HMS Granado by HardeeHarHar - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Bomb Vessel

Great work on the rigging detail!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Brian,

The quality of the model you are building is inversely proportional to the time, patience, modeling skills you put in to it. You're not slow !

It is a real pleasure to follow you log. I have a long way before to attempt your result.

François
-Granado 1756 - HM Bomb vessel - JoTiKa/Caldercraft - 1:64

4 hours ago, Jorez de Saint Nazaire said:

Brian,

The quality of the model you are building is inversely proportional to the time, patience, modeling skills you put in to it. You're not slow !

It is a real pleasure to follow you log. I have a long way before to attempt your result.

You are too kind, but I thank you for the positive feedback.  It is encouraging me, as I am trying to do my best while learning from others!  I am psyched to see your build log in progress too!

On 7/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, glbarlow said:

I’m in a never ending search for quality drill bits at the size we need them. They are worth the search.   

I wish I could find a source as complete as McMaster Carr, but at a little better price.  Looking at other suppliers such as DBW, which they claim are all US and/or German made bits, the prices are even higher so MC may be the best way to go.   Any sources you or anyone else can share would be appreciated.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Check out Grainger.  They have good stuff and their prices are usually decent.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

6 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Check out Grainger

Thanks Philip,  I forgot about Grainger.  We used to buy from them in the distant past but their prices are much higher than MC for some things.  I just checked now on bits and for example, a #80 high speed jobber bit from MC is $5.29 and from Grainger it is between $7 and $9.  

Allan    

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

HHH, what a fantastic job and you should be very proud.  If I didn't know you better, your comments about this being the slowest build in history and apologizing about the lack of progress could be subtle hints for me to get off my duff and finish up my little Jolly Boat.  You've got a beauty to match your other builds and look forward to seeing in its deserved place along with the others.  :cheers:

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

On 7/28/2023 at 10:52 PM, Peanut6 said:

HHH, what a fantastic job and you should be very proud.  If I didn't know you better, your comments about this being the slowest build in history and apologizing about the lack of progress could be subtle hints for me to get off my duff and finish up my little Jolly Boat.  You've got a beauty to match your other builds and look forward to seeing in its deserved place along with the others.  :cheers:

Brian is not the only one who would like to see your Jolly boat finished! :dancetl6:

On 7/28/2023 at 5:52 PM, Peanut6 said:

Thanks for the kind words Kev, and I hope things are going well with the family!  I certainly am looking forward to seeing the Jolly Boat all rigged and ready to sail, but can completely understand and appreciate it can only be done as time permits.  As you can tell, I am not the only one who is looking forward to you resuming your build log....

We are in Durham at present, so the Granado is gathering dust on Roanoke Island.  While I do have the Sphinx here to work on, work and home/lawn/garden care has been taking precedence over ship building (boooooooooo). 

Best regards to you and yours!

BT

I feel completely encouraged/pushed/urged/prodded/goaded/etc.  :blush:  I never ever thought that my endeavor with this very simplistic and unnoteworthy model could ever possibly be of any interest to anyone else and really only started by build log as a way of getting help for myself and possibly sharing my FUBAR's with others on what not to do.  Now that the Boss is progressing nicely after her stroke in early April, I suppose that maybe now is the time to re-prioritize my available time to getting this mess of mine finished up.    

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

18 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

I feel completely encouraged/pushed/urged/prodded/goaded/etc.  :blush:  I never ever thought that my endeavor with this very simplistic and unnoteworthy model could ever possibly be of any interest to anyone else and really only started by build log as a way of getting help for myself and possibly sharing my FUBAR's with others on what not to do.  Now that the Boss is progressing nicely after her stroke in early April, I suppose that maybe now is the time to re-prioritize my available time to getting this mess of mine finished up.    

It's not just the model my good man, it's the model maker too.  We missed both, FUBAR's and all.  It's all your fault for being such a good community member that we noticed your extended absence.  I am super glad that the Boss has recovered so nicely that you may be able to spend some time with the build; hopefully, it will make you feel good too!

• 2 months later...

So, I may have stalled a bit due to overwhelming work and book commitments, and a little bout with Covid (1st timer) thanks to the generosity of my wife.  However, I am still doing some work on the Granado as I can, just at my usual snails pace.  I still need to oil up the mizen mast with some Danish Oil, but I am still struggling with whether I should run rigging lines through the blocks on the main top and mizzen top, and their cross trees, etc. and have them coiled up prior to gluing the masts in place and doing the stays and ratlines.  In the past, I have thought long and hard about rigging (albeit on the Jolly Boat, hah hah hah), and it paid off in the end I believe.  But the rigging on the Granado is at another level, and I don't want to have it be more complicated because I didn't do something in the best order possible.  Oh well, I can only learn by trying, right gang?!?  Thanks for stopping by and having a look.  Drop a comment or suggestion if you have a mind to do so, and good luck in all your endeavors.IMG_2142.thumb.jpeg.cfca6c27a5c6bfa5a7ada357294880d2.jpeg

Hi Brian, glad to see you back, I always enjoy your work.  Keep moving even if it at a snails pace, your Granado is looking great my friend.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Brian,

Glad to see that you're back. I understand that the instructions are not so clear for the rigging. I discover Danish oil. How do you explain these choice ?

François
-Granado 1756 - HM Bomb vessel - JoTiKa/Caldercraft - 1:64

On 10/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, Jorez de Saint Nazaire said:

Brian,

Glad to see that you're back. I understand that the instructions are not so clear for the rigging. I discover Danish oil. How do you explain these choice ?

Hey Francois @Jorez de Saint Nazaire,

I think the instructions are fairly good for the rigging on the Granado, but I just haven't done much of it, so I don't know how best to accomplish what needs to be done.  I decided to use light or natural Danish Oil for the boxwood I am using on my Granado based on the advice I received from a talented ship modeler named Tomasz Alexsinski.  It is simple, and adds a nice deep satin finish that highlights the details of the wood, and as it dries it hardens and darkens just a little giving the wood a very nice amber tone.  You just apply it evenly and allow it to soak in and dry over 24 to 48 hours.  You don't want to repeat application too much because it will not dry for a long time and will be a sticky mess (trust me =).  I also used a medium Danish Oil on the Secret Vessel and I thought it came out very nice on that model.  It penetrated evenly and gave the wood a very nice appearance with a slight shine/depth to it.  I am horrible with wood stains, and Danish Oil has made me look like I know what I am doing to a limited extent....Hope that helps explain my choice.

Best regards, Francois

On 10/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, AJohnson said:

Hi Brian, lovely to see some progress on your Granado. Good luck with the rigging. Regarding rigging, I think the main thing is to make sure the blocks are “free” for thread to run through. I poke a pin through each block hole first to make sure a thread can follow. 

Heyya Andrew @AJohnson!

Truth be known, I am reaming all of the blocks and deadeyes as much as I think is reasonable using my set of jeweler's broaches (see link below).  Do you have a set of these amazing tools?  I consider them to be one of my best purchases, they are amazing at opening up holes, etc.  I have one set that are tapered and kind of square in shape, and a set that is more oval with a cutting edge running down each broach.  They sure have come in handy for many applications.  Just curious, do you use a needle threading tool when rigging, or do you just use glue to make the line rigid, or a combo?  Ugh, I have so much to learn!

Hope all is well!

https://www.amazon.com/Broach-Set-Piece-BRO-174-00/dp/B005NJ1SYA/ref=asc_df_B005NJ1SYA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416712520007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6552818762143547628&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009749&hvtargid=pla-869671558750&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=93357453745&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416712520007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6552818762143547628&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009749&hvtargid=pla-869671558750

Edited by HardeeHarHar

On 10/9/2023 at 3:44 PM, HardeeHarHar said:

Heyya Andrew @AJohnson!

Truth be known, I am reaming all of the blocks and deadeyes as much as I think is reasonable using my set of jeweler's broaches (see link below).  Do you have a set of these amazing tools?  I consider them to be one of my best purchases, they are amazing at opening up holes, etc.  I have one set that are tapered and kind of square in shape, and a set that is more oval with a cutting edge running down each broach.  They sure have come in handy for many applications.  Just curious, do you use a needle threading tool when rigging, or do you just use glue to make the line rigid, or a combo?  Ugh, I have so much to learn!

Hope all is well!

https://www.amazon.com/Broach-Set-Piece-BRO-174-00/dp/B005NJ1SYA/ref=asc_df_B005NJ1SYA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416712520007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6552818762143547628&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009749&hvtargid=pla-869671558750&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=93357453745&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416712520007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6552818762143547628&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009749&hvtargid=pla-869671558750

Hi Brian,

Missed this, I've been on a holiday in Norfolk this last week.  No I don't have a broach set, but interested to see those, they might be a new purchase soon!  As for rigging, yeah I use a combination of stiffening the tread with glue, or a needle, but I don't have hard and fast rules on that.