Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi Brian

As my kit was an old one, mine were solid brass ( but don't quote me ) but when I cut and filed them I did not see any white metal at all, all I got was brass filings .

Lost wax system .

Denis.

very beautiful Den......lots of glittery stuff! your style of rigging is really cool......heck I'd have to keep all that crap out of my way :) just wonderful!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis (and other SOS builders)

This is more of a naval warfare question than a build/model question.

the cannon that are behind the deck partitions point across the main deck. 

What is/was their purpose?

were they re-positioned to replace some of the outer cannon or were they used to shoot at enemy boarders?

trevor

One of the good things about being offline a few days is that I get to come back and catch up on all the logs of different ships, and different builders.

The REALLY good thing about that is it allows me to truly appreciate it when I see the photos of the genuine Master Builders and you are most certainly one of those Denis.  Your Sovereign of the Seas looks just incredible!  (And I love the pictures/maps on the walls behind too haha)

Edited by Bindy

Hi Bindy

You are to kind with them words ( I got a clip across the back of my head when the wife seen the photos ha ha, why did you not clean up before you took the photos ).

The maps are of some of the counties round Warwickshire, they are coming down soon to make way for some shelving.

I got them when I was doing family history.

Denis.

Your model is amazing Denis. The rigging - just looking at - does my head in. I can't imagine how you maintain control over that many lines. Fantastic work.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi All

Sorry no photos of the SOS yet.

I have just received my new Baby from Jim Byrnes ( model machines ) a new Table Saw.

She was delayed for about 5 days as the stork just had to go to New Zealand Customs.

After my Baby and I got home I just had to see if she was OK after a long flight from the USA to New Zealand , first job was unwrap her (take her out of the box) second job was to make sure she had not soiled her nappy (polystyrene cover to see if any damage) all OK.

I have got to say that she is the best table saw I have ever seen, the craftsmanship is just out of this world, Very high quality materials, very high standard of workmanship and I can go on and on.

The best thing is Baby Sawdust is getting a sister (she is on her way to New Zealand now) her name is Disco Sandy (Disc Sander) cannot wait.

Later they will get a brother Thick Bob the thickness sander.

If anyone is thinking of getting a Table Saw, Disc Sander or a Thickness Sander you have only one firm to go to and that is Jim Byrnes Model Machines, you will not be disappointed.

Denis.

post-303-0-91926400-1398927921_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-94746300-1398927935_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-44867600-1398927949_thumb.jpg

Awww Denis,

Sounds like you are starting a family !!!

:D  :D  :D

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Denis,

You should be happy that this "baby's " don't come home with boyfriends or girls  :D  :D

You can save money because of that and you can buy more tools !

Nice  :D  :D

Have fun with the new toys and tell us what is gonna be your next project.

Maybe dark side ???????

( with those tools you have to ! )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors

If my baby's come home with any thing it better be a block of HARD WOOD :D :D :D :D.

I don't know what my next build will be ( if you wish to know the truth, my good wife got my new build some months back but she will not let me open it till the SOS has been finished, she has taken it up to her mates house :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ).

Denis.

Sweet Denis. The very few power tools I've looked at would head me here. Hate to ask but I will :P - how much was the shipping?

P.S. Any luck with Beechmark?

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Denis,

I'm a newly proud owner of Jim's table saw (and disc sander) as well.  Amazing quality, isn't it?  I just got an email from Donna that my thickness sander is coming today - woohoo!  Enjoy!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Alistair

Will send you a PM ok.

Denis.

Could you let me know as well, Denis ??

I'd definitely be interested in acquiring a sawdust-maker for myself, as well - and that looks to be a real beauty.

(Maybe even a Thick Bob, also)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Mike

My Disc Sander has just arrived in NZ customs.

I think quality is an understatement if you don't mind me saying, I just sat down for an hour looking at it.

Let me know how you get on with the thickness sander, will order mine in about 3 weeks.

Denis.

Denis,

I know that New Zealand is on the other side of the world for me but there is one thing that I don't understand.....

Where I live we are celebrating Christmas in December and a birthday on a different day...

But you are celebrating everything in a few weeks ?????

Is that the reason for a lll those presents ?   :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors

It was my birthday on May 1st , but as I am an old man every day is a birthday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.

But joking apart the main thing is I have a GOOD WIFE. :) :) :) :).

Denis.