New member from Scotland

Hi all

I joined the forum a little while ago and have been avidly reading build logs and other posts.  I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I live in NE Scotland and my main activity is being a carer for my disabled son.  In my spare time I also build musical instruments (guitars, ukuleles, mandolins) and have even sold a few 😉.  In the dim and distant past when I was a kid my dad and me built Airfix kits together culminating in the HMS Victory kit.  It's something I have very fond memories of. 

So....after much dithering I bought myself a kit the HMS Terror by Occre.  I'm not too far into it but I can see I'm going to enjoy it. In fact some of my lutherie skills are readily transferable.  I bend instrument sides and instrument bindings all the time with an electric bending iron and it's something I'm very comfortable using.  Planks for model ships are not unlike instrument binding strips so I'm thinking why not use my bending iron and am slightly surprised they are not commonly used by ship modellers.   I've attached a pic of the one I have for your interest (or not!)

Anyway glad to be here and all the best to you all

Gerry

bending iron.jpg

Welcome to Model Ship World Gerry.  I hope you start a build log on your Occre Terror.  Your lutherie skills will definitely help in your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Greetings, and welcome, from Southern California.

:piratebo5:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to MSW.  Actually many of use either adapt something for bending (like a curling iron or soldering iron) or do use tools designed for ... maybe not as nice as that one though.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Again thanks guys.  A build log might be a step too far at this point for me!  But I'm already planning future builds so for sure next time.  

I think the bending iron will work a treat but that's easy for me to say at this point!  Luckily I don't have to buy many more tools for modelling than I already have so that's good.

Below is a pic of my current mandolin build before any finishing.  Ironically it's getting a kind of oil varnish that they use on boats!

IMG_20200516_125149_086.jpg

Beautiful work.  Is your mandolin built from a kit or are you scratch building it?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Cheers guys!  Scratch built.  Been doing lutherie a long time so it's only really the hardware that I don't build myself.  The back is flamed European maple (the same stuff Strad used for his fiddles hehe!)

It looks like this now.  Waiting for the varnish to cure before level sanding and buffing to a gloss finish.

IMG_20200605_122749.jpg

Welcome to MSW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

2 hours ago, drumgerry said:

flamed European maple

I have seen some very nice 'faux' tiger-stripe maple rifle stocks made by using this technique -- usually for old-style Hawken, Kentuck, or Pennsylvania rifles.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I have seen some very nice 'faux' tiger-stripe maple rifle stocks made by using this technique -- usually for old-style Hawken, Kentuck, or Pennsylvania rifles.

Chris - commonly known as a sunburst or burst.  Specifically this is a tobacco sunburst and comprises only two colours  - some bursts have a red between the dark outer and the gold inner. I use transtint dyes and an airbrush  - both things I'm hoping to make use of also in ship modelling.

Thanks for the kind words and welcome Michael.  Glad to be here.  It's an amazing forum chock full of highly skilled builders!

Hi Gerry, and welcome.

That's a very nice mandolin. I have a violin that belonged to my grandfather with a fiddleback grain on the back like yours. You've done a very nice job.

Your bending iron is going to get a fair bit of work - as I recall, the Terror has a particularly blunt bow. Make sure you have a good close look at MSW's planking tutorials - they're invaluable and will help you avoid some of the commoner problems most people encounter with planking.

And do start a build log. Nobody will bite, I can assure you. I know it can be a bit daunting putting your stuff up in front of people whose skills are, to put it mildly, amazing. I'm still gobsmacked by some of the builds up on MSW, and even now I feel I'll never approach their skill levels. But everybody was a newbie once, and there are plenty of beginners with build logs here. Your skills as a luthier probably put you in a better position than most people who are just starting out.

And don't worry about making mistakes - you're bound to at some point, it's just part of the process, and even the most experienced still do it (though their mistakes are usually much more interesting than mine). But very few mistakes are fatal to the build and just about all of them can be remedied. The members are supportive and encouraging, and very willing to give help and advice. In fact a log is a very good place to ask questions as you progress with your build.

Thanks for the very encouraging words Steven.  I have decided to just go for it and start a build log.  There seems to be many parallels and cross overs between building model ships and lutherie.  I'm sure many of you on here would turn out fine musical instruments if you put your mind and skills to it.

All the best,  Gerry

Welcome to MSW Gerry, wonderful work on the mandolin.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Well, perhaps not a fine instrument, but an interesting one . . .

20200704_202953.thumb.jpg.1cdcb3ad8fe4122158ac2f9d4aa0b3e1.jpg

Replica of a mediaeval Russian fiddle called a smyk or gudok, 11th century - I made it almost 30 years ago, when I was into mediaeval re-enactment. It's based on an archaeological find. No sound post, so it's very quiet. To someone used to a modern violin, it's absolute murder to play this thing.

I've seen pictures of the Sutton Hoo lyre reconstruction. As I understand it not all that much of the original survived and the reconstruction was based as much on contemporary pictures as on the artefact itself. I don't remember seeing the lyre when we went to the British Museum to see the Sutton Hoo exhibit. Perhaps I was distracted by the magnificent gold and garnet work and the amazing helmet.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me