Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I like your choice of ‘red.’  What did you use?

Thanks Glenn.  Winston & Newton Galeria acrylic brand with the color crimson.  Although I have never used them my daughter who paints uses Grumbacher brand and seems to like them.  I may try them on next model which may just be the Cheerful.  Following you as you get started has me looking forward to the next one.  I still have  much to do with this one before I make that decision 

Recent progress

IMG_1915.jpeg.357ac7421537a5a2caf3b86146305738.jpeg

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Lovely!!!!!   Brings back memories.  This is when it really starts coming together.

Thanks Chuck, with kit like this how ever do I go back to a regular kit again???  

(oh right I don't)

Did I miss something? You painted all those friezes since your last post? Wow!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

4 hours ago, jdbondy said:

Did I miss something? You painted all those friezes since your last post? Wow!

JD I was at the NRG conference in St Petersburg Fl a few years ago and Gus Augestine (I think that how you spell) gave a presentation and just said it was easy just:  "bloop/bloop/bloop" <while waving hand in air in a small circle> so I thought I would give it a try.........  hahahahaha can't even type that with a straight face

The kit had pre-printed paper friezes to cut out with a scalpel and using a regular glue stick to adhere to the model :)

2 hours ago, 6ohiocav said:

Mike,

I was ready to crown you a modern day Michelangelo. See and hear you this Saturday?

Some day maybe on a future project I might try something like that but for now the printed paper is tough enough for me.

Yup I will be there

First time using the weathering powders and it seems to have come out pretty nicely.  Compared my test carving piece with a single coat of wop the color isn't perfect but looks pretty good to the eye.

IMG_1917.thumb.jpeg.c1c23a559b8115d935fcc4daa674a90b.jpeg

The next pictures are just the piece resting prior to adhering to get a sense what it would look like

IMG_1918.thumb.jpeg.d7d2576e8ef32079ba57df9f3131b53e.jpeg

IMG_1919.thumb.jpeg.80f95d824d5c8ada05e752b1a5cff8af.jpeg

IMG_1920.thumb.jpeg.9f1846b9feb792e878669bd85ddf463e.jpeg

I am going to go another round to see if I can match it even closer

• 1 month later...

Yes i think that looks good as well.  No need to match perfectly as a little variation actually looks good.  The surface quality looks excellent and its not “over-weathered” and blotchy which is what happens sometimes.  Your ate perfectly subtle with the right color.

Michael - not sure how I missed your update.  Your paint and carving look great!!

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

14 hours ago, Chuck said:

The surface quality looks excellent and its not “over-weathered” and blotchy which is what happens sometimes.

Thanks Chuck. It was interesting using the powders for the first time and they did seem to work out pretty well.

9 hours ago, davec said:

Your paint and carving look great!!

Thank you Dave.

I like it.  The pictures really show the dust but here is the attached transom area

IMG_1923.jpeg.79645234ca5c05daba3665c75bf7b1e7.jpeg

The floral trailboard at the bow, did it need to have any contouring of its backside to get it to lie fairly against the bow planking?

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

3 hours ago, jdbondy said:

The floral trailboard at the bow, did it need to have any contouring of its backside to get it to lie fairly against the bow planking?

It was just a carving out of the trim pieces very carefully to keep it tight and then I did sand very slightly the bottom edge of that plank so it would lay flatter. Also (probably going to make Chuck’s head explode) I very very very carefully heated the peace and the resin soften just a little bit and it was able to become flexible enough to glue closely.  And by very carefully I mean probably less than one second total time. Also did the same with the rear mermaids and they seemed to come out fine

I figured what’s the worst that can happen. I display my ignorance for the entire world to see and everybody laughs at me. And then I pay Chuck for another set

Its very pliable...so yes that can be done but better to use a hair drier to heat it so you wont risk risk melting it.  Works a treat.

7 minutes ago, Chuck said:

use a hair drier

Yup that's what I did.  I just held it in my fingers and passed it through the hot air 2-3 times.  Had to have been less than a second of total "heat" time

7 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Haven't seen your log for awhile Michael. She's looking beautiful. Will be quite a showpiece when you're done.

Thanks Greg.  Every one of these steps is a learning opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Been away for a while but now have quite a bit of time to get back to the barge.  My job basically doesn't care how much time I take off as long as I get all of my shifts and hours in so I have been working really hard to jam all my shifts in so I can go on vacation.  Welp, I am now just started my vacation however with the pandemic I cannot travel to where we were planning to go so I will be stuck at home for the next week.

One good thing about the time at work is we do occasionally have some down time.  A while back someone at my club was getting rid of some old mags so I grabbed them and I have been going through a bunch of old NRG journals from the 80's and there is so much great content in there.  One issue had an article by Harold Hahn, and Jean Boudroit and by the Kriegsteins about their collection.

For the Barge I have the rudder, sweeps, flags, and the carvings let to do.  Will be starting tomorrow.

Probably shouldn't get ahead fo myself but I am trying to decide on the next project.  Something like Cheerful which I really like and I have the package for.  I love the Pride of Baltimore II and have that kit in my stash.  I also was interested in a x-section such as the Triton.  The Triton would be a stepping stone to the Echo x-section with its much more complex framing.  

3 minutes ago, druxey said:

Actually, Echo has less frame components than Triton!

This is quite interesting, I was considering both as well but was leaning towards the Triton as well.

Interesting I thought all the Echo frames were all of a different thickness for the floors,first/second/third futtocks?  It also has that (for lack of a better word) curvy futtock that runs next to the gunport. It looks like the Triton frames are all one thickness maybe 

I haven't seen the Triton cross section framing plans but if all the floors, futtocks and toptimbers are the same thickness this is a modelers convention to make the construction easier.  Her timbers would have diminished in thickness as well. We chose a section of Echo that had only one cast toptimber. It's not that difficult to do. Plans and build instructions are all free on our Admiralty Models build site.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752