Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

13 hours ago, MEDDO said:

After spraying both sides lightly I gently shaped it with my fingers as well as the roundish tips of a pair of hemostats and the end of a round paint brush.  The spray has about 10-15 minute wet time so there was plenty of time to shape it.  I was able to spray again if it did not dry in a nice enough shape.  

This is essentially how did my flag on the Medway Longboat as well. I must have sprayed it 5 or 6 times to wet it again until I got a shape I was happy with. I used a variety of various width dowels to help me shape the flag. The only obstacle for me was that my fingers would get sticky from the artist fixative and that made it tedious trying not to ruin the shape when they would get stuck to the flag. I had to use a very light touch. 

I was just looking at an old MSW thread on miniature flags the other day. There seem to be several sources for flags made of fabric for modelers. I think that would be the way to go if you can find the flag and size you need. They should hang naturally if they are made of a thin, soft material.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I've always left flags off models as I could never get them to look realistic enough. You've managed it beautifully, and I'll certainly have a go with your method in future.

And I'm strongly tempted to get the barge having seen your superb work (once I've finished several other items already in the dockyard!).

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

9 hours ago, BobG said:

The only obstacle for me was that my fingers would get sticky from the artist fixative and that made it tedious trying not to ruin the shape when they would get stuck to the flag.

I also had this problem.  One of my first attempts basically glued the flag to a paint brush handle and as I was trying to free it it ripped.  With more experience I was able to shape them without it getting too sticky.

26 minutes ago, DelF said:

I've always left flags off models as I could never get them to look realistic enough. You've managed it beautifully, and I'll certainly have a go with your method in future.

And I'm strongly tempted to get the barge having seen your superb work (once I've finished several other items already in the dockyard!).

Derek

Thank you Derek.  You certainly should pick up one of these “most excellent” kits.  You will to regret it

On 8/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, MEDDO said:

Still eyeing the Cheerful

Hope to see you started on this soon. I’m eying the barge as a future project and will have your log marked as reference. I’m looking for another active log😀

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

9 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Hope to see you started on this soon. I’m eying the barge as a future project and will have your log marked as reference. I’m looking for another active log😀

It really is helpful to have others build logs to reference.  The new tag system makes finding them much easier than before.  I especially used the great log by @JpR62.  Also the middle of @Chuck 45 page thread was very nice here

• 1 month later...

Was able to get the carvings mounted up on some scrap.  Remembering to flip one side so they are symmetrical

IMG_2101.jpeg.363cefbdc5d39e147dda63b2eb92ff2e.jpeg

I think they fit very nicely.  

IMG_2108.thumb.jpeg.bd96bcc2113bce5a77e15fe9322dbbc7.jpeg

IMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.61957673cb0badeebb8f1edbdf809af5.jpeg

Initially I thought the color was too light in relation to the cast pieces but in natural light they do match pretty well.

Need to clean up some paint spots and then just have to mount it on its base add the rudder/tiller and will be done.  I think I am going with a plain case from Casesforcollectables.  Not sure they are the same but they look like the ones @Trussben used for his barge and longboat.  

Will take some nice final pictures when I get a chance.

Amazing work, well beyond anything I’d ever try. My patience is tested enough as it is with my models. Nicely done!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Amazing work, well beyond anything I’d ever try. My patience is tested enough as it is with my models. Nicely done!

Thank you Glenn.  I keep looking at your Cheerful and wonder how I could do anything even close to your neatness

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

Outstanding work...

Thank you Chuck.  This is a FANTASTIC kit!  Hope you keep selling these and developing many more 

I just thought I would put up a few pictures.  Just a bit of paint touch up and dusting left

IMG_2111.jpeg.afdbc1ab4e2758b5814eed52f2b065eb.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg.efc9739e760bf04e56bcd40645dc826c.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg.971ec785a7e7b78dc273ddd70e16128b.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg.7f49f13ab2f5a6064d1e598dc79498c6.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg.aa8385d706a12eefa12084432fd63456.jpeg

Stunning! Most definitely on my tick list!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Great job Michael.  It is a beautiful model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Superb! You must be very proud. 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Wonderful result ! The time invested on the carvings is well worth it. The barge is absolutely magnificent.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I am just finishing up a new batch of these kits as I write this.  You did a fantastic job with it.  This model kit is a as close to the contemporary versions you will ever see.  And those pictures really show how well you executed.  Well done....and straight out of the box.  You didnt have to bash or replace any items. That is a testament to your skills. 

Thanks DelF, Jean-Paul and Jeff.  

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

I am just finishing up a new batch of these kits as I write this.

Thank you Chuck!  I hope you sell everyone of those.  I hope my own meager efforts convince anyone that they can do it and to just take the plunge and get one of these amazing kits

Congratulations! Now it's time for a cleaning of the shop, followed by opening up the next project...

I hope the pandemic resurgence isn't too bad in your area!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

2 hours ago, jdbondy said:

Congratulations! Now it's time for a cleaning of the shop, followed by opening up the next project...

I hope the pandemic resurgence isn't too bad in your area!

Thanks JD.  Cleaning the shop is a priority.  I have a fairly large office and as a consequence of so much room is I basically can dump stuff and not worry about it getting in the way.  End result I have boxes the movers put down 11 years ago I have never moved......  I would like to get some type of cabinets to organize some stuff.  

We never had a lull after the first month or two.  We are pretty close to being overrun with every facility running at max capacity most of the time.  So far we are holding the line...

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Very nice result, Michael. So, what's next?

Thank you Druxey.  Everyone step I am learning more and more.  Next up is still up in the air.  I really want to get away from traditional kits although will eventually be building the Pride of Baltimore II but not just yet.  

The 2 choices are Cheerful and Echo cross section.  Each has some pretty big challenges for me.  Will be thinking about it a bit more while I clean up my workshop...