HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

• 2 weeks later...

Hi B.E.

Thank you. Yes, I rather like those yaws as well. The ‘iron bands’ which hold the whole thing together are an important addition. Unfortunately they are missing in many kits.

Cheers

Peter

The next step was the making of the spanker.

There was not much reduction in size possible. I just made a sail similar to a mizzen with the back edge vertical. I rather like the look of the finished sail and think it would be possible to make full sails with all the details that way for a future project.

Two clamps were added to the boom. One is below the jaws to belay the spanker sheet; the other was bolted sideways onto the boom, above the taffrail, to belay the flag line.

The flag line will be set up between two small blocks attached to ringbolts on the ends of boom and gaff. I think the flag line must be belayed on the boom otherwise (e.g. if belayed on the taffrail) you would have to reset it on every tack.

Then I fixed the spanker to the gaff, set up the gaff and fixed the spanker to the mast. Then the spanker was furled. It still looks a bit untidy but will do as it shall not represent a harbour stow but a ship ready to make sails on short notice – at least that’s my excuse.

Now the boom was mounted and I was glad to have that saddle.

Vang pendants and boom sheets will be rigged when all the other work on the rigging to the mizzen mast has been finished. (Of course the very last lines will be most sheets and braces.)

Then the crossjack was fixed with sling, parrel and lifts and now I’m about to hoist the mizzen topsail yard with its furled sail.

post-504-0-96489600-1392225733_thumb.jpg

Finished sail. On the boom are the two additional cleats visible.

post-504-0-70799700-1392225734_thumb.jpg 

Gaff with attached sail mounted.   

post-504-0-03010100-1392225737_thumb.jpg

Sail bent to the mast and furled.  

post-504-0-72716400-1392225738_thumb.jpg

Boom attached and spanker sheet set up.

post-504-0-35634400-1392225740_thumb.jpg

Crossjack in place

post-504-0-23899800-1392225741_thumb.jpg

Detail of crossjack and gaff

post-504-0-24615200-1392225742_thumb.jpg

Work is in progress on the topsail yard.

Edited by flyer

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Scott and thanks everybody for those 'like's.

It seems my sailmaking is useable. It's also quite simple. Try it!

Cheers

Peter

After mounting the yard, I started work on the flag.

I tried two different hand painted versions and used the same light cotton as for the sails.

First I tried to use masking tape but the textile colour (I know that expression is British but although it’s hard to understand when spoken, I’m used to read it, as aviation handbooks where obviously invented by the British (It seems, Americans concentrated on the practical aspect of flying, while the Brits did look after the bureaucracy – today it is completely different, of course. :unsure: )) had a tendency to run under the tape.

Then I marked the edges of the different colours with a crayon and painted careful between the lines. This gave the better result overall although the crayon colour later had a tendency to run when I wetted the finished flag to bring it in form.

Both sides were painted and the edges of the flag where fixed with glue, the flag then glued to its line and all attached with two small blocks between gaff and boom. The end of the flag line was belayed on that small cleat on the boom.

The flag looks OK but there is room for improvement and a flag2.0 is being considered.

post-504-0-48396200-1393943401_thumb.jpg

Outlines marked with crayons

post-504-0-27860800-1393943406_thumb.jpg

First side painted

post-504-0-74606700-1393943417_thumb.jpg

The upper flag was painted with the use of masking tape. Much more work and a less satisfying result.

post-504-0-80795200-1393943419_thumb.jpg

Rather stiff...

post-504-0-20345500-1393943432_thumb.jpg

... and soaked with water and brought into a more natural form.

Now I started to fix all the rigging lines along the centerline. (See remark above. :unsure: )

Usually I use the actual end of the line to make the rope coils. Several times I was glad to have some extra length when I had to retie a rigging line for one reason or another.

Braces and sheets are left off for the time. First I will finish the work along the centerline on all the masts.

post-504-0-24971200-1393943944_thumb.jpg

Rope coils are made in place with the help of a nail file and fixed with diluted white glue

post-504-0-24921800-1393943945_thumb.jpg

Fathers little helpers...

post-504-0-68019700-1393943947_thumb.jpg

The top sail looks a bit bulky – perhaps sloppy work from the top men when furling the sail or perhaps I should reduce the size even more

Hi Peter,

I like what you are doing here mate, I do think the Mizzen topsail is a wee bit on the large size but that is no more than you have already suggested yourself, it could be reduced a little.

The work on your flag is great and you should be well pleased with it, the way it hangs looks really natural.

Be Good my Friend

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Peter,

I see great Progress on your fine model, wish I were so far with mine,

beautiful work for all the rigging and sails

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Mobbsie

Thank you. Yes, but what I don’t like is the fact that the flag looks a bit dirty because the running crayon has dirtied the white parts. Now, Frank (Riverboat) wouldn’t mind to fly a somewhat grubby flag (in fact, he probably would reject a clean one) but I do have some scruples.

Reducing the size of the finished sail will be quite some work. The whole running rigging would have to be reset as well. I will now first make the main sail –perhaps reduce it some more in size- and see how it looks.

Take care

Peter

Hallo Nils

Thank you.

Oh, I would like to applaud progress on your fine Pegasus but take your time. Sometimes it is better to recharge your batteries away from the fiddly work on those things.

I think the Amati plans do not provide enough help when you start the running rigging. Do you have suitable books on the subject?

