Wütender Hund by Chuck Seiler - Shipyard - 1/72 - Hanseatic Cog 1390 - CARD

Chuck, good luck with that warping – it's definitely weird. Hopefully, it straightens out once it's fastened into place.

By the way, I'm working on the rigging now on my Cog 'o' Card. Was just wondering, did Shipyard make some laser-cut wooden blocks for your kit? Or did they stick with their laser-cut card blocks?

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

They came with the same built-up/laminated blocks as the card version except wood.  I am swapping out with SYREN blocks.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

It's great that they make the blocks and deadeyes in wood. The card blocks are actually very nice, but I just had to make sure to shoot them with thin CA to harden them up – the innards are otherwise too squishy and close up the holes, so I can't push the rigging line through them.

I'm surprised you mention using Syren blocks, since they're an 18th century style blocks and the cog is 14th century. Do you think they're more fitting than the kit stuff? I'm not sure what 14th century blocks are supposed to look like, but these kit block certainly have an "old-style" look to them.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

9 hours ago, catopower said:

I'm surprised you mention using Syren blocks, since they're an 18th century style blocks and the cog is 14th century. Do you think they're more fitting than the kit stuff? I'm not sure what 14th century blocks are supposed to look like, but these kit block certainly have an "old-style" look to them.

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought of that.  I was thinking the kit supplied blocks didn't look quite right.  Perhaps it is because I am so used to seeing 18th century blocks.  I guess I need to look at some of Louie da Fly's olde tyme cog paintings and re-evaluate.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Excellent, thanks.  If I am not mistaken, the Almere wreck is early 15th century; slightly later than my cog, but in the same ballpark.

The stropping appears to start off exterior to the block on the bottom side, then transitions to internal about 2/3 of the way up, then out though the top.  Am I seeing that correctly?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That is how I read it as well.  It seems to be more difficult than it needs to be, but I guess they did it that way for a reason.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That's what duct tape is for.  😁

Makes sense.  why did that practice stop?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

The decorative moulding on the stern castle is complete.

837551955_bricabrac.thumb.JPG.f4ed91650cefd576920edf4c38940065.JPG

You can see by the included ruler how thin this stuff is.  Perhaps 1mm...and cross grain along half of it.  I chose to paint the parts on the part tree, before removal.  This turned out to be a good choice.  It strengthened the part and prevents smudging of the red color onto the rest of the castle.

undercarriage.JPG.20b2b44602628ac6d81c119ca769090f.JPG

The next step is to build the under carriage of the stern castle.  We'll see how that goes.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

I chose to paint the parts on the part tree, before removal.  This turned out to be a good choice.

I agree! I did the same for mine. I can't imagine anyone with a steady enough hand to paint that after it's already on the model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

DANG!!!!!!!!!  I am 2/3 of the way thru the under-carriage for the stern castle and wanted to test fit to see if all was lining up and to see if I could get it to lay flat.  I was able to get it to lay flat and all 4 tabs fit into the appropriate slot.  YAAAHOOOO.  However, looking from the stern it appears uneven.   DANG!!!!  Something must be wrong with the castle.  There is about a 1/8" difference between the top of the gun'l from port and starboard.  DANG!!!

oops1.thumb.JPG.533d26b0d59d27cb810422b280221ea7.JPG

I measured all 4 stations, bottom to top of castle, on both side.  Both sides matched up

oops23.thumb.jpg.4c95d93f84fc69c2d35ed15ffc31f5b4.jpg

I ran a plumb along the center of the deck, from the bow-sprit-thingy in the bow to the aftmost part of the castle.  The castle is centered.  I then ran a vertical plum using the bow sprit and sternpost as guides.  The castle is centered.  My conclusion is that despite reasonably closely hitting all the marks in the planking proces, I missed the mark by 1/8 inch.  Short of pulling all the planking apart, I need to figure a way to resolve the issue.  :default_wallbash:

Any thoughts?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I think if you were to really work at fixing that alignment problem, you'd probably throw off the alignment elsewhere (and remember I had worse issues with my build, trying to get the stern castle structure seated). Considering that the issue is likely only noticeable when viewed from dead astern, I'd vote to just leave it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I have had time to think about it...even had dreams (the mind trying to solve the problem).  I am sure nobody here has EVER had that happen.  😁  Along with these thoughts and your inputs I came up with a few options.  I wanted to complete the undercarriage and re-test fit to see exactly where I stood before proceeding.  Test fit complete.  Pics and discussion to follow.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

With the full under-carriage in place it does not look quite as bad.  The side is still a problem but the stern (which is pretty much exposed) is closer than I thought.  I can work with it.

oops4a.jpg.db28a61ff5640bcd19967f42dd14b06c.jpg

I was contemplating minor surgery.  The top 4 strakes are not tied into the sternpost so it would not be a complete teardown.  There are some underplank supports that would have to be dealt with, but that will be, for the most part, unseen so any damage will not be a big deal.

Option 1 would be to use isopropyl alcohol to unglue and peel back the upper strake to the point indicated.  Strake #2 would be unglued as well, except the rear-most plank would be removed and replaced with one that gets gradually wider towards the end.  Strake 1 would then be glued back in place.  One downside would be a new twist to strake 1.  This may end up being unacceptable.  Option 2 would be the same except to replace strake 1 with a wider version, connecting it so there is no twist.  This has the benefit of requiring less of a flair at the end.

oops5.thumb.JPG.e832d3031387c47933d412910d6b2d05.JPG

Both of these will result in new, unstained, planking being added.  It will probably result in the loss of uniformity of color when stained.

Option 3 is to manipulate the stern castle planking so as to cover the gap, but be uniform on both sides.  Bend to fit/paint to match.

oops6.thumb.JPG.3cf0c94bfae0afd4cf993832371175a9.JPG

Regardless of the option, I will need to figure some way to fix or hide the gap in the stern.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck's Paint and Body Shoppe-

Bend to fit.  Paint to match.  Close enough for government work

sc78.thumb.jpg.1791a8d30f6b0b6736b5532dc276b460.jpg

SC9.thumb.JPG.d564c51cf437941c6ba7f761de921cf1.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That was just a quick and dirty to show where I am.  I wanted to get in and out so all the comments and such can come pouring in.  <crikt crikt>  The process was easier than anticipated but would have been easier without the castle in place.

At this point, I am thinking of 'Wipe on Poly'ing the hull.  Is there any issue with applying poly over oil based stain?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thanks.  I would have preferred it worked out right the first time, but this is a good alternative.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Clare.  I am pretty happy with the way the trim turned out.  I have done that before...painting before putting it on the model, but this had its own challenges.  One panel on the stern and 2 on the bow had one one area snap and curl due to the moisture in the paint.  I corrected by using painted thread.  I will show this in my next post.

I tried the WOP on the deck.  Not terribly bad, but as good as I would have liked.  I will not be using it on the hull.  I may use Tung oil or just leave it as is.

Update due tomorrow.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Progress continues.  The forward castle (front porch) is complete and ready to be mounted.

1560695618_frontporch.thumb.JPG.9bfd989cc682f56212898a239786342c.JPG

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had issues with the trim becoming damaged during the painting process due to the moisture in the paint (a break in the structure and curling).  You can see one such place on the port side.  And a close up of the same location:  Red painted thread.

porch12.thumb.jpg.4dcd408d11c8fc08995aa06043c1fa6f.jpg

Some detail on the stern castle completed:  This includes the under deck windlass, the above deck capstan and the forward wall of the stern castle (billboard).

stuff.thumb.JPG.f19b69254109e9b90ae1b088b60c28fa.JPG

The capstan from another angle.  I still have not figured out what it is for.

capstan.thumb.JPG.8ef9647fc58f3e508037d45aefde8cae.JPG

Up Next:  Some blocks and deadeyes.  I also want to mount the model on a base before I start the rigging process.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Looks good and I love the billboard.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree that it looks good. But, my thought was from the cartoon The Jetsons, where George Jetson worked for Spacely Space Sprockets and the rival company was called Cogswell Cogs 🙂

And, when I read your first sentence, where you wrote "front porch", maybe because it's your Woody Dog, I thought I read "front pooch"!

About those repairs, they're completely unnoticeable.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Steven, 

The under-deck windlass is used to hoist the yard.  One suggestion was that it was to hoist the anchor, but it appears poorly positioned for that.  Cargo loading maybe?

yardhoist.thumb.JPG.f302aa207b849c610b719de36ee2b40c.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild