Frigate Diana by ObviousNewbie - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:82 - Second wooden ship build

Hi all, thnx for checking in. Busy times at work, work progressed slowly, but the ads are now finished 🙂 Dryfitted them on the masts, using a small messing pin:

IMG_8189.thumb.JPG.3ad7d61bca722fefddf14f352ebc50c5.JPG

Next step, securing the masts and bowsprit, and then rigging begins in earnest..

Question about rigging: Occre's rigging sequence starts with the shrouds and ratlines, and then moving on to stays. Somehow tension-wise that doesn't make sense. Thinking about making the stays, and then proceeding with the shrouds. Also, tension-wise I saw a number of build logs where the stays move forward, starting from the mizzen mast. That makes sense a swell.  Any thoughts/comments on this?

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

Well
I'm just getting started on rigging, but this is how I'm planning to do it 
1 Schrouds mizzen mast
2 forestay mizzen mast

3 Backstays main mast

4 schrouds main mast

5 forestay main mast

6 Backstays fore mast

7 schrouds fore mast

8 forestay fore mast

This is on a 16th century ship, but I think the general order is about the same with your ship

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 minutes ago, Backer said:

Well
I'm just getting started on rigging, but this is how I'm planning to do it 
1 Schrouds mizzen mast
2 forestay mizzen mast

3 Backstays main mast

4 schrouds main mast

5 forestay main mast

6 Backstays fore mast

7 schrouds fore mast

8 forestay fore mast

This is on a 16th century ship, but I think the general order is about the same with your ship

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

Thnx Patrick, makes more sense to work your way forward via the shrouds. Allthough Diana has a backstay on the mizzen mast as well, so I’ll start with that. Thnx again!

Current build: 

Quick update, decided to rig the halyards and the slings before securing he masts, as I remembered I had a lot of issues with this on Terror. Noted the reference number of the rope onto some blue paper tape, so I know where to attach it to 🙂

IMG_8201.thumb.JPG.c903bd85cb805485ea16e22962a8fe8d.JPG

Attached the masts, prepped the backstay for the mizzen mast, when it occurred to me I might as well do the other halyards of the mizzen mast as well. Here's my question: halyards for the mizzen main sails and the mizzen topsail run parallel with the mast, but the mizzen topgalant halyard runs to a belaying pin on starboard.  So does this line run in parallel with the mast as well until the lower platform (option A in the very sketchy drawing), or does it go straight to the pinrack (option B)? 

IMG_8209.thumb.JPG.584311f311598046c0e2d933b07f5902.JPG

Thnx for clarifying this for me. Personally, I think option B makes more sense, as there are no friction points possibly damaging the rope.

Stay healthy, stay safe.

Current build: 

I see this too late :default_wallbash:

It is best to turn the blocks 180 ° then it looks like the rope goes around the "disk" in the block

IMG_8201.thumb.JPG.c903bd85cb805485ea16e22962a8fe8d.JPG

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

On 4/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, ObviousNewbie said:

Question about rigging: Occre's rigging sequence starts with the shrouds and ratlines, and then moving on to stays. Somehow tension-wise that doesn't make sense. Thinking about making the stays, and then proceeding with the shrouds. Also, tension-wise I saw a number of build logs where the stays move forward, starting from the mizzen mast. That makes sense a swell.  Any thoughts/comments on this?

rigging the shrouds before stays is the normal practice. If it is done otherwise, the loop of stays around the topmasts gets below the shrouds which would be incorrect, as they have to be over them. 

I found it is not practical to finally tension the lines until a much later stage. The braces will pull the shrouds after you rig them, and have to adjust anyway.

Also note, the Occre rigging plan show the stays tied off on the middle of the masts. In practice, the lines were belayed on the deck or the mas top as below, if you choose to to complicate your life further :)stays.jpg.515b3dab55d5bfc94de6eb53c75eb6f8.jpg

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thnx for checking in. Small update, rigging is in full swing:

IMG_8226.thumb.JPG.01d5789e3aa1de95b72997b9b1f4bd46.JPG

Approached the deadeyes in a different way this time, as the results on Terror were not too accurate: too high, too low...

IMG_8224.thumb.JPG.66f8639d4e6733993c1d55edb3913413.JPG

With "varying degrees of success":

IMG_8225.thumb.JPG.d097a8062ae4267e0cea6f8399a5e20a.JPG

I'm still learning, but the result is better than my first attempt 🙂

Stay healthy!

