Jump to content

RATLINER COMBO


Papa

Recommended Posts

Is this similar to loom a line type tool? That is listed in the tools not to bother with pdf (http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/materials_and_tools/ToolsNotToBotherWith.pdf)? Yopu can navigate there from the Articles Database at the top, then Materials and Tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am tying ratlines right now... about 2000 clove hitches.  I don't see any advantage with this.  It would seem that it would be more difficult to attache the whole thing to the model and have it fit properly.  How to you keep everything straight and aligned if the shrouds are not in place yet.  Definitely seems more trouble than it's worth.  Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a post I made a while back about ratlines.

 

Notice how fine the rope and  knots are on those actual ratlines are.

On an otherwise nice looking model, clove hitches at a scale size of tennis balls can be very distracting.

 

I can't seem to find the post from Jersey City Frankie about gluing ratlines, but it is an option to consider.  let me know if you would like more info about how to do this..

 

My favorite example of tied ratlines is from JesseLee's Syren

 

 

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I can't see the advantage of putting the ratlines on off the ship. It is going to be messed up and pulled out of shape. Nicely install the shrouds and then with them securely and finally in place work your way up with the ratlines. Draw the pattern as it should be, shrouds and ratlines, on a piece of card that you hold/fix behind the shrouds for guidance. It shows you the correct distances and also, whether you are pulling the shrouds out of line.

wefalck

 

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

 

 

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was a young modeler I thought "there must be a bunch of tricks to make things easier to do to get those kind of results" as I've gotten older I realized that while there are a few things one can do, with ratlines you just have to tough it out. Its what makes these fine models valuable.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wefalck said:

Personally, I can't see the advantage of putting the ratlines on off the ship. It is going to be messed up and pulled out of shape. Nicely install the shrouds and then with them securely and finally in place work your way up with the ratlines. Draw the pattern as it should be, shrouds and ratlines, on a piece of card that you hold/fix behind the shrouds for guidance. It shows you the correct distances and also, whether you are pulling the shrouds out of line.

I agree with you.  Doing them off ship will probably lead to more problems than on ship. I was hoping there was an easier way than what I’ve done in the past.  Wishful thinking I guess.  When I get to rigging my Charles W Morgan I will just stick with the old fashioned way.  2000 clove hitches or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, reklein said:

When I was a young modeler I thought "there must be a bunch of tricks to make things easier to do to get those kind of results" as I've gotten older I realized that while there are a few things one can do, with ratlines you just have to tough it out. Its what makes these fine models valuable.

I guess, when I was in my teens (back in the late 1960s/early 1970s) and did my first ratlines, these gizmos were not around or I was not aware of them. So I did it the 'right' way without asking questions about short-cuts ;)

 

wefalck

 

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

 

 

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ron,

Have another model on standby to break up the monotony.   Ratlines are tedious and one needs breaks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans                             Triton Cross-Section   

                                                                                                                       USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War  _(Gallery) Build Log

                                                                                Wasa (Gallery)

                                                                                                                        HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

 

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

         

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Ron,

Have another model on standby to break up the monotony.   Ratlines are tedious and one needs breaks.

I always have several models on standby 😁. Right now I am painting a 1/144 scale B-25, and shaping the hull of an old “yellow box” Gjoa from Model Shipways. I am waiting on some scribed sheets from Model Expo to make the hurricane house etc. at the stern on the Morgan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...