Take care

Peter

Thank you Peter,

.... on the running rigging actualy, no...., but a good Research on that will be one of the next "to does" steps as well

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Peter -- I can't help but admire your work on the sails and the flag, but most of all on the rigging.  It all looks neat and smooth.  Your photos also show up plenty of detail to help newbies like me understand the placement and dynamics of running rigging.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hallo Nils

Just found that the Amati rigging plans are better that thought. While checking the way buntlines are set up on the main sail, I found that the necessary blocks are provided on the plans everywhere, where buntlines are to be set up. That point goes to Amati! My help is the often mentioned book by James Lees.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Martin

Thank you!

It may look smooth (seen from a distance) but I can assure you setting it up didn’t always go that smooth. Sometimes the cat (of only one tail) seemed quite shocked by some expressions. :blush:

Take care

Peter

Hi B.E.

Thanks a lot.

It was always my intention to make my own flag. Trying to compare it with the one provided with the kit, I didn’t find the later anymore. But I guess it would have been too stiff anyway.

As always, I especially value such positive comments coming from somebody with your attention to details. :)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Max

No, I’m sorry. This is a kit and the parts come laser cut. But you could order the Victory plans e.g. via

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/victory-models-plans.html

They cost about 30 Euros.

Regards

Peter

Hallo Nils

Just found that the Amati rigging plans are better that thought. While checking the way buntlines are set up on the main sail, I found that the necessary blocks are provided on the plans everywhere, where buntlines are to be set up. That point goes to Amati! My help is the often mentioned book by James Lees.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you Peter,

I trust I shall have another Close look at the Amati plans

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

With the plans only for the running rigging I would be lost at sea quite some time. I have to search for more information about the running and belaying of the various lines in Lees’ book and sometimes in the excellent building manual of CC’s Granado.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Nils

With the plans only for the running rigging I would be lost at sea quite some time. I have to search for more information about the running and belaying of the various lines in Lees’ book and sometimes in the excellent building manual of CC’s Granado.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

for my behalf I`m not so far as you are right now, but if you would`nt mind, I shall be happy if I can contact you on the running rigging in due time. Meanwhile I shall study your Progress with great interest

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 4 weeks later...

Braces, sheets and tacks on lower yards will be installed last in order not to block access to the deck.

Next was the mighty main yard. First, the main sail was made similar to the mizzen top sail. Its size was reduced by about 30%. I need a little material to form a bulk in the middle of the furled sail and for such a large square sail this seemed about the necessary size. (The furled sail looks quite OK.)

The sail was bent to the yard and blocks for sheets and clues as well as clues and buntlines were attached. There will be 2 buntlines rigged according Lees. This means that only one buntline could be attached to the sail as it will lead through several blocks back to the sail as its own second buntline and can only be fixed with the yard mounted.

The buntline blocks on the yard were positioned wrongly (I put them up according the plans) and had to be shifted.

Then the sail was furled and now the yard brought to the mast. First a sling was put in place to hold the yard. Then it was held to the mast with the truss pendants (no parrel rope on this yard). The pendants lead towards the deck and are seized with simple falls via blocks to the riding bitts.

Now the jeers were installed and belayed to the main bitts. The clue lines were belayed on the riding bits. Finally the lifts were put up and the ends belayed – contrary to the plan, but according Lees- on the timber head near the first main mast shroud.

The belaying points according to the kits plans differ for several lines from those in Lees ‘Masting and Rigging...’ and I mainly followed Lees.

post-504-0-55792200-1396191840_thumb.jpg

Main sail

post-504-0-86322000-1396191869_thumb.jpg

Buntline attached in front of the sail. The legs through the outer buntline blocks can only be put in place with the yard on the mast.

post-504-0-81745500-1396191911_thumb.jpg

Clew lines in place

post-504-0-63736400-1396191912_thumb.jpg

Yard with sail furled provisionally put in place – looks OK

post-504-0-69377400-1396191929_thumb.jpg

Thimble for the sling (in fact a spliced eye) and truss pendants put on the yard

post-504-0-52911100-1396191930_thumb.jpg

Sling with its lanyard and the jeers

post-504-0-19882800-1396191953_thumb.jpg

Belaying of jeers, falls of the truss pendants and clues (left to right)

post-504-0-07746100-1396191954_thumb.jpg

The lifts are belayed at that timber head

post-504-0-66933500-1396191964_thumb.jpg

Lifts in place

Between knotting and splicing I made the first gun port lid and installed it. The hinge got an additional small piece of cartridge paper to represent the fixed part on the hull.

post-504-0-78733700-1396192417_thumb.jpg

The first gun port lid is attached

Nice work, Peter.  The furled sail is a great touch, and it's really interested to see the rigging go up with sails rather than by itself.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Elegant build Peter, looking very nice.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hallo Niels

Of course I am glad if I will be able to help you. Ask away!

Regards

Peter

Hi Martin

Now, that’s an interesting thing. Rigging going up by itself? I want to learn that trick! ;):D

Thanks and take care

Peter

Thank you, Michael. But I’m afraid that any compliments for elegance should rather go to the Surveyor of the Navy, John Williams, who designed the very properly named swan class.

(I’m glad; he didn’t come up with something like a swimming Ford Anglia.) :wacko:

Cheers

Peter

Well, I learned (thanks, Gregor), that a few uploaded pictures in previous posts went missing – perhaps a problem with MSW’s server. With the editing function it was possible to reload them. Did anybody have similar problems or is it just me? :unsure:

Cheers

Peter