Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

Basically the front of the rear seats

IMG_1866.jpeg.d0929f6a216464eb497639b96c590c38.jpeg

paint these and then place on model then I can proceed to build up the rear seating and panels

Mike,

Duh, an actual armrest for a seat.  I thought that was some special naval item that I had never heard of. What kind of wood is that made of that would cause it to curl when painted on one side.  Looks like you fixed it up good.

1 hour ago, 6ohiocav said:

What kind of wood is that made of

The entire model is cherry with a few boxwood trim pieces

No more potato chips for me

Edited by MEDDO

Michael, I have been delinquent in following your build. Great work! When you made the homemade scraper, what kind of incredibly small file were you using to cut the desired shape into the scraper?

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

1 hour ago, jdbondy said:

Michael, I have been delinquent in following your build. Great work! When you made the homemade scraper, what kind of incredibly small file were you using to cut the desired shape into the scraper?

I just have the regular Grobet needle files and they were way too big.  No matter what I tried I couldn't get the profile small enough so after I heated the blade as hot as possible and let it slowly cool (basically trying to un-harden it) I just used this saw.  For a cheapo micro mark saw I use this thing all the time.  I also occasionally break blades but have a few hundred more so eh.... I was able to then finish the profile off with the very tips of the files

IMG_1868.jpeg.c1b0b67806344aebd92cacd6438ca334.jpeg

edit: btw the blade width is 1/64in

Edited by MEDDO

Starting to get the rear seating area started.  I am painting the uprights as it will be difficult later as the bench tops overhang a bit.

IMG_1881.thumb.jpeg.14f79797ca23350512116fb8c76edf1d.jpeg

As I am waiting between coats of the paint I have been practicing carving.  On each piece I am getting better and doing less damage.  This time was able to avoid knocking off any of the tips.  It is about 60% there, still need more practice.

IMG_1885.jpeg.9611a6c910ba85f99cb9b441d8ed9445.jpeg

This is just a test piece so I decided to use a small portion of the most valuable thing in my shop and release it from the backing.  The isopropyl alcohol soaked in and in about 15 minutes it just floated free.

IMG_1886.jpeg.4ca5074d54a83efbfade0a9a754992ac.jpeg

After letting it dry I just dropped it on the model to get an idea of what it would look like.  Would probably use some wipe on ploy on the final pieces.

IMG_1887.jpeg.b1abe898bfa0078d406b0713b355d088.jpeg

I think the trim pieces should have been placed closer together but o well to the unaided eye it looks fine.

Now back to painting...

That looks really good.  You could probably remove the lower molding and just place it higher.  As long as the plank joint doesnt show.  That would close up that space a bit.

Chuck

Great job on the carving, Michael! That's impressive given the scale and intricacy of it. Did you start the carving with just a line drawing on the wood?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Chuck I am going to think about it.  

Thank Bob!  

3 hours ago, BobG said:

Did you start the carving with just a line drawing on the wood?

The carvings are included in the kit.  I think the kit comes with resin castings and the boxwood ones are an extra.  Sort of an introduction to carving

IMG_1888.jpeg.e5c4be4320334637c6c5adaa628c93ad.jpeg

40 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Those carvings do look really nice; even with that boxwood start I’m very impressed! You’re doing a great job on this.

Thanks!  Every attempt gets better.  

• 2 weeks later...

Recent update.  It seems to be paint, paint, paint and more paint.  Have the seats and back in as well as the front platform.  The risers and stretchers were a bit more difficult to place but seemed to go ok.  Next up is the thwarts and then more painting :) 

IMG_1896.jpeg.424b5566e43f5cc3ef30880f83461f49.jpeg

Thanks JD

Was able to start shaping the thwarts and they seem to line up fairly well.  I really appreciate that they were oversized and could be fit to match.  Next up working on the upper inner planking

IMG_1897.jpeg.798beefc5b3f4353dd093d8f395198f9.jpeg

Mike,

Looks great. I was just getting interested in your build report at our Shipwrights of Central Ohio virtual meeting when the feed shut down.

Glad to see you are making steady progress

So I have been able to get some of the painting done.  It seems to have some out fairly well.  Not sure how many coats but probably 12ish I think.

IMG_1904.jpeg.b144832216dbcfda20445e75cb814ece.jpeg

Moving on to the panels.  Following picture is just a dry fit.  these are really delicate and I am glad I have a few extras.

IMG_1906.jpeg.ffab60bdd0c75a906ebe55faff72df78.jpeg

still need to the forward panel.  With what is left over I think those will be 2 of the 4 panels in the middle fo the picture as they are slightly curved in an arc and should be able to be bent "just a bit" to fit the front curvature.

IMG_1907.jpeg.d6b54ce469e6b57dfc4d6a5dbf8d04d7.jpeg

very glad for the few extras 'just in case'

That is turning out terrific.  Nice job with the painting.  You are gettin close now. 

What kind of paint are you using, and primer if applicable? I agree, painting is one of my least favorite parts of model building!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Michael - Looks awesome, including the painting!!  I agree with JD.  I switched from plastic cars to wooden ships 20 years ago to get away from painting, which I found really frustrating.  Didn't help that I was doing it in the basement with the dryer lint and cat hair. 

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

That is turning out terrific.  Nice job with the painting.  You are gettin close now. 

Thanks Chuck, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

1 hour ago, jdbondy said:

What kind of paint are you using, and primer if applicable? I agree, painting is one of my least favorite parts of model building!

Windsor & Newton Galeria acrylic Crimson.  It is not so bad just after the potato chip incident I have been waiting a long time between coats for it to dry so it doesn't happen again

edit: no primer first.  Someone mentioned using acrylic matte medium as a sort of primer or thinner for the paint but I tried on a scrap piece and was not totally happy with it so just continued on as before with just paint.

55 minutes ago, davec said:

Michael - Looks awesome, including the painting!!  I agree with JD.  I switched from plastic cars to wooden ships 20 years ago to get away from painting, which I found really frustrating.  Didn't help that I was doing it in the basement with the dryer lint and cat hair. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, luckily no cat or dryer here just the regular old dust in the basement, after seeing so many good results maybe I will expand and learn to use an airbrush.... excuse for new tools :) 

Edited by MEDDO

@Chuck I had a quick question.  In the instructions for the pinnace when adding the decorative paper frieze you suggested that we coat the paper with an artist spray fixative or 'hairspray' as a cheeper alternative but I didn't see that mentioned here.  Still recommended?  Or does it not make too much of a difference?

I have already sprayed them so you are good to go.  BUT you may want to lightly spray again if want.  Use a matte spray fixative is best.  Hairspray is a last resort.

Thanks!  I like the less is more choice.  Especially as I don't have either here and we are still on the stay at home order so not really want to go out for something like that

Nice work on this detailed model, it looks great. I like your choice of ‘red.’  What did you use?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose