When have you actually passed the halfwaypoint in building a kit?

Vane

Maybe a stupid question, but it can many times be frustration building a woodenship since you kind of work endlessly and many builds takes years to finish. So when do you think you have actually done half of a kit and should start seeing the light on the other side of the tunnel?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Hello,

It may (perhaps) help to start every different part as a separate project, e.g. the mizzen mast or one gun carriage,...

Having said that, once the hull completed, starting the rigging part is IMHO the turning point and one I'm a bit reluctant to do....

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

It can be a surprise.

I thought I was almost done with my CW Morgan, then it turned out making 5 whaleboats for hanging on the davits at the end took as much time as all the running rigging.

It's journey with out road signs or maps.   Maybe when starting the rigging?  Done painting?  Everyone's 'mid-point' will different.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For me, it’s when I finish the heavy work on the hull.  

I love detailing and fitting out the model.  I enjoy putting masts on the ship and rigging (including making the sails).

I’m terrible at the heavy framing and planking.  I’m still learning woodworking.

So, I personally consider the halfway point to be when I get the hull roughed out and ready to be detailed.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

Once the masts are stepped I start to feel that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and start to plan the next build.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• 1 month later...

yes, once you start on the mast and rigging your over the hump..... :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Nope: build the hull took me three years. Rigging still hasn't finished in almost 7 years.

I guess the halfway point measured in parts is something different han halfway measured in time (not to speak in terms of  motivation :) )

But why bother over the half-way point? Two things count (at least to me): the fisished product and the fun while working on it. No fun: no work and some longer time till the finished product.

So what? put it aside when the fun is over, take it up again when you feel apt for building. As long as it is not your primary source of living, counting hours and parts isn't that important, or is it?

Jan

Edited by amateur

6 hours ago, Ian B said:

yes, once you start on the mast and rigging your over the hump..... :)

Rigging is the hump for me! I doing some rigging for the first time ever on my Medway Longboat build and it is more complicated and tedious than anything I've done before in ship modeling so the halfway point keeps getting pushed back and the finish line keeps getting farther away...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild