Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

Thank you so much Marc for your very find comments :) I would say though I still have plenty to learn,the journey is a long one and I doubt the day will come when I don't learn something new every day

Van de Velde the elder did an engraving of the ship.Payne also produced an engraving of the ship.Both contradict each other :huh: I chose to follow Van de Velde's work for many reason's but not least because his work by so many is deemed to be extremely accurate.He has also produced some great work on another big project of mine,Lenox.I am doing the groundwork for this at the moment,but hope to be'laying the keel' after Caroline is complete early in the new year.

This is a picture of the engraving,I have a large copy courtesy of the book by Hiendrik Busmann

post-1641-0-10145000-1387249228_thumb.jpg

This did actually start as a kit which was 1/84.Over the last year virtually all what I did use from the kit (the hull skeleton) has gone,but I am left with the scale.I would of chosen something a little larger had I started with a clean sheet of paper.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 1 month later...

Recently I finished reading a Dutch book on the Angelo-Dutch wars and other major battles and the Dutch

called the "Sovereign of the Seas" - "the Golden Devil". or in Dutch that would be. De Gouden Duivel.

Marc 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marc

It is quite funny that I was just ready about the battle of Beachy Head 1690 where the English and Dutch formed a combined fleet to defeat the French!It is funny how one's allies seem to change on a regular basis.Sovereign did live long enough to see this alliance,so the 'golden devil' that once was foe,was now friend.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nigel

Just checking in to see what great details you have added to your ship the Sovereign of the seas, great job on the tree nailing it sure looks nice, kind of wondering just what you will come up with next, keep up the great work and the pictures coming,          ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Present Build - Oliver Cromwell by canoe21 - 1:48 scale, Harold M. Hahn Plans

Completed Build --Golden-Hind-by-canoe21-Lawrence-scale-1:60, Harold A. Underhill Plans

Completed Build - HMS Bounty, 1: 60, Amati Plans

Completed Build  -  African Queen, Bill. B588, Scale 1:12  

Completed Build  Annie M Parker, Scale 1:50, Smithsonian Plans  

Completed Build - HMS Victory by canoe21 (Lawrence) - AL - Scale 1:84   

Completed Build - Cutty Sark by Canoe21 Lawrence - Billings Kit, Scale 1:75 

Completed Build  Bluenose 11 by Canoe21 Lawrence, AL Kit, Scale 1:75

Thank you Lawrence :) I apologize not noticing your post earlier.Alas due to other build commitments,I do not have the time to devote to this model.I am itching to get back on with her,but she will have to wait a little longer.I am also suffering from withdrawal symptoms from woodcarving :D  :D .I have had to do the odd bit on Caroline to make some moulds,and it has made me realise how much I enjoy it.Good job really as there is probably in excess of 1000 carvings to produce on Sovereign :huh:  :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

great work on this model, very nice Details, the treenailed hull planking and the carved items look superb

Some of the pics in the early log-pages probably went lost, trust you would have replaced them if you have had back ups, but that is no handicap for this fine build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you very much indeed B.E. and Nils for your very kind words.Unfortunately I had a clear out of pictures on my laptop as things were getting a little congested.Unfortunately I am certain I no longer have copies of the missing images.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much indeed B.E. and Nils for your very kind words.Unfortunately I had a clear out of pictures on my laptop as things were getting a little congested.Unfortunately I am certain I no longer have copies of the missing images.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I have started backing all my images up in the 'cloud' just in case I have an IT catastrophie.  good idea to have them in more than one place, I use photobucket but there are plenty of similer sites.

Still love this build.

Jase

Current Builds

San Francisco II 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you very much indeed Tom for you kind words :) I do plan on returning to this model,possibly over the Christmas period.Everything is so involved with this build,I just can't do a bit now and then and life is hectic at the moment.A two week holiday from work with a little festivity,but a lot of modelbuilding should remedy that ;)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nigel, I spent my morning coffee time going through your build log from the beginning and am just in awe of your skill,  Your Sovereign is just gorgeous!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Thank you very much indeed John for your kind words :) I am annoyed with myself for not keeping a backup of my pictures,however I don't think it will matter so much when I get the opportunity to move forward with this build.My original intention was to drop back onto this over Christmas,unfortunately jobs in the house and the fact I would like to finish Mordaunt's gundeck first may postpone things further.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Just catching up on your great build, she sure is a very special build with so very much detail that I love so very much,                                                              ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence                          

Present Build - Oliver Cromwell by canoe21 - 1:48 scale, Harold M. Hahn Plans

Completed Build --Golden-Hind-by-canoe21-Lawrence-scale-1:60, Harold A. Underhill Plans

Completed Build - HMS Bounty, 1: 60, Amati Plans

Completed Build  -  African Queen, Bill. B588, Scale 1:12  

Completed Build  Annie M Parker, Scale 1:50, Smithsonian Plans  

Completed Build - HMS Victory by canoe21 (Lawrence) - AL - Scale 1:84   

Completed Build - Cutty Sark by Canoe21 Lawrence - Billings Kit, Scale 1:75 

Completed Build  Bluenose 11 by Canoe21 Lawrence, AL Kit, Scale 1:75

Thank you very much indeed Lawrence :) It is far too long since any sawdust has been made on this build and the current renewed interest is only increasing my desire to resume work on her shortly.I do,however want to get to a stage where I can put Mordaunt to one side for a little while,which means getting some more structure into the upper hull to prevent any warping.I have however been amassing lots of pear offcuts for the carvings on Sovereign ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Nigel, your work looks fantastic. The carvings are superb!! I am looking forward to seeing more... :)

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 3 months later...

As I continue to work on just getting her hull and skin built, I am looking forward to seeing your continued development Nigel. Although I could never dream of matching the excellence of your work, it does serve as an inspiration to me in my efforts. Without your build, along with a few others, as a visual guide, I am hopelessly lost.

Thanks again

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thank you very much Dave.As you maybe aware,currently half my workshop is packed away and the shop is packed with household stuff as I am moving house.I would have actually been moving this week if our buyer hadn't pulled out,so in limbo at the minute.I have even taken on a small 'kitchen table' build that is completely different from my current projects(build log started today in the kit section).Spending my freetime watching TV is driving me to distraction :(  :( .

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am so thankful, since my retirement, I shall never have to move again in my lifetime. Unfortunate to have your buyer let you down.... That's a beal bummer for sure.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com