were usually assembled in halves {left and right}.......I had never done one that involved assembling each individual wall together.  an evolution in the model industry?........dunno >shrug<  {just thought it was interesting}

5b1a900e5bf58_3.jpg.45bf27522a194cda2e587dedd166cdff.jpg

here is an idea of how small these covers are.......

5b1a90931edb7_5.jpg.65497fb4cdff242297235c4f2a87f3f3.jpg

this is flat red,  a little flat light tan,  and flat brown.   it looks good.......but I still might decant some primer red and compare the two.

5b1a912a8ca12_6.jpg.18e017be199b56bee6cff3528de1d855.jpg

still plugg'in away........hope to have more done today  :)   you guys are doing a stellar job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: