It's the little things...

sziggy8

Just started my first build of the Le Cerf.  Ambitious, I know, but I am determined to take my time, learn, and create something beautiful and lasting.  I really do not want to become a ship building "statistic". I have made a few models in the past (mostly airplane and cars), read a reasonable amount about ship building and am ready to go.  I keep buying tools with the hope that when I hit a obstacle that I will have the right tools to keep going and not lose momentum.  This has largely been unsuccessful..lol.  My latest speedbump seem simple, but is actually hard to find a direct answer to.  I am trying to pin my first plank onto the hull.  Exactly what tool do I need and what size (type) brass vs. steel do I need hold my first planks in place?  Thanks in advance for any help.  I am very excited to begin this journey.  

35 minutes ago, sziggy8 said:

Exactly what tool do I need and what size (type) brass vs. steel do I need

There is no exact answer to this question, since it depends in part on what a modeler's preferred planking technique is. In any case, though, pins are not meant to be permanent, but only to hold the plank in place while the glue sets. Brass nails can do the job and are inexpensive (you can buy them from Model Expo, as one possible source, and some modelers like to use the nail push tool shown on the same page), but there are other ways to do the job. I use regular ol' bulletin board push pins (the kind with the plastic head), a tack hammer, and pre-drilled pilot holes. Some modelers prefer to use no pins at all and instead use planking clamps. Try one method and see if it suits you.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The best thing you can do so you don't become a statistic would be to put aside the kit you are working on and get a simple kit meant to teach modeling techniques.  You are already aware of the issue of how many walk away from first builds that are too complicated - why do you want to go down that road?  Do a search of this site for beginner kits - check them out and use the very good instructions in these kits along with build logs here to guide you.   

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

What you need to do is learn how such models are built in general, and then apply those skills to this (or any) model. Take the time to read the excellent planking tutorials here on MSW. Make a few mockups and practice the techniques described. When you understand the skill, apply it to your model. Do not expect a magic tool to replace knowledge, skill, and patience.

The technique you are trying is akin to trying to learn to play trumpet by memorizing all the finger combinations to a specific tune, rather than studying music theory and learning how the trumpet actually works. Once you master those, you can play all sorts of songs. Otherwise you'll bang your head against the wall trying to learn one song without ever really understanding the instrument.

Not trying to put you off Le Cerf, but if you do decide to do what Kurt suggests and go for a simpler model first, then go back to Le Cerf, there are plenty of models available that give a gentle lead-in and enable you to build your skills to be ready for the more complicated builds - see

Whichever way you choose to go, make sure you start a build log - it's the best way to get help and advice as you go along. And ask lots of questions, just as you already have. The people here are very friendly and helpful and can often give you assistance that helps you overcome an obstacle you've encountered without your having to "re-invent the wheel".

Instructions on starting a build log are here:

And have fun with it!

Steven

A

Edited by Louie da fly

Welcome to MSW.  I can't add to what the others have said but only say.... they gave excellent advice.  When you start the Ballahoo, do a log and above all, enjoy the process from start to finish.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No matter the model, one of the best pieces of advice given above is study the planking tutorials.  There are many ways to incorrectly plank the model, but only a few ways that will yield excellent  results.  You will see that there is no need for pins or nails at all.  At a scale of 1:64, the treenails (best if made of bamboo or some other wood, not metal) would only be about 0.015 to 0.017" diameter thus very difficult to make and to see no matter the material.   

Looking forward to stopping in on your build log!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I use two types myself. Tiny brass nails that I attach using a push stick (the nail fits in the end of the tool and you place it against the plank and push and it both holds and pushes the nail in). This is only for the under later of planking (usually soft limewood of similar). The pusher isn't neccessary but it hurts much less pushing them in.

Since a picture speaks more than a thousand words here is the first layer of planking going on the Bounty (these pins come with the kit and can be bought separately from Caldercraft.

IMG_0872 (2) (640x496).jpg

For the outside planking I tend to use slightly larger nails with those large plastic colourful sections to hold on to. These do not (ever) get pushed into the planks but get pushed into the underlayer of planking with the plastic top pushed into the plank I am trying to hold.

And another picture to show better what is being said..

IMG_1728.jpg

Edited by Matrim