Le Coureur by GioMun - Scale 1/48 - using Jean Boudriot's monograph - Finished

Hello!

It's been a long time since i posted the last time. Actually it was in the old fórum.

In these last years i'm been building the lougre Le Coureur. It has been my first Arsenal model, so it took a lot of mistakes, and time to figure out how to keep doing it.

One of the first "issues" to resolve was the clinker built planking, wich it came out how you see it in the pictures. Then, every step was taken very carefully, triyng to keep as "arsenal" as posible. I even had to remove the white paint on the hull, because i didn't like the effect achieved.

Fortunatly, the Boudriot gives every explenation of what you need, and thanks to Mr. Delacroix, and the guys on his fórum, i could find a lot of answers too.

And of course here too! That's why i'm presenting you this model, wich some of you may remember from the old fórum, and for those that are knowing it for the first time, i hope you like it.

Today my LC it is about to get finished, so i post picutres in chronological order to undrstand how the construction was made. And i'll be happy to keep you informed, if you are interested of course, of the finishing of this project.

I hope you join my adventure!

So, pictures......

Espejo_completo_1.jpg

18.JPG

Cubierta_accesorios.jpg

Overall1.jpg

Guns1.jpg

Deck1.jpg

Canot et canons.jpg

HPIM1166.JPG

6DE6BD5C-F9FF-434B-A03B-2F2A27CA3525.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

I wasn't around here at the time of the old forum, so I haven't seen your build log before.  Other than some slightly irregular decking seams, I can't say that I can detect any obvious errors that you mentioned.  On the contrary, your photos of the transom and the ships boat show that you have some areas that are very well done. 

I haven't seen many ships modeled with clinker style planking, as it appears to be a rather hard detail to master, but again, it looks like you did a credible job of that also.  Your sails are also shown to good effect.  Overall, (despite some errors that you claim to have made that are not readily visible to me), your ship looks quite well done.:cheers:

Edited by BETAQDAVE
spelling

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Thank you Dave and Roger.

The errors i'm talking about, in the Arsenal mode, are errors that make your work, look a little naif.

If the adjustements in Wood joining are not almost perfect (as example), it dosen't look acceptable, or deetails in general, everything must look as clean as possible, otherwise you won't be succesfull. The sense of sclae is essential, and in those terms, i did a lot of mistakes. Hope for next models, those deetails will be better treated.

As for the clinker, it's a little challenging when you never did it before, but once you find out the technics available in ship modelling you find out a very nice way to do it. I followed the Frolich's book, in the chapter dedicated to LC.

In the next days i'll be posting new picutres of the model. I hope to be finishing it next week.

Thanks again.

Greetings.

Giorgio.

tingladillo 005.jpg

tingladillo 006.jpg

Hello shipmates!

After the weekend i can say that i almsot finish the LC.

There are a few things to finish and i'm done. Flags, finishing some belaying, and of course, figures and case.

Hope you like it. I finished it late night yesterday, so better pictures will come later, on daylight.

General views, and of course, we had the visit of Capt. Rosily (still without his uniform B)), but he seems to be satisfied.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

Next update soon.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by GioMun
Orthography

Beautifully done, Giorgio.  Capt. Rosily should be very happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

Hello my dear collegues!

I have recently finished my Le Coureur. It's been a long way, but every journey has its end.

I can only say this building  was a real pleasure. 

Thanks to all those who walked with me in this journey. 

I'm posting these pictures, wich are the last i took last weekend. 

I hope you like them.  I decided to add a representation of the main frame, showing the climker planking on one side. And Capt. Rosily and his crew are already on board.

This project is completed! Hope to see you in my future builds! 

Thank you very much for your comments, they are always important to me. :10_1_10:

im_18.jpeg

im_22.jpeg

im_20.jpeg

im_21.jpeg

im_13.jpeg

im_15.jpeg

im_14.jpeg

im_16.jpeg

im_12.jpeg

im_11.jpeg

im_8.jpeg

im_19.jpeg

im_7.jpeg

Well done Giorgio, it is a pleasure to see this completed.

What's next?

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Very well done, Giorgio.  Beautiful work.  I like that addition of the small cross-section and lets the viewer know how the hull was constructed.  And figures do bring it to life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for the likes and comments!

Bruce, i really don't know what's next. I started a Swift (pilot boat based on Artesania Latina's plans), but it's just a small project. 

So i haven't decided still what comes after LC !! ☹️

Inspiration will make the choice!! 

Mark, thank you for your comments about the cross section. When people see the clinker planking always ask how these ships where built. So, now i can explain it with a model. And that is the essence of the arsenal models. So, i'm happy i made that choice.

I'm glad you like the figures, i like the effect they give to a model.

Thanks again to all my shipmates!! :cheers:

On 5/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

I wasn't around here at the time of the old forum, so I haven't seen your build log before.  Other than some slightly irregular decking seams, I can't say that I can detect any obvious errors that you mentioned.  On the contrary, your photos of the transom and the ships boat show that you have some areas that are very well done. 

I haven't seen many ships modeled with clinker style planking, as it appears to be a rather hard detail to master, but again, it looks like you did a credible job of that also.  Your sails are also shown to good effect.  Overall, (despite some errors that you claim to have made that are not readily visible to me), your ship looks quite well done.:cheers:

While my intent is not to begin a debate over decks and how to finish them, I personally was drawn immediately to the wonderful effect of this deck finish. It looks fantastic in my opinion and the small irregularities in the caulking leads to a more natural look that adds character to the  model.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Thank you Ponto for your opinion. 

I've been told that the model has an old look, just like if it was an old museum model, with a lot of stories to tell. I like what i have achieved in that sense. 

There is no robot work in here, that's why those irregularities. And as you said, they give an "old" look to the model, wich i like a lot.

Thanks again.

Greetings.

Giorgio.

6 minutes ago, GioMun said:

Thank you Ponto for your opinion. 

I've been told that the model has an old look, just like if it was an old museum model, with a lot of stories to tell. I like what i have achieved in that sense. 

There is no robot work in here, that's why those irregularities. And as you said, they give an "old" look to the model, wich i like a lot.

Thanks again.

Greetings.

Giorgio.

All the accolades should be pointed at you for your achievement. While I appreciate builders who have the skills to achieve a look of clean perfection in a build, I admire builds that show character without looking sloppy. In some cases this may be more difficult to achieve than the "clean" look.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),