Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/48 scale - POB

Actually, that's the way I do it.  It's just I keep hearing that you can 'edge bend' planks but I could never get it to work. 

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ken:

If it is square stock, you can edge bend it, but on something that is much wider than it is thick, you would have to laminate several pieces of square stock to get the full width you need. You can do that, but short of filling and painting, there is really no way to make it look like it is all one piece. I think the slight amount of work involved in cutting it out of a sheet is really worth it to get the look you want.

Russ

Gerty:

Thanks. I am hopeful of getting back to the shop at some point this month. Hopeful.

Russ

Same here I hope ! :)

Gerty:

Thanks. I am hopeful of getting back to the shop at some point this month. Hopeful.

Russ

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have finally made some time to get some work done. :)

My plan is to paint the inside of the bulwarks and the margin plank and then install the deck planking which will be left natural. By doing it this way, I am avoiding the need for masking to get that clean edge between painted and natural surfaces. I have painted the inside of the bulwarks and now I have begun laying the deck planking.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

deck planking bow.jpg

deck planking stern.jpg

deck planking complete close.jpg

deck planking progress.jpg

deck planking complete aft.jpg

deck planking bow complete.jpg

Edited by russ

I'm happy to see that you got some time in the workshop, Russ. Nicely planned out and execution looking good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

Thanks. I am fairly happy with the deck planking so far.

Russ

Russ,

Glad to see you have gotten time to get back to the shop, also glad to see you back. Your off to a good start. Keep the pictures coming, always enjoy watching and learning from you. I still have all the stuff you send me about the Constitution.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hi Russ -- As always your work offers lots for us novices to study.  What's the advantage to laying single planks the entire length?  I've seen references to doing that as a matter of preference, but is there an historical reason as well?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for all the kind words, Joe, Jay, and Martin.

Martin, I am only laying the center deck planks full length. This will be the area in the way of the hatches and cabin trunk. There are no seams there except where the planks run into hatch coamings. I had thought about laying the deck planks so as to create openings for the hatches and cabin trunk, but that can be rather difficult if you do not get the butt ends of the planks lined up EXACTLY on the line, otherwise you end up with gaps between the plank ends and the hatch coaming. I prefer to lay all the deck planks before installing hatches etc. This makes it easier to scrape the deck planks to get a really smooth surface.

Once I get outside the hatches, I will lay scale length planks. The butt ends are already layed out on the plan and I will be able to mark them accurately based on that plan.

One advantage to laying at least one full length plank on this model's deck is that I was able to get it lined up right on the penciled centerline on the false deck. Once that was done, all the other planks will line up properly. Since this model's hull is only about 10 inches on deck, this is not that difficult to do.

By the by, the deck planking is from Bluejacket. It is really nice material.

Russ

Russ, nice to see you back and back at the building! 

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Great to see this lady back Russ; and ....to see you back also :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

John and Adam, thanks for the kind words. Getting some work done felt good. Now let's see if I can find some more time this evening. :)

Russ

Russ great to see you back at work on this fine model.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks for looking in. With some luck, there will be more progress soon. :)

Russ

Russ,

I was noticing the first picture you posted of the Schooner build.  I was wondering if you could build or draw a set of small scale frames of a Covacevich Biloxi lugger that i could use to build a "real" life size boat with.  There are absolutely no plans, drawings or anything that i know of to try and build one of these beautiful craft.  I watched them all of my childhood and into my early 20's growing up in Biloxi.  I have over the years talked with other "Lugger Heads", ha! And we are all of the same opinion, " luckily find one and restore it" but that is getting harder to do.  The one's of us that are now in our mid to late 40's have had a little life experiance now and just think, maybe, hopefully build one! There are so many, the Madame Toussaint, Starry Night, Mystic and lots more.  I personally like the style of "Dolores Catherine" in about a 45 to 50 foot length.  So i'm thinking if I had some (whatever) scale frames to work from, I could do the math and make them to the scale I need to build a full size one.  By the way great work on your models, they bring back some "full" size memories!

Kind Regards,

Greg

Greg:

We can talk about it and see what we can come up with. Send me a PM and we can exchange contact information privately.

Russ

I noticed this little gem in passing.......I love how you planked her :)   I will have some good reading tonight......I see that I'm not too late for the finish.......very nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, this model has a long way to go yet. :)

Russ