HMS Winchelsea 1:48 by Vlad

Hi folks, 

Im trying to catch up with rest of the bunch throughout winterly snowy evenings on this magnificent project, hopefully learn soke new skills and back myself up of Chucks and yours guidances photos etc. Still nervously awaiting package with 1234 parts from overseas but already started as friend made for me the bulkheads on cnc. He was so nice even marked letters and so on...And thats a ton of pressure he put off my chest. Its poplar, extremely light and so im pretty nervous how it be around those tiny wooden walls...i have big build behind me from scratch without any guidance nor buildijg lan now trying to learn propper stuff if up to it. Thanks for any comment like etc so ...i cant go on further  at this point :))  . Central frame glued. ! So i wish her luck!  hope everyone healthy and already arranging christmas tree with taking sips of favorite drinks. I do though :) V. 

20201212_110157.jpg

20201211_114235.jpg

Well that is a great start.  Hopefully you will get those parts soon.  Shipping is a mess right now just about everywhere.

Welcome to the group.

You have a good friend there, to do those parts for you!

Good luck and happy modelling!😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

45 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

You have a good friend there, to do those parts for you!

Good luck and happy modelling!😉

Thanks Edward & folks, well that friendship  involved money too :) as there is no free lunch obviously :)) but part of the decision were many leftovers from previous work. also one packge of planking suff that was lost in shipping and arrived half a year later :) 

Oh how I wish I had used lighter plywood! You will congratulate yourself when it comes time to fair the 27 bulkheads and bow formers! It looks like you are off to a great start! Wait until your chapter parts arrive...you'll see the quality and care that went into this project. 

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

14 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Oh how I wish I had used lighter plywood! You will congratulate yourself when it comes time to fair the 27 bulkheads and bow formers! It looks like you are off to a great start! Wait until your chapter parts arrive...you'll see the quality and care that went into this project. 

good point about sanding Ron,  thank you. 

Hello all, alreadyvRun into first deadlock folks. :(((seems  i enjoyed it prematurely, as i measured center board and bulkhears and all is cut smaller than original exactly 96 % of 100 size:( . im in despair as i see no window here than just to get it cut again , ican manage part 1 ( but curvature of stern would be problem i guess) and i ordered onl part one and three i intend to make part 2 and 4 myself. but that would be always struggle and i am affraid windows would not fit there , maybe ornametation wouldnt be a problem. 

as boat progresses I guess there wont be much hassle as its few per cent so it makes 3 mm on 15 mm lenght which is quite a lot i guess...i would have to rub down even laster parts which does not make a sense to me to star this wrong...what do you think? 

Vlad, I feel for you! I'm not all that experienced but if it were me, I would do it again. I don't say it lightly as money is always tight for me it seems. If you were to make the entire kit from scratch, I would say 'who cares' as its like you said..a couple mm less all around won't matter. Since you have parts coming at full scale, I wouldn't want to have to sand them down as they are just perfect coming from Syren. Perhaps you could save the bulkheads for another frigate or a wee bit smaller, second Winchelsea :)

4 minutes ago, Ron Burns said:

Vlad, I feel for you! I'm not all that experienced but if it were me, I would do it again. I don't say it lightly as money is always tight for me it seems. If you were to make the entire kit from scratch, I would say 'who cares' as its like you said..a couple mm less all around won't matter. Since you have parts coming at full scale, I wouldn't want to have to sand them down as they are just perfect coming from Syren. Perhaps you could save the bulkheads for another frigate or a wee bit smaller, second Winchelsea :)

thanks for opinion Ron im on that side of decision too so far, but i will maybe wait untill parts arrived so...well..arrrgh:) 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
typo

Sorry to hear about the off measurements.  At least you caught it before you got too far into the build, so although you are out some money the feeling of all those lost days, weeks, or even months doesn't have the same demoralizing effect.

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

FinishedPhantom New York Pilot Boat

Well I cooled down a bit i remember there is stuff with enlargening of  plans in softwares etc... I measured quarter inch on  not sure it might be calibration staff or what, but 1/4" looks 0.68 in 100 % not 0.63 as should so im a bit relieved i can have it ok. . Stem length as on picture is 14.4 cm = 5.7 inch. So if that measure is correct is all good.:)  If should be longer than i know i  am off...

:) so far hope lasts

20201213_191813.jpg

20201213_191337.jpg

Typo

...to add to confusion ---- im definitely not drawing any conclusion. using linux so i installed adobe acrobat  there to compare ubuntu simple reader  there and measures at 100per cent were even more off some 17 cm ?.?  :/// woohoo. I just hope i am not making some trivial mistake omg... I think i will wait for Chuck to provide center block sternpost measure as i pictured...shoul i watch it in some vector program as corel or... im not that engineering able though... so I know what program is ok LOL....

i think i figured it out though :(

its not usual to get 6.3 or 6.5 mm ply here so i settled  on 6 mm thickness ( which they are) and i guess he set up measures exactly for 6 mm so it shrinked the plan ratio  accordingly littel bit which resulted those  96 percent. makes sense to me cant imagine how else it could have happened...im on verge to continue anyway with the hope windows will fit and with  sigh i will have to extra rasp off the parts here and there. i will have dificulty to find out even 6.5 ply which can be on other hand even bigger which is trouble. at the point of skeleton the crucial part is gallery and stern side so well...i cant imagine making mine bulkheads after cutty in 1.24 its auch relief to follow nice guidance anyway... 

add

19 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Well I cooled down a bit i remember there is stuff with enlargening of  plans in softwares etc... I measured quarter inch on  not sure it might be calibration staff or what, but 1/4" looks 0.68 in 100 % not 0.63 as should so im a bit relieved i can have it ok. . Stem length as on picture is 14.4 cm = 5.7 inch. So if that measure is correct is all good.:)  If should be longer than i know i  am off...

20201213_191813.jpg

20201213_191337.jpg

@Chuck  Chuck, could I ask please if you can confirm if this measure is correct or should be more? . many thanks its 5.7 inch which gives me 96  percent of plan im affraid thats the trouble. Vlad 

Its really hard for me to tell with certainty.  Best to wait for the parts to arrive and do a comparison to see if the printout is correct.

Chuck.

Vlad, I measured mine with a digital Vernier caliper and it comes to 14.19mm but that doesn't account for a bit of laser char removal, etc. 

I still have my original scrap sheets outside of my building where I could get you a measurement from the cutout if needed. Let me know before they become snow covered :)  

3 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Vlad, I measured mine with a digital Vernier caliper and it comes to 14.19mm but that doesn't account for a bit of laser char removal, etc. 

I still have my original scrap sheets outside of my building where I could get you a measurement from the cutout if needed. Let me know before they become snow covered :)  

Ron thank you ! much appreciated. it seems OK. anyway even if not,  game is on! already started.  Chucks plan is so precise i never come across such skeleton, as bulkheads are so close its faboulous. i admire folks who make own bulkheads as i made few myself but this was piece of cake so precise. i had to push them down by hammer. ...

I started guys. So happy back in modeling, missed it. Decided to attach keel later when arrives. Doesnt bother me at this point i can fair hull and insert those pieces of wood between upper walls. I think i cut off a bit more around stern post than it should so i will check it when sternpost arrived. Plenty to work meanwhile. Plan and lasercut is so precise. If i struggle wuth something ill ask. Thank you vlad.  

20201214_223220.jpg

20201214_223213.jpg

20201214_211234.jpg

20201214_200008.jpg

On 12/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

20201213_191813.jpg

20201213_191337.jpg

Vlad, try measuring across all ten 1/4” marks instead of just one.  It will reduce your measurement error by a factor of ten.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Hi guys, sanding hull in one go. 

As I feared those sticks or upper walls quite a lot, to find out a way not to break them. I found my way apparently as i used mirroring gap between them - leftovers from laser cut wastage. Just clipped them up, viola. I would not have dared to sand them without that support. i was able to put some pressure on sanding blocks without any fear. just to move sandpaper vertically, no horizontally. used no60 and no 120.... and you were right poplar worked like a charm. i thanked for it massively. Im worn out like a... but happy i hate this tedious work. I went skowly and checked sandings properly  with strip of wood. Tomorrow making proper standing board and gluing together those beasts so they wont be so fragile hopefully anymore. Point is? Not one broken bone so far! :) from there I am on track... just waiting for the parts to arrive so i can  continue :) look at my horrible instalments to fix her so she didnt wobble.:)) those squareholes worked - vice, some wooden block...:)) 

20201216_135731.jpg

20201216_154158.jpg

20201216_151754.jpg

20201216_154212.jpg

20201216_163922.jpg

20201216_142201.jpg

20201216_155010.jpg

20201216_154206.jpg

20201215_172335.jpg

20201216_135900.jpg

20201216_142201.jpg

20201216_143701.jpg

20201216_151228.jpg

Add

Great idea using the scrap to support the uprights. Looks like you have a great space to work too. I do my building in the dining room and I'm always 2 mm away from crucifixion by my wife :)

Edited by Ron Burns

11 minutes ago, Ron Burns said:

Great idea using the scrap to support the uprights. Looks like you have a great space to work too. I do my building in the dining room and I'm always 2 mm away from crucifixion by my wife :)

oh yes thats proper workshop:) grandpa worked there father snd son now:) there is no heating though.  but good excercise with hand planer and i end up wearing tshirt :)) well, sanding dust cannot go to room. i feel for you but ahe will go to my room as well as i like working on the desk. and i made 1:24 cutty sark last year halfly in my room sitting on carpet. there was swearing around but they got used to it. this time they asked why i am going downstairs with her - i just answered - sanding:D 

add

Good day, continued today. Happily took winnie to my room upstairs.  I observed few of folks winnies and must say they are all being worked beautifuly. Day two chapter one. I did few small but important revisions and repairments from yesterday. Firstly i built swiftly  temporary stand out of styren so i could turn skeleton back to repair unglued rabbet linem. I cut, cleaned and glued up small piece of rabbet that unglued, attached sgernpost rabbet, and faired hull here and there. Than i started with fastening bulwarks extentions. Took it slow. First two three are a bit scoopy though..:/ :) Like that work anyway it is pretty  relaxing doing it while listening to music. I plan to continue tomorrow tith bottom starboard side and than building up upper line. Using only handsaw and sandpaper and pencil so far. Enjoy. As far as I didnt fair all middle extentions being dark brown still they are absolutely flat so i think they are ok like this.   :)V. 

20201217_111121.jpg

20201217_174928.jpg

20201217_142808.jpg

20201217_120554.jpg

20201217_121058.jpg

20201217_111554.jpg

20201216_190116.jpg

20201217_120951.jpg

20201217_120144.jpg

20201217_110833.jpg

20201217_113520.jpg

20201217_182420.jpg

20201217_163332.jpg

7 hours ago, MartinB said:

But, after all that work, a ships lines begin to appear.

Looking just like they are supposed to.

Keep it going Vlad.

Cheers

Martin.

Hi Martin, yes Im happy working again. cant wait to see those galleries , but i hope i wont spoil planking im novice in that. but Chucks and others instructions are top notch im so glad i got into this. are you building something yourself now?