Hello from England!

Beck

Hi all,

Came across this forum when I saw a review for a model kit I was looking at. Seems like a great place to share progress and get help so had to sign up.

I've been fascinated with the old age of sail war ships since I was a kid after playing an educational game called Stowaway! (I recorded a playthrough here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rtjujfhfcc) and obviously with movies like Master and Commander and video games like Sid Meier's Pirates! Since then I've become a video game developer and gained skills in 3D software such as 3DS Max and Maya.

I recently finished the Aubrey-Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brian and fell in love with HMS Surprise like I bet a lot of people did who read those books. I decided to try and create a 3D model of her and potentially put her into a game engine so people can sail her and walk around her. That's all obviously a long way off but it'd be a nice goal to achieve. My current progress can be seen here:

I hope it's ok to post links here. If not please feel free to remove them.

I'll create a progress thread down in the CAD section and no doubt be poking you guys for help soon enough.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks all!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hello and welcome, I'll keep an eye on your CAD progress. I am a high school CAD drafting and wood shop teacher. I have wanted to try my hand at making a 3D model ship in either Inventor or Solidworks. I am a second year teacher and self taught myself the software, my experience does not lie in the field so I'm learning as I go.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Thanks for the welcomes!

Matt, that's awesome, thank you. I'm learning things as I go too. I have almost 10 years experience with 3DS Max but I'm not an artist (I create levels and the artists will generally make them look nice) but I know my way around the software. Be nice to get feedback from people though so I'm looking forward to creating a progress thread.

Would it be best to post my progress thread in the CAD section or the Scratch build section? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Beck said:

Would it be best to post my progress thread in the CAD section or the Scratch build section? 

Are you actually building the physical model from your CAD work? Or are you just working on the 3D model in the CAD software?

If there is an actual physical ship then probably scratch, but if it is just CAD work for now, probably the CAD section. I'd let a moderator chime in though.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Beck, what part of England are you from? I spent a few years in a little village called Hargrave in Northhamptonshire back in the early 70’s - my Dad was stationed at RAF Alconbury. I thoroughly enjoyed the UK. I envy your CAD skills.... which ship kit were you contemplating on building?

Thank you.

I live in Birmingham, England. Lived in the UK all my life :)

I wasn't so much contemplating building one as I have zero experience building something like this. I was more admiring the HMS Vanguard model by Amati (https://store.amatimodel.com/en/box-mounting-victory-by-amati/amati-models-hms-vanguard.html) It's beautiful and I wondered how the kit looked and saw a review/unboxing here. Looks great, maybe when I'm old and have more free time I can work myself up to a model of that scale :)

26 minutes ago, Beck said:

Thank you.

I live in Birmingham, England. Lived in the UK all my life :)

I wasn't so much contemplating building one as I have zero experience building something like this. I was more admiring the HMS Vanguard model by Amati (https://store.amatimodel.com/en/box-mounting-victory-by-amati/amati-models-hms-vanguard.html) It's beautiful and I wondered how the kit looked and saw a review/unboxing here. Looks great, maybe when I'm old and have more free time I can work myself up to a model of that scale :)

Glad my review of the Vanguard brought you here!

Love to se more of your CAD.