Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

Excellent work, Michael! The cherry is really sweet, and the crimson makes a nice combo. For the final crimson, you might want to fade it a bit. I've found that to make color look "real" in scale it's best to lighten up and tone down colors.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your build, and these Syren kits are looking quite inviting!

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

Bob its only about 19 inches long so should fit anywhere???  It is a great kit.

Starting to drill the holes and use the line.

IMG_1839.thumb.jpeg.8d3b2e7925b11e4ac5ed3567ac6a9f66.jpeg

Oops went through the plank

IMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.86720c3ed0092bfb09179ffee34a1a66.jpeg

@BobCardone Yup I am still going to work on the color.  I went with the alizarin crimson for my pinnace and it was kinda dark and wanted to go with something brighter this time.

Just a quick question.  Should you sand the tops of the nails down flush?  No matter how close I tried to cut them there is still a bit sticking up.  Also the dang CA has <leaked> and is visible around a few nails.  I hate using CA.....

Yes on the outside of the hull.   Just sand the planking.  Dont worry about the inside of the hull.  It will all be covered up and nobody will see it.  Only the bottom strake will be slightly visible.  And for those you can literally just put a dab of paint the same color as the cheery planking or just close enough to the color.   Nobody will ever see them.   And if you do see them.....it is fine also.  So you have many choices.

Nailing has been completed.  Sanded down the excess and everything seems to have come out nicely.  Going to paint/coverup the few breakthroughs on the inside then move onto next step.

6A43A107-C5DD-43EC-B685-CBE1DCCD8E24.jpeg.7db4219337f8a6676db0e1413487a164.jpeg

sorry for photo quality taken by phone

Next up is the decorative moulding for which I had to make a scraper for.  This is my second attempt to file a profile.  The moulding is 1/32 x 3/64 

IMG_5660.thumb.jpeg.257f10916a38509a4a20a92120ef754e.jpeg

still a little off center. might try another one

Just a ridiculous question.  Is this tab under the rail these rectangles from the same sheet the caprail is on?

IMG_1846.jpeg.9b2bdec138f093e82f78ad6c392cab8a.jpeg

Michael,

That is where i found mine! Great job, keep up the great job. Mine is finished and I loved working on the Barge.

I just started the Medway longboat as I went into "social distancing" Looks like I'll be here for the duration.  At least I'm loving it.

Pythagoras (Tom)

9 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Made a better scraper and the results seem much cleaner.  

Nice scraper, Michael. I tried to make a scraper like that on the same type of blade but I couldn't get it to scape very well for the moulding on the Medway Longboat. I ended up using the AL scraper like you showed in a previous post but I found it pretty difficult to use and hard on the fingers too. It took me a long time to get it done.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Thanks Bob.  I heated the scraper with the soldering torch and then let it cool down slowly.  It seemed to make it easier to file the profile in there.  I just used it afterward with good results.

Now I have to take my second most hated/feared step, painting.  I am always afraid of sneezing right as I put the brush near the model 😅.  First being using CA for anything.  

I did add the top molding but am not so sure of my brush skills so I think I will paint the stripe before I add the lower moulding.

IMG_1852.jpeg.44dac34d2a343dbf6da40fd7bf5eb13c.jpeg

Edited by MEDDO

35 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Now I have to take my second most hated/feared step, painting.

Like many, I'm least comfortable with getting the planking done well but I love painting. I've been very pleased with Vallejo Acrylic Model Paints used with good brushes and applied in many thin coats. I also use Tamiya Model Masking Tape. I have several different sizes and they work very well when carefully applied. They also make a masking tape that is especially for curved surfaces and it works really well. Good luck with your painting!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Many thin coats it is.  In Chucks post 123 and 125 of his news and forthcoming projects post he explains it very well.  Gonna try on some scrap first though.  Big round brush, many very thin coats and a lot of patience.

Hi Meddo

I just found your log and I've enjoyed catching up with your latest build. I'm particularly impressed that you've had a go at carving your own decorations.  Having recently enjoyed building one of Chuck's other designs, the English Pinnace, I'd planned to have a go at another small vessel, probably the 18th century longboat also by Chuck. However I'm now seriously tempted to get the QAB for my next project. She'll look stunning when she's finished (looks pretty good already!).

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

22 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Many thin coats it is.

The number of thin coats depends upon the color being used also. On my Medway Longboat I probably put down 20 thin coats of red since red is fairly transparent but I only put 5 or 6 coats of black since it is much less transparent.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Derek this kit is great.  Definitely want to see more QAB logs.

Bob, the red certainly looks great in your pictures.  Makes sense that black would require a few less coats.

42 minutes ago, DelF said:

Having recently enjoyed building one of Chuck's other designs, the English Pinnace, I'd planned to have a go at another small vessel, probably the 18th century longboat also by Chuck. However I'm now seriously tempted to get the QAB for my next project.

Derek, I'm sure all of Chuck's Syren kits are outstanding. I'm just about finished with his Medway Longboat and it's a great kit also. I've got my eye on the QAB too.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Starting to get there I think.  So far about 9ish coats of very thin paint.  Seems like the last 2-3 really start to bring out the color.

IMG_1858.jpeg.08f4961583b53c126b3a2b7361b7e7a2.jpeg

Am waiting to paint the top of the caprail until the inner planking is in so I can make sure the gap is nice and clean and if needed the filler <gasp> can be blended in

(picture looks weird at the bottom moulding irl looks nice and straight)

Edited by MEDDO

1 hour ago, MEDDO said:

Starting to get there I think.  So far about 9ish coats of very thin paint.  Seems like the last 2-3 really start to bring out the color.

Looking great, Michael! I put 15-20 coats of Red Vallejo Acrylic Model Paint on my Medway Longboat. Red is rather transparent and it takes a lot of thin coats to get a really nice depth of color like you're beginning to see.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, rlb said:

Michael,

Photos can be inaccurate, but that color seems to be developing very well, and I applaud your patience in having to be careful with so many coats!

Ron

Thanks.  It turns out the brush I am using is big enough/right shape that with the right pressure I can pull in one stroke the color from the bow all the way back almost to the step in one go.  Only little tiny bobbles that resulted in paint on the top of the moulding which are easily scraped off.  

22 minutes ago, BobG said:

Looking great, Michael! I put 15-20 coats of Red Vallejo Acrylic Model Paint on my Medway Longboat. Red is rather transparent and it takes a lot of thin coats to get a really nice depth of color like you're beginning to see.

I think I am 9 or 10ish or so now.  As Chuck has said he take a very light touch of sandpaper then puts another 10ish coats on.  Will probably be that many more for me.  Will see....

• 2 weeks later...

So I ran into a bit of a problem yesterday.  I was painting the armrests using my regular technique of many very thin coatings.  I was planning on putting 3 or 4 coats on a side then flip it over to so the other.  Welp that didn't work because when I walked away for a minute and when I came back the armrests were basically pretzels.  I guess wetting only one side wasn't such a good idea.  I then soaked the pieces and placed them between some wax paper and flat surfaces then weighed them down to flatten them.  Let dry overnight and they are back to flat. But it just cannot be easy I guess cause somehow some dark spots showed up on the pieces.  Not sure what it is as the wax paper was new/clean.  Anyway it looks like they can be sanded back to clean.  Will start over painting both side at same time