74' ST Army Tug by mtdoramike - Dumas

I purchased this kit from an on line retailer for about $95.00 with the intentions of building it for my grandson for either a birthday or Christmas present. But then life stepped in and then I wound up in the hospital for a triple bypass. So now that I'm back home and on the mend, I hope to make some head way on the Army Tug.DSC00575.JPG.2f61be527fb50c0b7061acd636e8b641.JPG 

DSC00574.JPG

DSC00580.JPG

DSC00579.JPG

DSC00592.JPG

DSC00593.JPG

I got a little progress made on the 74 yesterday after cardio rehab. I've got the kit setup on my wife's desk in her office. She doesn't want me working in my work shop yet and wants to keep an eye on me for a while yet. But this is starting to get old, my work shop is calling my name. At least I can spread everything out in my shop and not have to worry about having to move this or that so she can get to her desk at times.  

DSC00597.JPG

DSC00598.JPG

I installed the drive shaft tubing/stuffing box and got it glued and mounted. I noticed the rudder was a piece of white plastic, I couldn't hold with that, so I scrounged around my work shop and found a piece of brass plate that was about the same thickness and cut out a new BRASS rudder. I like it way better than the plastic one.  

DSC00603.JPG

DSC00604.JPG

DSC00605.JPG

DSC00609.JPG

DSC00607.JPG

1 hour ago, CDW said:

1:1 Army Tugs steel hull ships?

Yes

1 hour ago, CDW said:

That wife of yours is a keeper!

Double yes. The only times my wife "Helps" with cleaning or moving my hobby stuff, it always seems to end up in a box being stored out-of-sight somewhere! It sometimes takes me months or even years to find it all again and get it out, just to have it re-boxed and stored all over again in a few months or weeks. :(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, CDW said:

That brass rudder is far better than the kit material. Big upgrade there, and all you had to do was find some scrap you already had. I like it.

Were the 1:1 Army Tugs steel hull ships? 

That's a good question, I'm assuming so, but I can't say for certain.  Upon researching, I found this information, so I believe it was steel. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/smallships/armytugs.htm 

Edited by mtdoramike

39 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

Yep she is, CD, actually today is our 45 wedding anniversary.

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. MtDoraMike. That's quite a nice accomplishment and a true sign of love, devotion, and dedication. You have my admiration. Best wishes for an even long(er) life full of love and togetherness.

I'll be attending my brother's and his wife's 50th anniversary celebration tomorrow evening. Their son is holding the event as a surprise for them. Wow, it seems like such a short time ago when they married. Time just flies past us, does it not? 

Rudder Servo installed, then I got some of the cabin structure built. This section will be removable in order to gain access to the mechanicals in the hull. I have not secured the deck as yet, waiting on the motor to arrive, I will then install the motor, drive shaft and coupler. Even though you would have access to do this with the cabin removed, it just makes it a little easier to get to and install everything especially if you have big hands.     

DSC00621.JPG

DSC00622.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting close to finishing the old 74. It will be a birthday gift for my grandson, with radio, battery everything installed ready to hit the water. But this afternoon, while giving the old 74 a trial run in the tub, I found that she is quite top heavy due to the upper cabin. So in order for her to sit well in the water at the proper water line without tipping over, she will require a tad over a pound of lead or dead weight in order to balance her. I went with a 380 sized motor and a 7.4 2 cell 1500mah lipo battery. I started to put in a 540 motor, I have a few of them laying around an a 3s 3000mah lipo, but I didn't want that much power for my grandson in such a small boat. I really hate adding dead weight, but in this situation, I guess it can't be helped.  

DSC00635.JPG

DSC00636.JPG

I'm adding my 1 3/4 cents about this kit in a mini review of the Dumas 74' Army tug.

Mini Review: When I received the Dumas 74' Army Tug it was with the intent on building it for my 6 year old grandson's birthday. Nothing has changed there. I inspected the kit for fit and finish as well as inventory of all the parts. I love getting that new kit in the mail and I get giddy as a school girl on prom night when I see the mailman with a package addressed to me. I knew going in that this particular kit had a plastic preformed hull, which I can't stand, but as far as construction goes, the preformed hull does make for quicker assembly since you don't have to plank framing and then glass it with resin and fiberglass cloth. Now has this changed my feeling about preformed plastic hulls you ask? Nope, not in the least. Had the hull been plank on frame, the needed weight to balance out the finished model would have been quite a bit less if any at all. But due to the weight or lack of weight to the finished hull and the fact that the top cabin area caused the finished model to be quite top heavy and very tipsy.

I found no issues or problems building this kit, the instructions and plans were more than sufficient for anyone to build this kit. I do have a slight confession to make, I deviated from the instructions a bit where it indicates using brass rod for the guard rail stansions. I chose to use 1/8 dowel rod for the stansions rather than soldering the railings together and the reasoning for this is, I SUCK AT SOLDERING yes, everyone has their limitations and sucking at soldering is mine. Yes, I have used $20.00 soldering irons up to $100.00 soldering stations and I still suck at it. Had this build been for a client on a commission, I would have subbed out the soldering part, but since it's for my grandson, I figure he won't mind.

My final impressions of this kit: If you are looking for a fun project that won't break the bank ( cost of this kit is around $100.00 or less) that can take you a hundred or so hours to build and will give you a nice representation of a 74' Army tug when finished. But if you are expecting a museum quality model, then this kit won't be for you, as I have stated before, this is a kit museum quality models don't come from kits, there are a dime a dozen of them and also as the kit instructions state right off "This kit is meant to be a toy" so don't sweat it, build it and have fun.         

Edited by mtdoramike

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the walk through mtdoramike....       I just purchased this kit and have been looking for reviews....    Yours is the best I've seen. Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

Hope you and your wife are doing well with your recovery.....