Marie by G.L. - FINISHED - scale 1/10 - POF - SMALL - St Malo mackerel cutter

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 4/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, noel_colledge said:

What an absolutely fantastic project and finish, very original and educational throughout.

Thank you for sharing, very inspirational 

You should be very proud

On 4/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, bruce d said:

Fantastic. 

On 4/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, Backer said:

Yes, fantastic 👍👍

On 4/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, MEDDO said:

Absolutely wonderful build! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I’ve looked forward to your updates throughout the entire build.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, ccoyle said:

That's a beautiful model and exceptional display. Congratulations!

On 4/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, Mark Pearse said:

HI Geert

An enjoyable journey start to finish, and a lovely result. I like the timber used in the floor of the case, very nice tones.

all the best, Mark

Thank you very much Noel, Bruce, Patrick, Michael Chris and Mark.

I enjoyed very much this built. I am glad that you liked the thread, It was a pleasure to receive so much positive comments of you all.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, usedtosail said:

Great build. Your students are very lucky to have you.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, yvesvidal said:

What a great way to teach your students. Now, they have no excuse for not knowing the vocabulary and functions of the various parts of a boat. 

You truly are a dedicated and motivating teacher and your display will get a lot of usage, I am sure.

Superb work and excellent presentation.

Yves

Thank you Tom and Yves.

I don't have real students. I am retired from the Navy since five years. But during the last eight years of my career I worked for the education policy of the Navy. 

This project was a nostalgic one, a looking back to the era when ship models were still used in maritime education.

You were my students and I couldn't whish me a more enthusiastic and attentively class.

14 hours ago, G.L. said:

Thank you Tom and Yves.

I don't have real students. I am retired from the Navy since five years. But during the last eight years of my career I worked for the education policy of the Navy. 

This project was a nostalgic one, a looking back to the era when ship models were still used in maritime education.

You were my students and I couldn't whish me a more enthusiastic and attentively class.

From here, I was one of your students.  I was able to follow a wonderful build and learn something about a type of ship I would never have a chance to do.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

From here, I was one of your students.  I was able to follow a wonderful build and learn something about a type of ship I would never have a chance to do.

3 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching your build Geert thanks for sharing 👍:)

Regards

Richard

On 5/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, jansmiss said:

Prachtig  werk Geert 

Jan

Thanks a lot, Mark, Richard and Jan

On 4/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, G.L. said:

The base for my drawers is a deal frame.

393.thumb.JPG.4d1df30ac36777e7601f9b7122275d02.JPG

On that base I build two drawers. Here you see them in closed condition.

394.thumb.JPG.fd78bc0130877db9c3bc54181dc240c0.JPG

And here they are open. A stop plank at the inside prevents it from being pulled out completely. The right side of the frame is still open. There is space for a third drawer, but that is for the next chapter.

395.thumb.JPG.b534af8da098fd0bac2490c2874c5aa8.JPG

Here is the starboard drawer with a copy of the glossary list in it. The final lists will be printed on more retro looking paper and they will be covered by glass.

396.thumb.JPG.91d5c42da5ed27280f1ae3b369255e8c.JPG

Now the pine frame has to be hidden by a round frame. I make that frame by gluing two quarter rounds together to a half round.

397.thumb.JPG.7b790d47c9dcfe0c0362e976c0bdd9e4.JPG

For the drawers, I mill a groove in the upper quarter round before gluing it.

398.thumb.JPG.b997258d0de93904026175ff7790f4ab.JPG

The lower quarter is sawn/drilled in half with a drill clock to have a half round cut.

399.thumb.JPG.f707d1da1bc44c6fa4e734b0d57424b4.JPG

Then it is glued together to a half round frame.

400.thumb.JPG.aeecd6f0d70b31a12aaed27d165e814d.JPG

And that is how it looks on the drawer:

401.thumb.JPG.a0da4adab7cb3abb4c6fa9dbb3b0fa53.JPG

Gluing the round frames around the display board.

402.thumb.JPG.713e495dc1159a6df885786b88733f7f.JPG

That is how it looks with the drawer closed ...

403.thumb.JPG.20d9d57b95d57c1b5b3801224eb355bd.JPG

... and open ...

404.thumb.JPG.cb0ef7985bff6e67974ecb58fedea33c.JPG

... and with the dust case.

405.thumb.JPG.ed7fc9151a601a75720c547660fb7519.JPG

Here with the model on it.

406.thumb.JPG.714fb712a20dcec39965a37ee97b3090.JPG

The small brown buttons on the model are the numbers that indicate the different parts which are named in the glossary. In the front, in the middle, you see a red button. At the other side of the board is an equal green button. They indicate the port- and starboard side of the boat. I consider those two also as two important parts of the boat which should to be known by every aspirant sailor or boat builder.

407.thumb.JPG.3e191a823ce2730b4961700225937902.JPG

Next week I will deal with the third and final chapter of this build: The encyclopedia.

Thank you for reading

Thank you to follow

Thank you for the likes

and thank you for your constructive comments,

Till next week and keep it healthy!

Fantastic and inspirational stuff Geert, congratulation ! 

On 4/15/2020 at 10:01 AM, Mark Pearse said:

We used to make the glue by dissolving acrylic pieces in ethylene dichloride (I think that's it) until it was thick but could still go through a syringe (without a needle in it). You run the syringe along the joint & it soaks it up. If you get the thickness correct the glue will bridge gaps.

I use chloroform brushed on. (so far remained conscious ) I never tried thickening it, but I found with the syringe, it was difficult to control the pressure and therefore avoiding squirting (both glass  and single use).capillary action didn't work for me. I use 3mm plexi even with cases of over 1 metre. Glass looks better but is very heavy. I also had a nasty accident once (not related to modeling) so I cringe whenever I handle it.

PS very  original, great execution and I might copy your base design

Edited by stuglo
forgot

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

13 hours ago, stuglo said:

I use chloroform brushed on. (so far remained conscious ) I never tried thickening it, but I found with the syringe, it was difficult to control the pressure and therefore avoiding squirting (both glass  and single use).capillary action didn't work for me. I use 3mm plexi even with cases of over 1 metre. Glass looks better but is very heavy. I also had a nasty accident once (not related to modeling) so I cringe whenever I handle it.

PS very  original, great execution and I might copy your base design

Thanks, Stuglo.

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Geert I find your frame to be absolute delight, would you mind if I borrow your design for a display under my cutty sark? :)  I would be honoured to. 

Vlad 

No problem, Vladimir, go ahead!

By the way, I follow your Cutty Sark project with much interest. Impressive work that you do there.

Edited by G.L.

a beautiful build Geert !

is she going to be a sailable model ? (because of built in keelweight)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

5 hours ago, G.L. said:

No problem, Vladimir, go ahead!

By the way, I follow your Cutty Sark project with much interest. Impressive work that you do there.

Heeey Thank you ! you must know interest all of you guys helps me to commit ro her and keep going and not to  give up. she is a love / pain relation to me :) . gonna start on display. that would be welcome distraction from  all suffer with bow finally amusing parts . Fair wind! 

22 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

a beautiful build Geert !

is she going to be a sailable model ? (because of built in keelweight)

Nils

Hello Nis,

Thanks for the complement.

No, she won't be sailable. She would sink like a stone with all those apertures in her hull. The model is completed as it is. It is intended as an anatomical model.

• 2 weeks later...

• The title was changed to Marie by G.L. - FINISHED - scale 1/10 - POF - SMALL - St Malo mackerel cutter