Current build: 

Good progress.

Try running the rope trough beeswax so it does not get hairy (or diluted white glue).

I found beeswax in "ecological" products shop where they sell a lot of different stuff (food, chemicals etc).

Edited by Wahka_est

Hi all, thnx for checking in. Rigging continues unabated:

IMG_8236.thumb.JPG.20629c39967aaf371c97655af6f15726.JPG

As I'm not following Occr's instructions, it's a bit chaotic rigging lines while keeping an eye n the tension, but that' part of the fun I guess. Installed the gaff already, as my previous experience with Terror taught me doing these things last is a major hassle:

IMG_8238.thumb.JPG.31d4ef5d72b8d36ec7cf1516f244198e.JPG

On to the bowsprit, where Occre's instructions are unclear (contrary to their other rigging schemes). Had to improvise and make some creative decisions, but here we are now:

IMG_8239.thumb.JPG.8cf3d384df85e3396d3f2bc75bf54661.JPG

One thing remains a mystery: the lines tying the dolphin striker to the main hull. Occre shows them as dissappreaing into the openings on the top of the stem, but doesn't mention where exactly they need to be tied to. The cleats on the deck are for other lines according to the scheme, so I'm left wondering. thinking about tying the two lines to the points next to the cathead. Any ideas?

As always, thnx for your help.

Current build: 

18 minutes ago, Kyak said:

Hi,

Really nice progress on your model.  A question, what did you use to color the masts? I really like it.

Gr.

Thnx! I used Occre’s Sapelli dye. I was in doubt for a while to use walnut dye but after testing that came out a bit too dark for my taste. Hope this helps!

Current build: 

Hi Robert, the line you are referring is called a martingale, which counters the upwards pull of the stays, with the help of the dolphin striker, which is a device to increase the angle of the rope to amplify the downward pull. You took me over by your progress as I haven't rigged this lined yet. To be honest, I don't know what would be the current arrangement for the Diana, but a little research shows several options.

Petersson shows it is belayed besides the foot of the bowsprit after leading it through a block below the stay collars. While I try to follow this resource, for me it seems impractical given the different proportions of the Diana (and probably the shown example is a later period due to the double arrangement).

image.png.40223202c69a841dd5232944f681300b.png

A well documented build of the Occre Diana exist in a Russian forum (here). On photo 13 the builder tied off the lines on the big timberhead just besides the cathead (if I see well). It seems to be a viable option.

The rigging manual of the Caldercraft Victory (available here) instructs, the martingale tied to the knighthead, similar to what the Russian builder did.

Another reference might be the Artesania Latina Surprise, with the manual available here. On page 67 the, line seems to be tied to an eye in the hull below the rails.

I hope this helps.

best,

David

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

David, thank you so much for this. I usually follow the simple rule: "ropes do not touch", so that's how I got to my idea. Thnx for sharing your links and knowledge, I will visit both sites extensively! I'm a bit ahead of you indeed, and if you need any tips from someone who's not on your level of detailing or experience, I'm happy to help.

Current build: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi al, it’s been a while, but I’ve been busy 😊. Thnaks to DavidG, the Martingale mystery was solved:

CC1530BA-7F54-4AF6-89B2-5140ACED6E68.thumb.jpeg.4982e0567d9a5e4f18433a7701135078.jpeg

After that, rigging continued with finishing off the shrouds and attacking the ratlines. Complicated as the stays were already in place, so had to work slowly and very carefully. Eventually all lines were up:

E7DC7AF1-DDB9-4312-AD5A-01D04E87EDB8.thumb.jpeg.0a7d28e7155e1931b85644bba95e7870.jpeg

Then I got to work on the upper shrouds and ratlines:

6AF83D63-C10B-41A1-9C86-5386E8F32398.thumb.jpeg.e7f5fb60765fba943a633bfddb481c41.jpeg

And after that process, the standing rigging was in place, so on to the running rigging:

CDDC78AA-C1E2-4B4D-AE2A-CAC85EC6177C.thumb.jpeg.3d2e9d47c21c078a458552bf56bf6c7f.jpeg

Moving mast by mast, this is my favorite part of the rigging process, as you see the whole ship gain it’s final shape. Following the build logs I use as inspiration, I experimented  with some extra details:

9B3B331B-891B-4F70-BB00-3D677520D885.thumb.jpeg.d2f104379e491c3e5c7ce290a05f014d.jpeg

Not sure why the rope is so fuzzy in the closeup, as these lines are waxed before they’re installed.

Diana is shaping up, the final lines and then deciding which lifeboats to use. Then it will be time to solve the biggest problem: where to put her!😁

Current build: 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thnx for checking in. It's been a while, but we're there, Frigate Diana is finished:

IMG_8373.thumb.JPG.77c4d56c6a636bbeeea85b221c55101d.JPG

IMG_8379.thumb.JPG.bcca4c3bf932ff552a7f171fd2fd2fb8.JPGIMG_8349.thumb.JPG.e6e37d4ac107e22e2e787ba52ae0b017.JPGIMG_8368.thumb.JPG.0a72b4be4f248916045c37c4508dde79.JPGIMG_8356.thumb.JPG.d7334b78d79f34cdfa3d7af075481210.JPGIMG_8349.thumb.JPG.e6e37d4ac107e22e2e787ba52ae0b017.JPGIMG_8363.thumb.JPG.f69654b4f884bb9accf576badc22fd5b.JPG

Quite a challenging build experience as a second ship, but incredibly gratifying. Learned a lot of new stuff, including new techniques from all of you scattered over this forum (and some of my own), tried out and tested a lot more, and built my first scratch build pieces 🙂

The Admiral took a long look and then this happened:

Admiral: She's gorgeous, beautiful job!

Me: Thnx!

Admiral: now you only (!) need to put on the sails.

Me: Errmm, no...

Admiral: But she's a sailing ship, she needs to have sails!

Me: But all my rigging will be hidden!

Admiral: yes, but you'll see sails 🙂

In short, we compromised: the next one will have sails 🙂

Thnx to everyone for the help and support in this 10 month build. On to the next one, a bigger challenge still:

IMG_8369.thumb.jpg.3450f76b09ea2e9875d563e340b5be34.jpg

Single planking, hardly any instructions, walnut planks... What was I thinking? 🙂 I'll cover this in a separate log, for sure.

thnx again all, the model shipwright bug has certainly caught!

IMG_8344.JPG

IMG_8375.JPG

Current build: 

10 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Beautiful! But now I think you need a new username, because you are obviously not a newbie anymore! 😉

Thnx! Indeed, I'll start thinking about it.... If I can get my head away from the stern of the Bireme 🙂

Current build: 

Great work.

Congrats with this nice model 👍

Regards, Patrick

Obvious,

I just found this beautiful build!  You did a great job; I am most impressed!  I saw that you asked a question on Page 2 about attaching yards to the masts but I never read anyone answering.  You should look up "parrels", which differ slightly depending on the nation building the ship.  Good luck on your next ship!

Bill

12 minutes ago, Wahka_est said:

Superb job. I dont understand how have you finished them so fast.... Im still in middle.. :(

My admiral also talks about sails.....

Thnx for you comment, top tip: compromise on the sails 🙂

Current build: 

12 hours ago, Bill Morrison said:

Obvious,

I just found this beautiful build!  You did a great job; I am most impressed!  I saw that you asked a question on Page 2 about attaching yards to the masts but I never read anyone answering.  You should look up "parrels", which differ slightly depending on the nation building the ship.  Good luck on your next ship!

Bill

Thank you for your kind words, got it sorted out with a small messing pin in the mast, worked like a charm 🙂

Current build: 

Hello, your Diana looks awsome and it's very clean builded. 

I'm building now her cousine Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes in similar manner ( pure wood and no paint ) and your build helped me a lot as they share a lot of parts.

Greetings Paul

Work in progress:

PA-2 (ex Hallebarde) Captured Flower-class corvette 1/144 Revell

Completed:

Le Renard corsair cutter 1:50 Artesania Latina

Polaris schooner conversion OcCre 1:50

San Juan felucca OcCre 1:70

Buccaneer gelleon 1:100 OcCre

Chinese pirate junk 1:100 Amati

Planned:

Montanes OcCre 1:70, Greek Galliot Amati 1:65, Pinta Amati 1:65, Terror OcCre 1:75, Le Coureur Mamoli 1:54

On 6/5/2021 at 10:36 PM, Baltic_submariner said:

Hello, your Diana looks awsome and it's very clean builded. 

I'm building now her cousine Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes in similar manner ( pure wood and no paint ) and your build helped me a lot as they share a lot of parts.

Thnx for your feedback Paul, if you have any questions with Mercedes, don't hesitate to get in touch, I'll try to help as much as I can with my limited knowledge 🙂

Current build: