HMS Granado by HardeeHarHar - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Bomb Vessel

Looks great  :cheers:  I've learned, as I'm sure you have, to take the oops' that turn into "well that'll work just fine" as a victory that you planned all along  ;)

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Well do  I feel like one of the crew now, can't see, shaking and saying I meant to do that LOL . I am not a noobie anymore , up to beginner status lol  Oh by the way your ship is really looking good.     :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Haha hahaha!  You guys are such good colleagues!!!  Thanks very much for making me smile and letting me know you’ve been there done that!! FYI- I take my contact lenses out to see better, but there isn’t much I can do about the shaking hands (I try to use liquid refreshments, with little success). In my latest struggles, I definitely had a moment of relief when I got the broken drill bits cleared, and then I could act like Joe Cool when the panic subsided.  

Today, was another challenge for shaking hands and drill bits.  Drilling tiny holes through tiny brass parts with a Dremel!!!  I’ll post pictures later (they are wet with black paint at the moment).  I’m stunned I was able to go 4 in a row with no “oh shooot” moments.  I also prepped and stained the channels and painted the chainplates, drilled out all the required deadeye holes a wee bit bigger, and stained them too.  There is a lot still remaining to do before I start making the masts, yards, gaffs, etc!!!

Hey HHH, you always make me smile, thank you.  This is what I've learned about the "liquid refreshments" approach, it usually doesn't work but after awhile you really don't care.  The problem is you have to realize it isn't working before you don't care anymore or you've gotten yourself into more trouble than just a little bit.  Why would your pictures be all wet with black paint?  I know I'm a newbie but I would think it might work out a lot better if you would want to put the black paint on your Dremel holed tiny brass pieces  :10_1_10:  Sorry, once again I couldn't help myself.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Kev, I’m glad you are here to help me out and clarify my gibberish!  Doh!  Here (see pic) are the teeny posts with the holes I drilled in them using a dremel…all the posts were then painted black. 😬 I broke another hand drill bit in the rail installing them today.  Argh!!!!  I also hand drilled holes in all the channels (2 per channel, 8 channels) and then glued pins in the holes to be used to secure them firmly to the hull.  I have also put all the deadeyes in their chain plates.  These metal parts were also painted black.  You then stretch them open, put the deadeye in, and squeeze‘em shut on it (see pic 2, with a 3mm deadeye stained dark).

image.thumb.jpeg.57c4c402140160bf6ac5397f35663ac6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d6a846ca924a2048554282ac4d85b212.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 4 weeks later...

Secret Vessel made it safely to Roanoke Island, so now my attention turns back to the Granado build.  Yesterday I finished up some of the work that I had been procrastinating becauseit appeared fairly fragile and I didn't want to put it in place only to smash it up with my fat fingers (i.e., elm tree pumps)  I hope to get all the chainplates in place today or tomorrow, as I have placed pins in all of them to ensure a solid installation.  I also brought a stock of boxwood to be used for the masts and spars of the Granado that I recently acquired from Joseph Volpe of Modeler's Sawmill.  He provides a really nice source of boxwood with excellent service.  I have a new Proxxon Lathe, and a finger plane, and will have to learn to use these properly to avoid turning all the beautiful boxwood into sawdust.  I also purchased a new kit for the Durham Drydock which should keep me busy for several years in the future.  IMG_1390.thumb.jpeg.ce60ec6be068d86a2fd00bb46a0a3625.jpeg

IMG_1391.thumb.jpeg.4e78b315143e166f7c0eef28d26ba8f7.jpeg

IMG_1389.thumb.jpeg.8d7f8ac8de7911489c1e7cdd63c6c25b.jpeg

I have some work work to do today (booooo), but I have been thinking (yes, it happens) about next steps.  I'm ready to install the channels and chainplates, but before I do that, I think it might be a good idea to put the lids on the sweep ports.  They are little itty bitty lids with fiddly little hinges, and can be mounted in closed or open configuration.  Orrrrrrr, I could just not even install them.  No one would miss them, but I can't tell if I should be historically accurate, in which case I would install them in the open configuration since I went to all the trouble to make pretty little sweep ports that would only disappear if I install them in the closed configuration.  There is no way I am going to just slap them in the closed position over those sweet looking sweep ports that give the hull a nice business like look.  If I do decide to install them, it seems like it is now or never, before I go and install the channels and chainplates etc.  Decisions, decisions!  I'm soliciting opinions to see if my colleagues can help convince me one way or the other.

Also, I got a box delivered today all the way from the UK, and a new build log is waiting inside!!!

Edited by HardeeHarHar

59 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

How fragile would they be if in the open position?  I think it may look nice with some open, but I know I would probably keep knocking them off as i'm so clumsy! 🤐

Hey Andrew, I am glad you asked.  I would think they would be relatively fragile.  They are supposed to be made from 0.5 mm thick, 3 mm wide, and 3.5 mm long walnut.  At 0.5 mm thick, they are going to be fairly fragile, yes?  Right now, I have been thinking I will use the 0.5 mm thick, 4 mm wide maple strips I have left over from the deck planking.  I have used boxwood instead of walnut for the hull planking, but my boxwood strips are 1 mm thick, 4 mm wide.  The instructions recommend that the inside of each lid is painted red, so I took a maple strip and painted one side red.  Then I sanded the sides where the red had bled over, and (if I persist) will likely continue to reduce the width down to the 3 mm width recommended (without being overly accurate about it).  You then are supposed to paint the hinges black and adhere them to the front (non-painted) side with CA (good time and place for the extra time control CA I have on hand I suspect), and drill a hole in the middle on the red side and glue a teeny tiny eye bolt on that side.  You are then instructed to drill little bitty holes in the hull, and then the legs of the hinges can be inserted/CA'd into the holes in the hull to provide the glue job with a little extra reinforcement.  I haven't done it yet, so I haven't really tested the relative ease or feasibility of the (w)hole operation (heh heh, see what I did there?).  I think I will attach a hinge or two and see how fiddly the hinge and its legs appears before drilling any holes in the side of the Granado.  It does sound like a lot of work, and drilling 36 tiny holes in the side of the hull is terrifying to Dr. Breaks Bits.  Heck, I've been wondering how in the heck I am going to handle the ship when it is time to mount it on a board for display...and I suspect some "reconstruction" will be required when it is done, and can now imagine some of the sweep port lids could be involved if they are in place at the time.  The one thing that makes me want to do it is because it would be more accurate with them in place, but I have to admit that the ports look pretty nice and sharp without them.  Having them in the closed position just doesn't make sense to me, because I like the looks of the sweep ports so much.  Ugh.  I do think seeing what one looks like with a hinge, and checking how fragile it would be, is a reasonable approach.  What say you my good man?  I should add that even in the closed position, I believe I could knock them off with my super thumbs.

Edited by HardeeHarHar

The actual wood won't be fragile because it's blocky enough (like snapping a half matchstick say), and the 'real' hinges is the strongest fixing available I would think. So I suppose it comes down to whether you think it's worth the trouble. 

I have a 'that'll do'  moment at every stage of my build. And that will do :)

1 hour ago, OllieS said:

The actual wood won't be fragile because it's blocky enough (like snapping a half matchstick say), and the 'real' hinges is the strongest fixing available I would think. So I suppose it comes down to whether you think it's worth the trouble. 

I have a 'that'll do'  moment at every stage of my build. And that will do :)

I like your attitude @OllieS!  I believe I am going to build one lid with the hinge and give it further examination for ease of installation and appearance using bluetak.  It's an interesting question to me because the gun ports on the Granado don't appear to have lids, but the bow chase ports have doors, and the sweep ports and cabin lights have lids.  At least I think that is right, I will go look at the AotS reference book to make sure...

Good luck with those ports, Brian.

The hinge is very fine from memory.  I took the easy way out and kept them closed.  You can obviously see the ports from inboard.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

20 hours ago, Craigie65 said:

Good luck with those ports, Brian.

The hinge is very fine from memory.  I took the easy way out and kept them closed.  You can obviously see the ports from inboard.

Thanks for the support Craig / @Craigie65,  I'm not looking forward to making a lot of work, but will take a look at one or two tacked in place to see if the appearance makes it worth the extra sweat equity.  I looked at your Granado build log but it ends abruptly =(, would love to see some pictures of the finished model (I can't believe you dropped it down some stairs, but I believe someone else also dropped their Granado down stairs and it survived!).  

Best regards to all!

Brian

Edited by HardeeHarHar

9 minutes ago, Craigie65 said:

A bit dusty and in need of a wee bit of maintenance

It’s fantastic!!!

Hey HHH, I remember this one, and looking great as always.  I agree a test-look-see with them tacked on, one open and the other closed, is the way to go.  I myself would be inclined to add them.  But would need to see some pics before offering a final opinion. 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Hey Kev et al.,  I made an executive decision, and I am going to delay installation of sweep port lids until I have finished everything else.  I made one sweep port lid to the best of my ability, and it came out perfectly fine (see below) But drilling 36 0.5mm holes in the side to firmly install them is toooooo much and tooooo many holes in my opinion.  I don’t have a drill press (yet), and the Dremel wobbles, etc.  I will hand drill 0.7 mm holes for the pins on the channels and see how that goes, because I HAVE TO DO THAT.  But I like the look of the open sweep ports, so when all is done, I will simply glue the sweep port lids in the open position, without drilling any holes, and handle with extreme care.  Or not attach them.  I don’t want to close all those sweep ports I so carefully cut out of the boxwood hull planking.  Had I thought of it when I was cutting them out, I would have drilled the holes then, before doing all the installation of deck pumps, quarterdeck rails, cannons, etc.
For perspective:

hinge side

image.thumb.jpeg.16077574bc3fe996081a1f8d38f84d20.jpeg

Eye bolt on other side…

image.thumb.jpeg.d64c8bb202fae9efc9543c708f95ed14.jpeg
And a picture or two of the Secret Vessel in its berth on Roanoke Island.

image.thumb.jpeg.4854f642cac1a714603567eb0cf0505d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8f6519ef32503df87f38de242d948aef.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

On 2/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Craigie65 said:

I was lucky - it was early in the build and only a cracked stem and a few stern supports.

Did you elect not to mount all the swivel guns.  I just noticed some appear to be missing…I need to do those too, so I think I’ll be doing some of that work today….

That’s a great spot from a quick snap!

I had real trouble with the stanchions - I did not have a mini plane and found it difficult to get a decent octagon just by filing.  I always meant to go back and finish the other side.  Then Pegasus sailed in and I moved on.  I did add the swivels to her and the stanchions were a breeze with a veritas mini plane.  I still have the swivel guns, maybe one day!

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Brian your Secret Vessel looks right at home next to some good reading! 😁

I’ve been listening to the series, almost done with the fourth book, The Mauritius Command.  Really enjoying them all.

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 1 month later...

Work has been interrupting my woodwork!  However, my IBEX finger plane has begun its work on the main mast and bowsprit.  My new lathe comes out today and will be set up in the garage with a shop-vac to try and control the sawdust.  I’ve also begun the Sphinx, and will be starting a build log ASAP.  And….I scored an antique cabinet for storage of tools and equipment in my “office”.

image.thumb.jpeg.88850aad869bda68043e63dcec3ff146.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9df8b479a1bbfff99195ac5cbb979d08.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

5 hours ago, HardeeHarHar said:

However, my IBEX finger plane has begun its work on the main mast and bowsprit.  

I spot a couple boxwood octagonal sticks! Good job on jigging-up the square stock, Brian.

When the Proxxon arrives, keep the ShopVac nearby as you'll be generating lots of fine sawdust. Don't forget that the Proxxon chuck has a through hole that can accommodate up to about 10 mm diameter material; this becomes especially important when maintaining the central octagon and turning (sanding)the symmetrical round tapering for the spar ends.

Nice cabinet; I'll bet you can keep all kinds of things in those drawers...😬

Edited by hollowneck
spell correcting bs

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

HHH "you got some splainin' to do" (remember the reference?), first the antique drafting table and now the beautiful cabinet.  You definitely scored aces on those purchases, so how/where are you able to come up with such finds?  The Secret Vessel turned out fantastic and you found the perfect spot.  At first I was really worried about the placement then I saw the books were a "boxed set" which allowed my heart to start beating again.  Educate me on this finger plane thing you got.  Looks like something I would want since I learned that X-Acto no longer makes replacement blades for the mini-plane that came with their hobby kit I got 35 years ago (and before anybody starts, the blades for the mini-plane were disposable, just like a #11 blade, and not intended to be resharpened).  You talk about your poor eyesight and shaky hands yet you produce the tiny hinge side with eyelets that look fantastic.  Love seeing your progress, thank you. 

Take care and be safe.

kev

22 hours ago, AJohnson said:

What a great looking cabinet Brian 🤩

Work does get in the way, I know it has for me, barely visited the workbench for over a month now. Please do start a Sphinx log, I’ll be there! 😉

Thanks Amigo, I was pleased when I was able to get it out of the shipping crate and clean it up.  It had some 18th century dust and dirt in it!  Makes it “Authentic”.  I’ve been doing a lot of writing lately, which is very time consuming and frustrating occasionally.  I’ll start my Sphinx log soon, and will be delighted to have you there for help and encouragement.  I’ll do my best to make it worth your while!  Having you and the others on board is one of the best things about the forum, everyone is awesome!

22 hours ago, hollowneck said:

I spot a couple boxwood octagonal sticks! Good job on jigging-up the square stock, Brian.

When the Proxxon arrives, keep the ShopVac nearby as you'll be generating lots of fine sawdust. Don't forget that the Proxxon chuck has a through hole that can accommodate up to about 10 mm diameter material; this becomes especially important when maintaining the central octagon and turning (sanding)the symmetrical round tapering for the spar ends.

Nice cabinet; I'll bet you can keep all kinds of things in those drawers...😬

the Proxxon has been here, I just hadn’t had the time to spin her up….I made a ton of sawdust yesterday, but I am going slow while I learn what I am doing.  I did use the through hole for the bowsprit, and it is working like a charm as I taper it down from 8 to 5 mm.  I’ve starting “stashing” all sorts of stuff in my cabinet dood!  😉

18 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

HHH "you got some splainin' to do" (remember the reference?), first the antique drafting table and now the beautiful cabinet.  You definitely scored aces on those purchases, so how/where are you able to come up with such finds?  The Secret Vessel turned out fantastic and you found the perfect spot.  At first I was really worried about the placement then I saw the books were a "boxed set" which allowed my heart to start beating again.  Educate me on this finger plane thing you got.  Looks like something I would want since I learned that X-Acto no longer makes replacement blades for the mini-plane that came with their hobby kit I got 35 years ago (and before anybody starts, the blades for the mini-plane were disposable, just like a #11 blade, and not intended to be resharpened).  You talk about your poor eyesight and shaky hands yet you produce the tiny hinge side with eyelets that look fantastic.  Love seeing your progress, thank you. 

KEV!  Thanks for the continued kind words and support and interest.  My wife found the drafting table and the desk for my computer, and I found the cabinet at Industrial Artifacts.  They have a lot of nice stuff and the prices are negotiable!!!  That cabinet is in really good shape considering it’s age, and can hold a LOT of stash and stuff.  The finger plane is an IBEX flat soled plane that makes working on masts and yards a pleasure (making octagonal sections in particular).  My source for information that is shipworthy, @hollowneck, (aka GuildDiddy, GuildVater, ObeeRonKanobee, MasterRonCommander, etc) turned me on to IBEX and provides me with all my knowledge base.  He is full of it!  😜. And you are quite right about the box set, it would be quite dangerous if they weren’t “contained”.  I am listening to the series on Audible, and am in the middle of book 9 I think, Treason’s Harbor.  I’m addicted!  

Big shout out to everyone for stopping by and being so kind.  This community is incredible.

Congrats on the successful octagonal work. I had other planes and never could do much with them, the Ibex finger plane is a work of art and make shaping mast and yards so much more a pleasant task. it was harder to draw the 7-10-7 reference marks than it was doing the actual cutting, something I'm sure you experienced as well.

For what it's worth, the sweeps would only be open if in use and an actual sweep (oar) in them.  My approach was to make all those little dudes and simply pin them on, requiring only a small drill bit to make the hole and mark the location, a touch of glue and they are there for life. My captain is opposed to rowing so he was fine with this approach.  Granado is one of my earliest models and occupies a fond place in my memories, a lot of water past the bow since then.  Yours is looking great.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose