S.E.5a by CDW - Squadron Encore - 1:32 Scale

13 minutes ago, CDW said:

Wow, OC. You are quite the resourceful one when it comes to searching down aircraft details. Thanks for those....they will get put to use.

Just like to  help my friends and family on here if I can.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 minutes ago, CDW said:

Can you imagine....if just one lucky (or well placed) round was to hit and sever that cable, aileron control would be totally lost and the plane would probably spiral to earth in a death crash. Such was the life and times of WW1 aviators. A brave bunch those were when aircraft were so unreliable and fragile.

You are so right  - it was such a dangerous time and the  bravery of the pilots was amazing,    there is an event over here called Shuttleworth Fly In  all period planes from WW2  to biplanes  - some amazing  yet seem so fragile  aircraft.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So I got up this morning with the full intention of spending some quality model building time. But there was one little thing I wanted to do first out in the yard. One thing led to another (more yard work) and the next thing I knew, it was time to come inside and take a shower, change clothes, and take my daughter and granddaughter to drop them off at the movie theater. After picking them up, my wife wanted to take them to the mall to pick out new birthday clothing. Right, getter done. Came home and did more yard work until it was dark. 

It's time for another shower and change of clothing, but it's my full intention of burning the late night oil to get that modeling time in. To get myself in the mood, I like to listen to favorite music, like this one. Oh yeah, I am ready now.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, CDW said:

was the actual aircraft fitted with glass over the pulley and cable for a quick visual inspection?

Yes, I happened to live in Tulsa when Jack Kearby was working on and finishing his production-accurate SE5a using Replicraft plans. I got to crawl all around, unfortunately before the days of good cell phone cams. I didn't see the first flight, but I think I visited the weekend after and saw him fly it. At the time I was flying actively and would have strongly considered donating a testicle if it would have allowed me to fly it, but not surprisingly he never offered... sigh. I don't think anyone else flew it when he owned it, if I recall he sold it at some point.

Jack Kearby's S.E.5a

I received this 1:28 Revell Spad model kit today. The thing that makes this kit remarkable is the fact this is the original first production run of the kit from 1965. It's been re boxed and re released many times since over the years.

This one has the parts, instructions, and decals still sealed inside in their original bag. An examination of the parts bag reveals little to no flash at all and the molded parts are very sharp and crisp. I remember building the original kit in this same box from back then, 1965 or 66 when my big brother was in Viet Nam with 1st Air Cav.

DSCN2455.JPG

I like that scale........I have a Fokker D VII that I built a short time ago.   I'd love to get a hold of a couple Brit planes.......even the tri plane  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I like that scale........I have a Fokker D VII that I built a short time ago.   I'd love to get a hold of a couple Brit planes.......even the tri plane  ;) 

Right now, go to "lots-of-models.com" website. Do a search for 1:28 Hobbycraft DR.1 (or triplane). If he hasn't already sold it by the time you look, add in the code "spring10" to get a 10% discount. You can buy that triplane for $25, shipped priority mail. That is the Revell kit reboxed by Hobbycraft.

That's also where I bought this SPAD. A great 2nd hand kit dealer whose prices include 1st class shipping (and don't for get the discount code for 10% off). 

I book marked the site..........found it straight away :)   that's a different box than the one I had.   I'll have to see if the budget director will allow me to get it.........still under the thumb after the stagecoach 💸

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

On 5/22/2019 at 1:13 PM, CDW said:

I received this 1:28 Revell Spad model kit today.

This actually reminded me that I built that as a kid in the early '70s. It was the first time I tried to do camouflage painting by hand, as I recall it came out awfully, but I learned a lot. I may go buy one just to see it again after all these years.

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

This actually reminded me that I built that as a kid in the early '70s. It was the first time I tried to do camouflage painting by hand, as I recall it came out awfully, but I learned a lot. I may go buy one just to see it again after all these years.

The same dealer I mentioned earlier, a couple of posts back, has another SPAD for sale.

I'll try and get some photos up tonight, but work around the house has taken priority over model building interests lately with a series of impromptu projects that truly needed to be done and were of a much higher priority than my models. Frankly, the Florida heat has grown so high (already and not even summer yet) that I really haven't felt much like doing any modeling in the evenings after a day's hard work in the sun. I am guessing that temperatures easily reached 100 out in the direct sun I was in yesterday and the days before. My dogs didn't even want to go outside. Besides being man's best friend/s, they are probably smarter than me as well. 😎

Pretty soon, I will begin painting our house and repairing/replacing a few soffit and facia boards. Will be basically stripping it down, recaulking, priming the entire exterior with a primer/sealer/mildew paint, then applying the colors of the Admiral's choosing. Done this way, it should likely be the last outdoor paint job I will do myself on this house. Any that may need doing after this will get done by either a contractor I choose or by another owner. I'll be too darn old to do it myself unless I can still do it in my eighties. 🤥

When I have worked on my S.E.5a model, it has helped me more appreciate the Wingnut Wings kits. This one comes will all the little extras to improve the rough stock Roden kit, but man, it's a lot of extra work and sometimes difficult to figure out exactly how it's all intended to fit together. The instruction pages are rather poor in this regard. Thanks to OC and the links he shared, photos of the actual plane have helped a lot to get it sorted out.

I know what you mean.......I stopped modeling for a number of years...we owned our own home and I got too busy.  glad that the bug never left ;) 

we are a patient lot....... ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I'll try and get some photos up tonight, but work around the house has taken priority over model building interests lately with a series of impromptu projects that truly needed to be done and were of a much higher priority than my models. Frankly, the Florida heat has grown so high (already and not even summer yet) that I really haven't felt much like doing any modeling in the evenings after a day's hard work in the sun. I am guessing that temperatures easily reached 100 out in the direct sun I was in yesterday and the days before. My dogs didn't even want to go outside. Besides being man's best friend/s, they are probably smarter than me as well. 😎

Pretty soon, I will begin painting our house and repairing/replacing a few soffit and facia boards. Will be basically stripping it down, recaulking, priming the entire exterior with a primer/sealer/mildew paint, then applying the colors of the Admiral's choosing. Done this way, it should likely be the last outdoor paint job I will do myself on this house. Any that may need doing after this will get done by either a contractor I choose or by another owner. I'll be too darn old to do it myself unless I can still do it in my eighties. 🤥

When I have worked on my S.E.5a model, it has helped me more appreciate the Wingnut Wings kits. This one comes will all the little extras to improve the rough stock Roden kit, but man, it's a lot of extra work and sometimes difficult to figure out exactly how it's all intended to fit together. The instruction pages are rather poor in this regard. Thanks to OC and the links he shared, photos of the actual plane have helped a lot to get it sorted out.

I used to work for a housing repair company we worked mainly on replacing facias and soffit boards, there would be two of us on ladders at each end  remove the guttering - pull away the old facia boards , then we would paint up and run a slanted edge  - before nailing the  new boards in place, then run a line for the guttering brackets  to get the right water run off.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Hornblower said:

I just happened to barge in on this topic, which I am quite glad I did.  I am a WWI aviation enthusiast, so I have found your discussion most interesting.  Best of luck with the model CDW, I look forward to more photos of the build.

Caleb

Glad to have you aboard, Caleb. In the future, I have a large number of different WW1 aircraft to finish as I have become very fond of the Wingnut Wings series of models.

That is mighty fine looking work there mate  - love the dash  and the clocks.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Anyone remember the old Miami Dolphins? This picture is me with Larry Csonka just prior to their undefeated super bowl season in 1972.

At the time was being recruited to play college football at the University of Miami and this was on a visit to the school. 

To say this was a huge fullback was an understatement in orders of magnitude. He was every bit of 250 pounds. I played safety and only weighed about 200. Can you imagine having to solo tackle this guy when he had a full head of steam? It would have been a nightmare I guarantee you that.

img013.thumb.jpg.36e0b99825df57d252544a5c851de687.jpg

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Anyone remember the old Miami Dolphins? This picture is me with Larry Csonka just prior to their undefeated super bowl season in 1972.

At the time was being recruited to play college football at the University of Miami and this was on a visit to the school. 

To say this was a huge fullback was an understatement in orders of magnitude. He was every bit of 250 pounds. I played safety and only weighed about 200. Can you imagine having to solo tackle this guy when he had a full head of steam? It would have been a nightmare I guarantee you that.

img013.thumb.jpg.36e0b99825df57d252544a5c851de687.jpg

That is a cool picture  and what a fanastic memory for you.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

only celebrity I saw was the army recruiter.   my older brother was in the army,  so I got a lot of his hand me down.   I was wearing my 'army duds'  when I met Sargent Steel.  we chatted for a while....he was impressed that I was in full army dress.   I had the boots,  belt........all that.....even the fold able hat {had it in my back pocket.  he kinda frowned when I told him I actually wanted to go in the Air Force......had plans to go on to be a commercial pilot.  then he remarked how I looked about his size.........said he had something in his closet,  that I might like :blink:  a week later,,  I was called to the office.  Mrs. Merrill, the ast. principal pointed to the  coat rack and told me Sargent Steel left it for me...........a full dress uniform!  it was complete......hat and all! all the brass buttons and everything!  I wore it to Mr. McCaffery's class one day.......we were learning about the war in world history.  you could tell he was an old army man........he saluted me when I came in!!! :D 

Just call me Klinger ;)   but I wore army,  not dresses  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: