Ship's launch kits for 18th century ships - 1/60 or 1/64

peterbrowne

Are there any 1/60 or 1/64  wooden ship's launch kits for 18th century ships?  In particular I'm at the research stage for a possible Amati 1/60 Bounty build, wanting to replace the cast metal offering.  Though I may well go with the Caldercraft kit, at least then I would have a consistency of 1/64 scale with other ships from that brand and others...

If there aren't any kits, are there any guides for making these from scratch?

Edited by peterbrowne

The Caldercraft ones build up nicely and for reasonable cost. They have nice selection of sizes too. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

9 hours ago, peterbrowne said:

I was given one of these kits and started to build it.  Ended up throwing it out.  Not well made and the wood is cheap.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Scratch building ship’s boats look intimidating, but once you get into them, they are not bad.

Wolfram Zu Mondfeld’s “Historic Ship Models” has a great explanation of the process.  I scratch built mine (out of card) for my last two models and they came out great, much better than what I have seen in any kit that I have had.  I will be making a full set for my Victory as well.

Line drawings for the ship’s boats for English vessels can be found in the Anatomy Of The Ship series books for vessels of that time period.  I used the ones out of the one for the Victory and the Bellona.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 2:18 AM, James H said:

There will be a 1:64 range available from Vanguard Models in the near future.

I'm building the prototypes very shortly.

Hi James,

I'm in the same situation as Peter, looking for launch boats in 1:64 scale for an Amati Fly kit. Was wondering about the status of the vanguard kits?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 2:26 AM, mehdi.bj19 said:

Hi James,

I'm in the same situation as Peter, looking for launch boats in 1:64 scale for an Amati Fly kit. Was wondering about the status of the vanguard kits?

The 1/64 boats are now on the Vanguard website.