Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi Ron

I am to old to think about a scratch build ha ha.

I have also ordered a disc sander from Byrnes and in about 4 weeks time I will order the thickness sander.

Will have to make room in my office first ha ha.

Denis.

how are you coming along with the S.O.S. Den.........hope your doing well with her  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye

After the cutting off the backstay rope on the foremast and now replaced ( and a pain to do ).

I am putting the yards/sails on the main mast, just got two left and it will be glued in place ( then some photos ).

The sails for the mizzen mast are just about finished, then I have to sow them onto the yards.

Sorry I have been doing alot of work off the ship, so it will all come together all at once .

Denis.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis,

For some strange reason I missed your log  :(  :(

But I have found it again !!!!!!

You are doing a great job on the SOS!

Your rigging looks fabulous and those ratlines ?

You hate them or you love them !

But you are ( almost ) finished.

So be proud of what you have done !

I will follow you further now till the end !!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors

Thank you for dropping in.

Have about 3 months left on her.

Tonight will finish the main yard and glue the main mast in place.

Denis

Hi all

I have just fitted the main yard/sail on the main mast.

On reflection looking at the main sail I wish I had doubled up on the sail material :(^_^ , but to late now.

Will glue the main mast in tonight.

Post some photos soon.

Denis.

oh.....oh.....the dreaded 'looking back <--' from what I've seen of your work.......I think your fretting over nothing ;) keep going this way -->

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi All

First of all my wife will kill me if she knows I am sending the photos with out cleaning my work area up :(.

So I am sorry about that.

I have glued the main mast in and I think it is OK.

Done the crows feet etc.

Popeye I still think the main mast yard sail should have more sail on it ( sorry ).

Denis.

post-303-0-02633800-1398160961_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-85427600-1398160977_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-72577100-1398160994_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-00405200-1398161010_thumb.jpg

Hi Wacko

Thank you I will post more photos soon OK.

I would like your thoughts about the main yard sail, is it OK or do you think it should have more sail mat on it , I would like other people to comment on it as well as I am building blind on furling sails.

All the best Denis.

I think she looks good as it is, Denis. If anything, maybe a touch more on the TOP sails on both fore and main masts. But I'd leave the main-sails on both these as you have done them. Furled as they are, they will show off your deck details beautifully.

Just my two-cents worth ...

(From someone who fully unfurled all sails on two previous builds ... and regrets it every time I look at them.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

she looks great Den........the main sail looks just as good at the fore sail. wonderful rigging.....you've done a very SWEET job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just one word from me, Denis... WOW!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Brian

Thank you also.

I put all the kit ropes in the bin.

I got all my rope from Model Ship Supplies , and it seems like 200 miles of them ha ha .

Denis.

Denis simply stunning. I have done a lot of Rope Work in the past and think your Rigging is fantastic. The Furled Sails  definitely shows off the SOS giving the viewer more angles of view. Whenever you look at the SOS I believe you will always see something new. Your workmanship, attention to detail and being brave enough to challenge the Furling of the Sails is inspiring. Thank you.

- visi

Wonderful work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle