Triton Cross Section by Snowmans

I am part way through the Cross Section build, and will put up all the pictures I had. The text will have to be reduced to a few notes. This is my first attempt at scratch building, and all the timber used is cut down from what I have in the shed. Mostly recycled native timber beams, or logs that have been drying for several years. I have been working on this now for about 18 months.

Sanded to thickness.

201201071505261.jpg

Home built thickness sander.

20111227151524.jpg

Ready to start cutting.

20120107153738.jpg

20120107160051.jpg

Yeah, I have some the pictures I have taken but none the text. I know when I started the build I spent several hours going through all the past build logs and getting information.This was a great help. I figure others will do the same.

Frames cut out and seperated into each frame. I used two colors to tell the front and rear parts for each frame.

20120120213433.jpg

Sanding the outside radius. This sander I built with a motor from work that was going to be thrown away.

20120211161311.jpg

Sanding the inside radius. I have since upgraded the drill press so would be a lot easier no do now. The old one had a wobble in the chuck.

20120211162321.jpg

Snowmans

I was watching your build before the crash. How I will be able to continue watching. Thanks for re-posting the build. Looks good.

Ron

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Your framing looks very good. Nice work. I look forward to seeing more progress.

Russ

It's looking really good. Glad to have you and your post back here. B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

This log is making me look like I can build at speed. Normally I only get a couple of hours a week in the shed after the kids are in bed.

Slight gap. this is the one I remade.

img4695y.jpg

img4693s.jpg

Glueing the keel.

20120407154804.jpg

20120408154133.jpg

Slot cut with the corner of a razor blade. I saw this on someone elses build log and thought I should try it. 

dsc00051vca.jpg

20120408164701.jpg

I like the razor blade cut. I will have to try that also. Is the blade held in place with hot clue?

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Just looking at the photos, the fit seems to be pretty close. Nice work.

Russ

Nice looking framing. It looks ship shape. The wood has a really nice tone to it. Good call there.

Russ

Nice work. I like your mini saw. Is that a piece of angle iron you're using for the fence?

Ron

Very nice work there. you're moving right along!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

This is a quality build.Enjoy watching your build   Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Nice work.  Very clean and I like the different shade of the planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nearly up to date with the older photos. Made a zero clearance insert for the bandsaw and cut the timber for the lower deck and gun deck. All put through thethickness sander and finished to the correct size. Now I am able to do the next few stages in the shed during the evenings. The wood is a piece of rimu that had been used a paking for a larger order of timber. I saved a few off these while I worked at a building supplies company.

20130105163518.jpg

Ripped down with the bench saw.

20121216154714.jpg

Resawn with the bandsaw. Finished with the sander after this pic was taken.

20130106154821.jpg