• Panart San Felipe
    • Corel Wappen Von Hamburg
    • Panart Anteo
    • Mantua Royal Caroline
    • Panart Amerigo Vespucci
    • Mantua HMS Victory
    • Mamoli Roter Lowe

Hello all,

I had fallen off the planet and am trying to come back. I recently sold my Mantua Cutty Sark for $1,000.00, which is nothing for the amount of time I put into it. But it had been sitting there for 7 years, with no one really looking at it, and it bummed me out.  Now I'm bummed that I sold it and want to start building again. I have all the kits listed in the poll and can't decide which to tackle. They are all in various stages of assembly, but mostly just the beginning of the hull planking. Just curious as to which one would be most popular here an would appreciate a little input.

Thank you all.

Edited by Salty Dog
Add content.

Hello Salty Dog,

The way I look at it, even if you didn't get a lot for your model, you found a home with someone willing to part with $1000. That's a chunk of money for most people, which usually means it's something they'll value, care for, and show off. Your model isn't gone, it's just being displayed in another location where more people can appreciate it.

And, you can use the money to help fund your next great work of art.

I voted for the Royal Caroline, only because it's one I've always wanted to build, and I already inherited a San Felipe kit from a friend. But, I wouldn't worry about popularity of the subject here. Build what would bring you the most joy!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I voted for the Wappen Von Hamburg because it is the one I would personally most like to build, out of that list.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you all for responding. Most are choosing the one I am most afraid of! The Wappen is a tough kit for different reasons. It is single planked. No messing up! The instructions leave much to be desired. I can't decide what to do with all the castings. Not sure I like all the colored characters. I think I might go with them as they come. The quality of this kit is top notch. Really nice wood and castings.

The kit that I have invested more time on as of now is the Royal Caroline. I feel guilty for having stopped when I was moving along well. Catopower has a good eye. The RC is like a jewel. Very elegant looking ship. So I might go with that, or I might take a dive and work on the Wappen.

Regardless, I just have to start moving and I appreciate your suggestions.

21 hours ago, catopower said:

Hello Salty Dog,

The way I look at it, even if you didn't get a lot for your model, you found a home with someone willing to part with $1000. That's a chunk of money for most people, which usually means it's something they'll value, care for, and show off. Your model isn't gone, it's just being displayed in another location where more people can appreciate it.

And, you can use the money to help fund your next great work of art.

I voted for the Royal Caroline, only because it's one I've always wanted to build, and I already inherited a San Felipe kit from a friend. But, I wouldn't worry about popularity of the subject here. Build what would bring you the most joy!

You're right of course. It's the reason I sold the Cutty in the first place. Just wasting away. The guy that bought it loved it at first sight, so I'm sure it's well appreciated.

Edited by Salty Dog

I believe ZHL is on the list of banned kits due to piracy practices.  :10_1_10:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Salty,

You are a bit too salty with your last two sentences.  That company is the most forbidden of all of the forbidden pirate kit companies.

High quality wood and components can never compensate for blatant theft of original plans and instructions.  The site rules are in the bottom forum.  

Popularity is not a thing here.  Scratch building is where real bones are made. 

Umm...  you sold a completed model of a kit that cost ~ $600 for $1000?    Working for the new minimum wage, if it took you more than 26 hrs,  you lost big time.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Yep. Worst of the worst. I won't even repeat their name.

58 minutes ago, Jaager said:

Umm...  you sold a completed model of a kit that cost ~ $600 for $1000?    Working for the new minimum wage, if it took you more than 26 hrs,  you lost big time.

You lose nothing if you enjoy the build and find a good home for the model, where it's appreciated.

I have a friend who gives away every model he builds to friends and family. All big ships. He does it because he enjoys it. If you're in it for the money, then it become a business, and for many of us, that in itself steals much of the joy.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Ooops, sorry about that guys. I deleted that reference.

Jaager, I got to build it which is what I really wanted. I paid $200 for the kit. I'm $1,000.00 richer today and can see my ship anytime I want because it went to a friend. And I own 2 of the exact same kits that are in my stash if I want to build it again. I love the Cutty. Some of us do it for fun, as Catopower said. Enjoy your real bones. I like my kits.

For those interested, this is the current state of my RC:

20210429_204827.jpg

20210429_204839.jpg

20210429_204844.jpg

20210429_204948.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
Add content.

14 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

For those interested, this is the current state of my RC:

Beautiful work, Salty Dog!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Beautiful work, Salty Dog!

Thank you Bob,

Went to "start it up" again and was disoriented. Didn't remember where I left off and was surprised I had done so much. I even bought the Anatomy of the ship and that may have been part of why I stopped building it. That and getting into plastic ships with beautiful PE. It is a great book, but so many things that are out of my league. I could never make the beautiful carvings. Last thing I had done was some of the mast work. I did try to replicate some of what the book illustrates but even that was complicated without going into scratch building. So it's either have fun and complete the kit, or really delve into things I have to spend lots of time learning and get discouraged some more. For now, I'd rather have fun.

I did buy a Servo-Matic because I have always wanted to make beautiful served lines. Hopefully I can handle that.

I don't think I'll start a build log because I'm so far ahead, but I will post updates here if permitted, for those of you that would like to see it and have said such nice things.

Onward...

2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I don't think I'll start a build log because I'm so far ahead

I thought the same thing when I was building my Medway Longboat by Syren and Chuck told me that "it's not too late to start a build log." So I went ahead and started a belated build log. It turned out to be the best thing I could have done since I got so much good advice and encouragement form fellow modelers. 

So I'd say go ahead and start a build log. You'll be able to ask questions and get great advice as needed and it will help keep you motivated to finish your ship. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Salty Dog, I agree with Bob.  Go ahead and start a log.  It's actually to your benefit to have one.    You might start with just a bit of background to get everyone up to speed.  Doesn't have be in depth, just a few pictures (if you have some) from early on and bit of text.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am a fan of the "Wappen von Hamburg", since  I was a child. I read the book of Wolfgang Quinger in the 70th of the last century. I think the kit is a good representation of the ship, based on the older Höckel drawings.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Well, I decided to continue on with the Royal Caroline. The first pics I posted were of the RC in its current state. I have made some progress. I didn't start a build log because the ship is so far done. I figure I'll at least update every once in a while. So here is where I am:

20210524_210341.jpg

This is the first time I have ever used my "own" wood for the deck. I bought some Midwest architectural wood and used that instead of the kit supplied one. I love it. Very nicely milled wood and all I did was add some sanding sealer. I also added the wales, and the chain plates, and the deadeyes, and the small steps on the side of the ship, the stairs, and the windlass.

20210524_210352.jpg

20210524_210426.jpg

I placed the figurehead, and all the brass parts. This was not fun. Bending that brass was a nightmare. I was going to cheat and use something else, but I stuck with it. The hat heads are also in.

20210524_210537.jpg

None of the gallery had been done. Tonight I added the lamps. For the windows, I didn't want to drill them out, and place some acetate as glass, just so you could look at a dark room. So I used Mylar. My daughter thinks it's cheesy, but my wife loves it. I think it's cool. Gives some realistic reflections.

And that's it. I will post updates when I get some more work done.

Edited by Salty Dog

Hello Salty Dog,

That classic basswood deck really does have a nice look to it, doesn't it?

Your progress looks very good. But, I think you should post in a build log, even if it's mid-build, it doesn't matter. It's just a place to check in on your build now and again – much better than trying to look for it in the General Ship Models Discussion section. And, I'd love to see the occasional update.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Salty Dog, I'm with Clare here.  By all means start a log and use maybe the first post or two to bring us up to speed on where you are now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)