Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi Popeye

If you thought that the main mast looked like a spiders web you want to see the mizzen mast lateen now I have put the rigging on it :huh:  :huh:

Denis.

you gotta post some pictures! super to hear the mizzen's in place! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all

Some photos of the full model.

Still have to finish the rigging on the mizzen mast and yards.

Denis.

post-303-0-77472000-1406349018_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-37837900-1406349042_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-90134500-1406349061_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-31791600-1406349082_thumb.jpg

I admire you Denis for undertaking such an ambitious build. Rigging is my least favourite modelling job.

Hi Brian

Thank you, but rigging is not my favourite job as well but we have to do it :( .

I would sooner be planking and sanding :D  :D .

Roll on the "RW" :)  :) :)  :) . 

Denis.

looking super Denis :) looks like your on the home stretch......mizzen rigging and your finished. very beautiful ship my friend :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

looking super Denis :) looks like your on the home stretch......mizzen rigging and your finished. very beautiful ship my friend :)

Hi Popeye

Thanks , the home stretch is about 5 weeks away ????????????.

I am doing part of the mizzen rigging now that will take a week the way I am going :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: .

The flags will be the last job to do roll on that day.

Then start all over again with the "RW" :D  :D .

Denis.

Looks good Denis! Now you'll be snapping at my heels and the other RW builders when you start!

BTW I love the way you lowered the yards with the furled sails. A little detail that many people omit.

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Nicely done Denis......... the sails look real good!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautifull ship Denis it's been great following you.The rigging looks very complex.I can't wait to see you start the Royal William.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hello Denis,

I have been staring at your latest pics in absolute awe.  To see the whole ship in the one photograph and how good each part is directly next each other really brings it all into perspective.  Just perfect!

I honestly can't think of the right words to say how good it looks.  Would you settle for a *gasp*?

Denis - Simply Stunning - Well Done - It inspires me even more to

keep going on my build when it gets tough.

You are testimony to what can be achieved when one mixes

discipline, passion & patience together, fixated with an end plan

of determination when faced with each challenge as it

presents itself.

- visi

Denis - Simply Stunning - Well Done - It inspires me even more to

keep going on my build when it gets tough.

You are testimony to what can be achieved when one mixes

discipline, passion & patience together, fixated with an end plan

of determination when faced with each challenge as it

presents itself.

- visi

Hi Visi

Thank you so much for them very kind words.

I do hope it will inspire you to carry on with your build of your SOS.

The most important think is be patient.

Denis.

Denis, you making a display case for the model ?

Hi Brian

I don't know yet but I don't think the admiral will not let me put it any place in the house with out one.

I cannot find any display cases this large for the SOS  and I am not that good at making that sort of thing.

I may end up giving it to some one :(  :( .

Denis.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Just some more rigging for you ha ha.

I think about another 2 weeks and the rigging will be done I hope.

Denis.

post-303-0-70688000-1408772787_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-21614700-1408772813_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-96701200-1408772834_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-62593000-1408772853_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-80498900-1408772887_thumb.jpg

Man! can ya see straight!? those rigging assemblies are mind boggling! you have done a splendid job with this build....and almost done to boot! .....few more lines. :) superb workmanship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi All

As I am getting to the end of the build of my SOS although it will be some weeks away yet.

I wish to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to my MENTOR   Vince P  without him I would never have got as far as I have.

So thank you Vince you are a good friend and well respected in the modelling world .

Denis.

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the compliments, but you donx't give yourself enough credit. You got this far on your own abilities. You are a first class builder and I learned from you as well.

Vince

As I am getting to the end of the build of my SOS although it will be some weeks away yet.

I wish to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to my MENTOR   Vince P  without him I would never have got as far as I have.

So thank you Vince you are a good friend and well respected in the modelling world .

Denis.

Hi Brian

I don't know yet but I don't think the admiral will not let me put it any place in the house with out one.

I cannot find any display cases this large for the SOS  and I am not that good at making that sort of thing.

I may end up giving it to some one :(  :( .

Denis.

Denis,

Model Expo does sell a case that will fit the SOS. That is what I put mine in.

Vince

Denis,

Superb work and that rigging is wonderful.  I recall what I thought was a lot of rigging on Wasa, but nothing like what your SoS has. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)