Help for beginners

Marty2

Hello hobbyists.   

I am brand new to this hobby and cant wait to get started.

Most hobby shops and suppliers are not overly helpful in my experience, so I am delighted to find this forum.

I am looking for some guidance on a couple questions.

1.  First project... this is what I am planning.... comments/suggestions?

https://www.modelerscentral.com/ship-model-kits/starters-packs/port-jackson-schooner-1803-starters-pack/

2.  Books and literature.   Any suggestions for books to help me learn the hobby?

3.  Tools, glues, accessories.   Any suggestions on what glues, tools, accessories that I should have on hand to get started?

Thank you so much for any guidance and assistance you can provide.

Welcome to the site!  I personally would start smaller unless you have some experience.  I’ve built a few smaller models in the last few years and that one looks like it’s tough!   Best of luck on whatever you decide, but my advice is start small, invest less, and enjoy!

Hi Marty and welcome to MSW.

If you haven't built any wooden ships I like to suggest to go NRG's shop and buy the halfhull.

This kit will give you a lot of needed skills for more advanced models.

Signing up as a NRG member will also give you 20% discount of the model. Well worth the money. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW!

I second the half hull, it’s not a first rate ship of the line, but it’s an excellent first model that will help you tremendously! It should teach you the basics of planking and hull construction which is what gets first time builders to give up or lose interest all the time. If that doesn’t interest you, Model Shipways, offers a really nice selection of first time builds that prepare you for more extreme builds! Good luck and most importantly have fun!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Welcome to MSW!

I started ship modelling a little more than a year ago. The first kit I ordered was Billing Boats Will Everard, by the look of it about the same level of complexity as the one you have found. Due to some mix up at the place where I ordered it from it was delayed, but I was eager to get started so I went to a local hobby shop and bought Bluejackets Swampscott Dory. This is a much simpler kit, and in hindsight I'm happy that I started with that.

The Billings was sold as a "beginners kit", but in reality it requires some experience. However, that is mostly due to the very brief instructions in Billings kits. The kit you have found looks very different in that regard, which should help a beginner tremendously. There are other suppliers that also offers starter packs, for example OcCre, but the subjects are not always historically accurate. The one you have found seem to be, which is good.

I too wanted to find books to read when I started building. I bought several, but in the end it was here at MSW that I found what I needed. At lest for my first builds. Now I have progressed to scratch builds, and the need for reference literature is greater.

Regarding tools, glues and accessories you will find several threads here at MSW going deep into all these topics. Personally I quickly got several types of glues, as they are good for different materials and assemblies. For wood I use aliphatic resin (yellow carpenters glue) and ordinary white PVA glue. For metal and metal to wood I use super glue (CA) or epoxy, depending on how strong the bond needs to be.

As for tools, the general advice is to start simple, and add when you know what you need. There are several threads on the topic, and articles in the article section of this site.

Welcome to MSW, Marty.

If you'll go to the top of this area, you'll find this:  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13703-for-beginners-a-cautionary-tale/   along with several other pinned posts to help you on your way.

Also, each section has pinned posts.  For example, in the Kit Builds area, there post on how to set up a log, etc.

I hope this helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You might also like to check out this thread - a good one for the first-time builder.

And when you do start, make sure to make a build log - the instructions are here

A great way to get help and advice - and encouragement (when it all seems too much).

And - welcome to MSW!

Steven

Welcome to MSW.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

7 minutes ago, Marty2 said:

Lots of good advise, thanks again.

I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.   There are no shops or stores that carry ship models and tools here.

Can someone advise me on where (on-line) that I can get a good selection of tools that are moderately priced?

Hope this question is allowed on here.

Odds are, Canada is no better than most everywhere else. The economics of internet marketing has pushed a lot of the "brick and mortar" stores out of business and the online retailers are pretty much the only game in town if you don't have a dedicated hobby shop close by. You can get a good idea of what tools and supplies are available from these two internet retailers: https://modelexpo-online.com/ and https://www.micromark.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cKInpjM7gIVIz2tBh0FlwgqEAAYASAAEgLtU_D_BwE  However, "buyer beware," many of their offerings are priced higher than they might be found elsewhere and, as for tools, may be of lower quality than professional grade tools that will last two or three lifetimes. Watch for sales and discount codes (some of which are available by clicking on the advertisers' logos on this forum's home page.) Other good sources of tools are commercial jewelers' supply houses and surgical and dental instrument supply houses. 

Hi Marty,  If you'll go here the the database: https://thenrg.org/resource/articles  there's an article on Basic Tools in the Materials/Tools area.  Unless you're a tool-holic like many of us (yep, I seem to be one also) only buy tools after the basics as you need them.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Marty, Welcome to Model Ship World.  Another source of tools and supplies are craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. 

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, Marty2 said:

Lots of good advise, thanks again.

I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.   There are no shops or stores that carry ship models and tools here.

Can someone advise me on where (on-line) that I can get a good selection of tools that are moderately priced?

Hope this question is allowed on here.

Marty here's the 2021 catalog PDF. I'm a very beginner at this but this forum has been very helpful. 

f2135ec59d2fa86b3ac514548b0da22dcc201a9a.pdf

Edited by CRob

Current Builds:
Snipe by CRob -Dumas #1122- Small
Sailboat by CRob - Dumas #1007 - small