HMS Granado by HardeeHarHar - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Bomb Vessel

You have a very fine model coming together here Brian.  Especially like your photos of the stern, the colour combination is very pleasing to my eye!  Will be following along from here...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

That gave me good laugh Brian, the flying steps disappearing into the ether. The number of times that happens! 🤣 Of course the Admiral will find it one day stuck to a piece of furniture and hopefully not your dog! 
All looks worth the effort though, very neat. 👍

Edited by AJohnson

HHH, good call on using the plans as a template for placement, it all looks great.  I have a pair of tweezers that I've found to very handy that you may want to look into getting.  I don't know what they are called but instead of squeezing them the hold an item, you squeeze them to let go of it.  Obviously you open them up to get hold of the item, but once you do you don't have to continue to apply pressure to "maintain possession".  I found them to very handy in helping to prevent items zooming into the Twilight Zone never to be see again, especially when you finally get it secured with a regular pair and find you have to change your grip or what ever.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Well Kev, 

I’m embarrassed to admit I have a pair of those reverse tweezers, but never thought to use them!  It might have happened anyway, but without the force that occurred to turn a stair step into the ether.  No dog has appeared with it yet, so the Admiral is not unhappy with me at the moment.  However, it’s only a matter of time before a canine nose sniffs it out, based on previous experience.  If a dog shows up with it in its beard, I’ll use my reverse tweezers!!!  Hope all is well my good man 😀

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Soooooo, IT HAPPENED.  It was only just a matter of time.....and we all knew it was.  The Admiral came walking over to me at the "work/dining" table and dropped the missing stair step on the "table/workbench" and said "how did this get on the floor all the way over there" and pointed across the room (see evidentiary image below).  I did the best stooopid look I could muster (which comes easy), thereby implying I had no idea what "this" was or how it appeared "over there".  But we all know that doesn't work in this woman's navy.  The only explanation I can figure out is that FOR SURE a dog got it stuck in their beard, and then walked it on over to a place on the bare hardwood floor where it would stick out like a sore thumb to the Admiral, and dumped it there ON PURPOSE.  My wife even ended the discussion with "you have been working so hard on that boat, it sure is going to be a shame when a dog gets a part and gets sick, and my fist comes smashing down on it."  My wife has a relatively small fist, but you should see the size of her rage when evoked.  The Granado would be unable to defend itself....and all the super glue in the world would be useless.  However, she survived for another day.  More importantly, I have made some further progress, and haven't thrown parts around the room, so there is hope.  I finished the other set of stairs, and the quarterdeck rough tree rail, a considerable accomplishment in my mind.  I took some pictures of my silly paper template approach, and of the work so far (note that the quarterdeck barricade, windlass and bell are just dry fitted as I will install them later when the risk of dingage has decreased further).  I hope you like the pictures, and thanks for stopping by, I am going to go do something good to appease the Admiral if at all possible....

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.053cd23e66b40a5ce138491bf436171c.jpeg

IMG_1015.thumb.jpeg.22cead0a85f0de5c184a16f5a7f9b966.jpeg

IMG_1016.thumb.jpeg.f3a4d600ec819632dda60037f1f0dcf4.jpeg

IMG_1029.thumb.jpeg.8fbe962e5919ce79d791d656f3835690.jpegIMG_1030.thumb.jpeg.81e38e5870d29b838e25836621929225.jpeg

IMG_1031.thumb.jpeg.d1fb031339ca07d8f407bbbd096fae72.jpeg

IMG_1032.thumb.jpeg.bd1402d1b6d894ced3666e910deb38c4.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Brian,

Your Granado is looking great. Your color choices thus far are very tasty - in a word: "Sweet."

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, HardeeHarHar said:

However, she survived for another day. 

Presumably, you mean HMS Granado and not your wife.😳

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I just caught-up with earlier posts on your thread, Brian.

The Master Korabel kit looks like a fun and quite different project to tackle. From my experience, the MK kits are excellent as long as you can read Russian. Actually, their kits have well-photographed instructions and the included translated docs aren't perfect but still helpful. Most important, the materials and vessel designs are excellent, including clever building jigs you make for tricky assembly parts.

You'll like this one and you'll have a bunch of followers once you start a log for the Russki submarine - including me.

(...word of caution: don't wait too long though, the Ukrainian Navy has some new Naval drones coming...)

Ron

Hahahaha Ron!  The wife is essential equipment when you are an absent-minded scientist.  I am very happy that people are pleased with the color scheme so far.  I also appreciate your kind words, I definitely hold your work in the highest regards.  One of the things that drew me into ship building was after I finished my first build, it still looked like a ship and wasn't that hard on the eyes.  I will credit @Timmo for the color scheme inspiration, and I still wish that I had his talent with a paintbrush.  However, it appears to me that even I can't screw up his good idea that much.  The color scheme continues to be an issue on my mind at present, because I am starting to think I might stick with mostly very dark walnut/black on natural boxwood for the front end of the boat (i.e., the lower and upper checks, etc.), instead of going with the blue as per the instructions.  More on that latter, but if people have opinions, NOW IS THE TIME. 

As for the Secret Vessel, I do have a build log, but it doesn't seem to be drawing a lot of attention.  Perhaps it is due to the fact that it is a SECRET VESSEL, but I also think that there have been a couple of build logs for it recently....so it just isn't grabbing the attention that a nice kit deserves.  It is a nice kit with fairly good instructions and excellent graphics, and I bought it before Russia did the unthinkable, but I have to admit that if the Ukraine snuck into Durham, NC and blew up my build, I would probably be happy about it.  I am glad that the Ukraine is getting some new naval drones, and I hope they can make use of them effectively against the missile launchers that Russia has moved into the Black Sea.  I was in Russia not that long ago, to visit my niece who WAS living there, and it was wonderful.  Now, I don't want to go back until they exit the Ukraine and pay reparations. 

Best regards to all who have stopped by, and stay safe and healthy!

BT

HHH, excellent work you've done.  Regarding the color scheme, IMHO you chosen wisely (that's because I really like it) so go with your gut and don't second guess yourself.  Now as to the admiral and your furry little friend, it's a conspiracy I'm telling ya', they're all out to get us.  Simply because they don't understand how such frustration over a long period of time can be so enjoyable and rewarding.  They'll do anything they can to dissuade us from our fun.  Parts mysteriously disappearing and then reappearing in the most obvious place (one of which you searched more than twice), probably sabotaged the tweezers with some secret invisible time delayed mechanism.  Almost forgot to mention, sure looks like the paper template did the trick for your steps as they turned out great, good idea.    

Take care and be safe.

kev

Peanut6/Kev - I appreciate your kind comment about the color scheme, and your sage commentary about what to watch out for in the future.  I hadn't considered tweezer sabotage, but that would help explain it!  Once it flies off into the abandon In my shipyard, the Admiral can and will find the smallest part lying out of place.  Her observation abilities are without equal, and when combined with the noses of two schnauzers, no part of a model stands a chance.  I LOOKED EVERYWHERE for that stair step.  Several times.  On my hands and knees, with the magnifying helmet on, etc.  Phone light engaged.  Swept the area with my hands.  NO LUCK.  But within two days, a dog transported it across the room and ceremoniously dropped it where only my wife would notice it.  Most people would have just picked it up and said "what's this piece of junk on the floor", but my wife inspected it with enough care to note that it was no ordinary piece of junk.  Coincidence?  I think not (now that you mention it)!

Nice tone to your Granado, you’re definitely making it yours. I lose little parts all the time, even in my self contained room. I’ve resorted to sweeping the floor then searching in the dust pile I’ve swept up, that’s after crawling around on the floor with a flashlight. The things we do. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Quick update from the coast of NC:  The quarter badges have been painted and installed.  I had to file them down quite a lot, and they are having to sit somewhat low due to the limited space between the wale and the sheer rail.  Nevertheless,  it almost looks like it was intended to be like this.  If you look closely, the little man appears to be sitting on the wale, and the bird is entirely on the wale instead of half on and half off, which is more pleasing to my eye.  So, here is a case of something not being so bad after all.  As you can see, I am sticking with the color scheme used by @Timmo on his Granado.  Being one step ahead of myself again, now that they are installed, I just realized I still need to give them a quick coat of Dull-Cote (as recommended by the multi-talented @hollowneck), with the greatest of care not to be sloppy....which isn't easy when you are all thumbs with a paintbrush.  I should note that the last cabin light is a little wonky in its alignment on the starboard side for some unknown reason.  Alas!  The other side looks somewhat better (sigh).  Good thing you can't easily see them both at the same time, because it would look pretty darn obvious. 

I also framed (added the coaming) and painted the galley flue, and the black paint I used has worn off in such a fashion as to look fairly convincing in my naive opinion.  I also made the fore and aft jeer bits and stained them.  Making progress, and am getting closer to being ready to go and glue all the deck accoutrements in place with CA.  I still have a few more ladders and some other stuff to make though.IMG_1045.thumb.jpeg.224eb50111e5a57df08cb9cd9d986874.jpeg

762429199_IMG_1049(1).thumb.jpeg.f5b68c37bed69ec68d5b40fcbbd8f30d.jpeg

IMG_1064.thumb.jpeg.7ba5015ae048948b2ee0f417cf655f16.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

31 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I agree. It's quite striking!

Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragement!  It means a lot coming from the pros!

I like it.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Back on island time, with a paint brush in my hand.  Just about ready to finish attaching the stern details!

image.thumb.jpeg.06c225a97850148d7ffe171ba010c91b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

Wow those are tiny.

Yes they are, but armed and dangerous!

A lot of the steps in building a ship make me overly anxious, and I need to stop letting that happen so much.  It slows progress, and isn’t healthy.  For example, gluing these stern decorations was fairly nerve wracking for me for some reason.  I wasn’t sure if I should pin and glue them, or just rely on PVA or CA.  I didn’t want to ask opinions, as I ask a lot of questions already.  I opted for CA, which makes it a one time operation, unless you like to clean up the mess you make of things.  I think I got lucky on this one, and things turned out pretty good.  All in all, I believe I don’t have to undo anything, and that it looks fair enough!

image.thumb.jpeg.8fbce1483816ae2dbd515c0125376eae.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5487bcbaf957f0092affcee431626ba8.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.347a764ade325aa2e6c5177337b4cf52.jpeg

All that angst wasn’t needed I guess!!!  I’ll have to get my real camera out sometime soon and take some better photos…

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Those nicely painted stern figures are the BOMB…but there’s something fishy in that workshop.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly, but progress is being made.  Catheads in place and home-made tiller installed.  Will add the rest of the bow chaser gun port lids later, just one installed to ensure it doesn’t get fouled….C3DB5CF5-DA2C-4479-8005-F0AE2A9C82EA.thumb.jpeg.0c9fc6db6834e465ff1525045fa53937.jpeg9A1635EB-1D2A-4D66-92B7-65471CAB08AD.thumb.jpeg.be0bf375ef7177b6285ccd6075750474.jpeg

Really looking good overall and the tiller is pretty sharp, I like it, the slow and steady progress you're making is getting it done quite nicely.    More than I can say for myself, I can't seem to get it gear again - maybe I need a new throw-out bearing.

Edited by Peanut6
content

Take care and be safe.

kev

Looking good, Brian.

Ron

16 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Looking good, Brian.

Thanks Ron, I'm doing my best to not screw up a good kit (too much) 😃  

17 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

Really looking good overall and the tiller is pretty sharp, I like it, the slow and steady progress you're making is getting it done quite nicely.    More than I can say for myself, I can't seem to get it gear again - maybe I need a new throw-out bearing.

Thanks Kev, If the truth be told, the tiller in the picture is #2.  Numero uno suffered an undocumented structural failure during manufacture.  I manufactured the first one out of walnut, starting with some square stock.  I used a sanding wheel on my dremel to remove material in a hurry, then switched to files and sand paper, and got it down to the 1 mm taper as specified, when "IT BROKE".  I glued it back together but it was visually apparent.  My depression deepened.  After my despair was alleviated with repeated beverage intake, I then switched to basswood, which is probably not a great substitute.  I would have gone for using boxwood, but I didn't have thick enough stock and I didn't want to make a laminate to use.  So I had basswood, and I thought I would see if that would work.  Man, basswood is soft!  So removing the majority of the material was relatively easy, and it shaped nicely too.  I didn't push the diameter reduction as much with the second attempt.  When I had the shape of the tiller finished, I took a piece of 3mm walnut stock and fashioned the round cap for the tiller.  I drilled a wee-hole in the round cap, then increased it's diameter with increasing drill bit diameter, until I could delicately SHOVE the tiller into the cap.  I then painted the tiller matte black and the cap red, and glued it into the rudder.  I slid the rudder housing down the tiller and glued it into place, and called it a done deal.  By the way, I am using this Loctite Extra Time Control CA lately, and I don't hate it.  I have used it to clue the hinges to the quarterdeck panels doors, and to glue the hinges to the gun port lids, and it allows some fiddling before it sets, which is required often.  I miss seeing updates from you Kev, so if you need a new throw-out bearing, I will find you one and send it to you!

Oh, and if I put figurines on board my Granado, I think we would find that my tiller cap is about the size of a human head....so my Granado won't have any figurines on board/nobody's hands are going to slide off that tiller 😃

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 2 weeks later...

This is a hard hobby that requires a lot of patience and self control.  These are characteristics I am lacking.  I recently moved on to the cheeks and headrails of the build, and it was not easy.  Small parts, CA glue, and shaky old man hands are a bad mix.  I went so far as to craft the headrail by hand as the kit supplied part wasn't going to work very well with the configuration and space my build had provided.  When all was said and done, the part I made wasn't that different from the part supplied in the kit (which was not the way I had intended, sigh).  Looking back, I believe @Timmo had the right approach, and next build (if I get that far) I am going to work a little more on my techniques using a blade, lamination, etc.  Another thing I should note when it comes to "why does this have to be so hard"...is one should be careful when one is drilling pilot holes using itsy bitsy drill bits.  In drilling pilot hawserholes for the Hawsers, my itsy bitsy drill bit broke while imbedded in the wood.  This meant using a slightly less itsy bitsy drill bit to try to drill through/around/over it.  Of course, it broke in the side of the ship as well.  Being stubborn, i started shoving my new broaches and bigger drill bits in the "hole-that was filled with metal" and a miracle occurred, and a hole was made in the right spot, and of the right size.  I got the job done, more or less.  It needs a lot of touch up/clean up, and maybe some wipe on poly would help?!?  The quality of these pictures taken with my iPhone leave a lot to be desired too =(

IMG_1293.thumb.jpeg.b0aeefcaddd38b57544a317cc61c639b.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar
more whining...