I have read and reread an excellent book for model ship builders. Thought I'd pass this on for those who have never read it.

The book is entitled "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" and is written by Donald Dressel. This book covers all

types of ship model building from Plank-on-Frame, Plank-on-Bulkhead and Scratch builds.

Allen

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

10 hours ago, acaron41120 said:

The book is entitled "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" and is written by Donald Dressel.

Don is a member of the Ship Modelers Association in Southern California, where I was a member some years back. He helped me get through my first hull planking job.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Excellent book, my point of reference for all my planking.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Chris. That must have been cool being tutored by him. You're a lucky guy.

Thunder, that's the book I referred to a lot when building my other ship kits. I continue reading it especially now with building a blunt-nosed hull. I'm still having trouble understanding how to determine the number of planks needed on the hull and how to decide how many battens to use. I have never used that approach. I always started planking from the deck down and then from the deck up. But I'll figure it out and ask questions here.

Allen

17 minutes ago, acaron41120 said:

Chris. That must have been cool being tutored by him. You're a lucky guy.

Don made an amazing model of the Sovereign of the Seas that started life as the 1/78 scale Sergal kit, from which he used only the hull formers, the rest being scratch-built based on a lot of research. It took him 10 years to complete. All of the hull ornamentation is gold-leafed. I wish we had some pictures of it here. In fact, I often wish that more of the SMA guys would join up here and share their work -- there were some great modelers in that group.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Because you were an apprentice builder under his wing, did that move you to start this group? No offense meant to whoever started MSW?

Allen

Chris. Is there a way to include his book here on this site? Or maybe the NRG? That would also be a great additional reference.

Allen

Don's book is available from Amazon and many other places for anywhere from $4.99 to $26.00 in hard and soft cover and both new and used.  - this book is 138 pages - not likely to be available other than as a hard copy from a book vendor.

There are numerous planking tutorials here on MSW under Modeling Techniques at the upper end of the home page.

Kutr

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, acaron41120 said:

Because you were an apprentice builder under his wing, did that move you to start this group? No offense meant to whoever started MSW?

"Apprentice" is not perhaps the right term -- gave me some good tips though and got me past the fear of spiling. 

MSW was originally created by James Hatch, but its roots go back to a now-defunct forum called Dry Dock Models (DDM). DDM's focus was on wooden sailing ships, but Jim wanted to create a forum that was open to ship modelers of every variety, though some of us are still struggling to boost the profiles of plastic, card stock, steel navy subjects, etc. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I use the book all the time. Many detailed descriptions of how - to do this and that and the methods apply to any type of ship, be it a ketch, bark, fluit or ship of the line. Excellent book for your library. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

For those who own this  book, is there anything included that is not covered in the tutorials here at MSW?  

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I think Don Dressel's book is a great addition to any ship modeling library too, but I always thought it was strangely titled. Given that there is so much more beside planking, I always thought it should be called something more like Planked Hull Construction Techniques, though it would be a more awkward title.

The book is still in publication from McGraw-Hill Books, only in soft cover.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

On 4/28/2020 at 9:22 AM, ccoyle said:

I wish we had some pictures of it here.

Here are some pictures for you..

Don Dressel SOS..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks to all who replied. And thanks to this site I found yet another book on planking. Well...more of a pamphlet than a book as its only 16 pages with illustrations. The title is "Planking Model Ships" A step by step procedure for beginning and advanced modelers written by Richard Mansir. Looks to be a series of workbooks by Moonraker as it is workbook number 1. I'll have to check out Moonraker to see if there are more of their books on line.

Allen

22 minutes ago, Dziadeczek said:

Don't forget that there is also an excellent brochure "Planking the built-up Ship Models" by the late Jim Roberts

This should be in every beginner's library - inexpensive - available from Model Expo.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS