Proxon mini vice

I bought one when I started my first build and was very disappointed with it. Unless you are attaching it to a very smooth surface, such as glass, it does not stay in place well at all. Even if you use a glass surface it can come undone at most inappropriate times, such as what you are working on ending up on the floor. Better to get a small vice that you can bolt or clamp to your work top.

Bob

You can't go too far wrong for twenty-one bucks at Lowe's or the equivalent. https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-3-in-Cast-Iron-Clamp-on-Vise/1003168304?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-106-_-clampsandvises-_-1003168304-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1CdIcRalCVC77wuXWEehSCPYcPtaMqs88v8737EcXADBIyQoZlRvhBoCRc8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

coming soon

Bessey vacuum base vise at thirty bucks: https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-BVVB-Vacuum-Base-Vise/dp/B0057PUR88/ref=asc_df_B0057PUR88/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312322422714&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1449783815818756065&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032112&hvtargid=pla-435893379511&psc=1

91eGLqx1BhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Vost vacuum vise for twenty-five bucks at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yost-2-75-in-Multi-Angle-Pivoting-Vacuum-Vise-V-275/205583839?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA-71700000034127224-58700003933021546-92700031755124844&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1BvgCGn1dN3GZDH5JwUpr035zxhEBxvih7Arp1UiAVLuoxi1oVqnihoCAH4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

yost-specialty-hand-tools-v-275-64

Top quality Grobet Vacu Vise jeweler's vise for thiry-five bucks: https://www.penntoolco.com/grobet-usa-vacu-vise-with-swivel-base-58103/?matchtype=&network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=744568461&adgroup=pla-53104812259&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1GDETTlOtNNzUF14rtxs9IEImktpr5p8qzDhKjKj83I0-lcarVGBUxoCpIYQAvD_BwE

Grobet USA Vacu Vise with Swivel Base - 58103

Proxxon suction base vise at forty-five bucks at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-Precision-Vise-FMS-75-28602/203459683

Proxxon FMS 75 Multi-Angle Precision Bench Vice With Suction Base 28602 - TV175

I fail to see what's so special about Proxxon tools. They do have things others don't and sometimes they are available in areas where other options aren't, but they seem quite overpriced in my humble opinion. This appears to often be the case with any retailer who targets the hobbyist market. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

15 hours ago, clogger said:

Stanley 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base 83-069M

Wow! That's sweet! A cast iron mini-patternmaker's vise. That one's on my Christmas-to-me list! Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Bob Cleek

Thanks, I have ordered one and wonder how I survived so long without this tool.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I've got the blue Lowes in my shed for small work, and the yellow Stanley in my study.

The Stanley is the one to go for because of it's flexibility and reasonable build quality.

The ball joint on mine (bought 7 yrs ago) was tight and rough so I took some Emery cloth to the ball and that fixed it. The Stanley comes with plastic soft jaws and the metal jaws have a groove running the length of the jaw and also a groove at right angles to the first in the centre of the jaw...both grooves are very useful for gripping cylindrical objects. It clamps quickly onto a desk surface (....the Stanley clamping surfaces are plastic covered to protect the desk).

For £20 the Stanley is good value ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HBS0I0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Richard

When I woke up this morning I did not feel the need to buy a vice. After reading this post I just ordered the Stanley 360.

Lesson learned; stay away from this section of the forum 😀.

Peter

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

49 minutes ago, leclaire said:

... yellow color is bright enough to stand out so the "boss" is sure to notice something is amiss.

That is what blue paint is for ...

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Great advice on the Stanley vise.  I will have to buy one of these too.  There are some excellent videos on these on the internet showing all the different functions and capabilities.  The GRS in one of the previous posts is also a great vise.  Their stuff is pretty pricey but always excellent well made tooling.

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

On 12/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, biltut said:

Great advice on the Stanley vise.

Mine arrived today. I am totally satisfied with the solid construction and the range of the movement. I probably won't use it for blacksmith-style jobs but it really does look a lot tougher than I expected.

Glad I got it.

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Bruce,

Mine arrived today. I am totally satisfied with the solid construction and the range of the movement. I probably won't use it for blacksmith-stle jobs but it really does look a lot tougher than I expected.

Yes, it's a good value buy. Reminds me of when products did what they said on the tin.

Agreed, I wouldn't use it to file/saw 1" steel bar but 1/4" sized then it's fine. But it really comes in to it's own for fettling small items that need to be held at weird angles. And it deploys very quickly.

I made the mistake of using it as a soldering jig whilst the soft jaws were in place...well, plastic and soldering irons don't mix too good 😉 I'll get round to ordering  new jaws some day soon.

Enjoy using your new acquisition.

Richard

Be gentle with the clamping force though, if overtightened - the guide rods will bend, and jaws would not be parallel anymore, vice will start to wobble. Don't ask me how I know :) Great value for money anyway!  

1 minute ago, Mike Y said:

Don't ask me how I know

... and don't ask me why I believe you.

Thanks!

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I realize reading these kind of topics on tools that buying a good tool is not so easy. Experience is needed to build a model ship, experience is also needed to buy tool. Is it wasting money to buy cheap tool which will not last for years? Of course, the answer is yes, but the answer can also be yes for someone at his first model who does not know if he will like this hobby or not. There are a lot of difference between a good tool and a cheap tool, and price is not only the difference.

I certainly cannot argue about buying high quality tools but I also remember trying to outfit a shop as a newlywed on a beginning engineering salary.  In that case, it was either do without or buy what I could afford.  Some, but not all of which I have later replaced.

As a 45 year NRG member I fully support and have contributed to the organization’s research mission through articles, book reviews, and letters that I have published in the Journal over the years.  I believe that support of this mission includes encouraging others to move beyond building tried and true HMS Victory or USS Constitution models by tackling more adventurous projects.

If we promote the message that the only way to move beyond a kit subject is to set up a shop full of top of the line tools the barrier for expanding horizons will be too high for many aspiring modelers.  While a name brand swiveling base/ rotating head vice may be nice to have, a Harbor Freight model serves the same purpose.  With dimishing supplies of cut-to-size specialtized lumber, milling our own will become the norm.  A high quality 14in bandsaw sells for about $1500 plus freight, specialized blades, etc; more than many may be willing to pay.

Harold Hahn built his remarkable models with an 8in table saw and Sears hollow ground veneer blades.  While not ideal, tools like this can still produce outstanding models.

Roger

4 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Harold Hahn built his remarkable models with an 8in table saw and Sears hollow ground veneer blades.  While not ideal, tools like this can still produce outstanding models.

Roger

There's the old saying that "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."  A lot of truth in that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/22/2020 at 4:21 AM, Diver said:

I am thinking of purchasing the Proxon mini vice with the suction cup base.  Do any members have experience with this product,  or recommendations for a similar product.  Thanks in advance.  Bob

Hello Bob,

I have the one with the side holder (for holding the vice to the table)

and very pleased with this precise tool :) 

Best regards,

Michael.

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Proxxon vise with the table clamp and I really like it, the ball clamp lets you adjust the position of the jaws.  I removed the table clamp (it slides out from the base) and mounted it directly to my workbench (it has holes to mount it with screws). 

proxxon vise.png

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat