Greetings from Chicago and winter is coming

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd make an introduction since I finally decided to create an account. I've been looking through everyone's build logs and discussions with a lot of envy. I have been considering getting into builds myself but am still firmly in the research phase of my journey. As a kid I did a number of plastic car builds which were really poor in the end but I thoroughly enjoyed the meditative nature of them. Now many years later I'm looking for something to occupy me in the coming winter which we all know is going to quite solitary with covid and model ships seem like a great way to occupy my time. I'm a software developer by day so I thoroughly enjoy working out puzzles and I'd really like to find something to occupy myself at night and weekends for the coming season (and maybe beyond) that doesn't involve code.

Deciding on my first build has turned out to be a challenge though. I don't want it to be too easy but I also don't want it to completely turn me off either. I have my eyes on the Bluejacket Grand Banks Dory based on what a few other people have written here but I really enjoy reading all of the build logs across all experience levels so it's been tough to decide. You have all been quite an inspiration!

Thanks everyone for a great community and I look forward to contributing.

ThirdCoast, a big :722972270:

The choice of yours are perfect to start with, this as the kit doesn't have any complex rigging which can be very intimidating for a beginner.
Hope you took a look at the video presented by Nick @ Bluenose.

I have included two videos of building the dory, this from Todd Wardwell.
I haven't watch the videos myself, but they may have some valuable information.
With this kit you will get all needed skills to move forward to your next ship.

That being said, a build log along with pictures will help you in the progress of the build but also use when getting stuck to ask questions.

If you like to provide a first name, please do but it's not needed.

Dory Part One

Dory Part Two

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

7 hours ago, Nirvana said:

ThirdCoast, a big :722972270:

The choice of yours are perfect to start with, this as the kit doesn't have any complex rigging which can be very intimidating for a beginner.
Hope you took a look at the video presented by Nick @ Bluenose.

I have included two videos of building the dory, this from Todd Wardwell.
I haven't watch the videos myself, but they may have some valuable information.
With this kit you will get all needed skills to move forward to your next ship.

That being said, a build log along with pictures will help you in the progress of the build but also use when getting stuck to ask questions.

If you like to provide a first name, please do but it's not needed.

Dory Part One

Dory Part Two

Thank you, @Nirvana! That's very helpful of you. I'll be sure to look through those videos. And thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome to MSW, ThirdCoast.  I"m not sure what the third coast is but not knowing your name that's what we'll use. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the MSW group,

Being a beginner I have found this format to not only enlightening and fun, however extremely supporting. This is a great group to be associated with, best of luck with your future endeavors on ship building.

Take care folks, always appreciative of everyone's support!

Bill T.

Finished Builds:

Revell:  Cutty Shark 1980 (1/96 Plastic); Thermopylae 1981 (1/96 Plastic); USS Constitution 1983 (1/96 Plastic), USS United States 1985 (1/96 Plastic)

Midwest Products: Chesapeake Bay Skip-Jack Success Series (2001 Wood), Booths Bay Lobster Boat Working R/C Success Series (1"-1' 2002-2019)

Blue Jacket Shipcrafters: Yankee Hero (3/8-1 2020 on MSW), Revenue Cutter (1/4"-1' Current)

On 8/25/2020 at 8:58 PM, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, ThirdCoast.  I"m not sure what the third coast is but not knowing your name that's what we'll use. ;)

America's Inland Fresh Water Sea aka Great Lakes = Northern Coast 😉😉😉😉😉 Oh yea! Canada's south coast

Welcome to MSW, ThirdCoast

:piratebo5:      :722972270:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum