HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Thank you Nigel,

a very nice comment of yours...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, we tend to want to say new words of praise for our complements.  But our wives never get tired of our saying , “you look good” or "your hair is nice".  So I hope you don’t get tired of my saying over and over, “Great job.  Well done.”

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Bob,

I`m Feeling very much honored for all the kind comments and "likes", and am happy that my first heritage 18th century ship is liked. Hopefully I`ll find through all the rigging work as well, I am still gathering information on that behalf

I just sliced some rings from a 8 x 0,5 mm brass tube and reshaped these over the handle part of an old square-file, so the brace Fittings work out exactly to slip tightly on the 6 x 6 mast top squares, simple easy without soldering

post-3445-0-90646200-1408134687_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Dont you just love it when all you have to do is just cut something and you are practically done?

David B

Nils great work as usual, your simple method of making square section from round tube is brilliant, I wish I had thought of that.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Geoff,

I`ll try to keep it up...

David and Michael,

...was one of those ideas with the square hoops from tube, that came when walking the dog in the morning, I had that idea already some time earlier, when making the bands for the anchor crossbeams in different sizes, but then I still had some squaretube to cut from for those...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Excellent work, dear Nils. I admire, what you are able to create from the wood and metal. What a great inspiration and beauty.

Best regards

Doris

Doris,

many thanks to you for your words, I love your masterly skills and admire those lovely figures you do so well, wish I could do even somewhat alike...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The seceret is to make sure you have the tubing the right size to begin with.

David B

Thats easy David,

I just hold the square section against the tube inside diam. sorting out a suitable tube. The flat portions are well inside the inner circle diam. the squares Corners are slightly outside the circle. Whenn squaring over the thorn it fairly equalizes the round to square lengths, without stretching the metal at all (only shaping Change)

I still had quite a lot of Surplus brass tube from the masting and Yard-making of the tallships

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, The Bow Shots look incredible. Beautifull work , She's quite the Master piece

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Build log part 54

Still doing the masting........

The Moderators must have changed the pic loadoing System, I ca`nt get my comments to the pics, will have to inform myself how to do... accordingly soon.

The lower fore- and mainmast are made frome spruce, the topmasts from  beech

The lower mizzen is beechwood und the upper mizzen is from bamboo.That was necessary to get the required strength into the fragile beams. The upmost mizzen-pole is spruce and can be slipped in and out of the socket of the underneath mast Portion.

The upper cheek areas under the top platforms  shall be blackend as well, including the upmost woolding. The platforms have gotten safety netting.

The shroud resting batten-Cages are Special and complete soft soldered from the recently made squarebands and 8 pieces of 0,8 mm brass wire. I think those shall be left in brass and not blackend

Build log part 55 to follow...

Nils

post-3445-0-08463900-1408639485_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-26537000-1408640053_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-44575400-1408640079_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-58081300-1408640101_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-22653800-1408640143_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25716200-1408640169_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73872300-1408640194_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-37925000-1408640216_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-75425100-1408640257_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Martin,

the bamboo I saw by coincidence at the local crafters market in the dept (gardening) for sticks to Support and tie flowers to.

The bamboo Comes in bundles, round sticks 4 mm 15 lengths each 40 cm long, and 5 mm diam. 10 lengths each 60 cm long I´m so glad to have found this, it is a super strong material and so easy to shape and taper, a bundle is less than 1 EURO

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That's a good find, Nils.  Some of the bamboo I've seen has a nice tight grain that would definitely make it suitable for the kind of work we do.  And at that price, who could say no?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

nice looking masts {parts}..........going to look really good when they are assembled ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great craftsmanship as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Nils, Beautifull job on the Masting, Amazing craftsmanship

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Popeye, Bob and Pete,

again many thanks for your Kind and appreciative words,

I am waiting for Peterssons`s book "Rigging Period Ship Models" to be deliverd these days and to get some more Information on the rigging process

, which I trust will bring some inspiring Input together and in addition with the Amati plan

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi David,

the bamboo here (4 and 5 mm rods) in the pic is natural Color, I just leave it this way and put on a varnish after shaping, You could`nt visualy tell if it is bamboo, it Looks like normal Wood afterwards

Nils

post-3445-0-33756100-1408730691_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 55

Here a Little status update.....

Those trestletree parts with their Slim dimensions looked extreme fragile to me, so I decided, for strength reasons to do them in Bamboo as well (are blackened anyhow afterwards).

After receiving the new rigging book the foremast bits have been equiped with cheekwise double-roller chucks to each post (They take the foremast lines for  jeers, clue, and Sheets.

The mast parts now are ready for attaching the appropriate blocks, shall start with the Standing rigging soon

Question to fellow modellers....

Lennarth Petersson`s very detailed book " Rigging Period Ship Models" Shows 4 sails over the frigate`s bowsprit and jib-boom

- fore staysail

- fore topmast staysail

- jib (sail)

- flying jib (sail)

Who knows and please would kindly tell me if  all 4 of These sails on a frigate apply for the Swan Class Sloops as well or perhaps less sails...

Many thanks....

Nils

post-3445-0-07666200-1409214969_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47941900-1409214973_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-26003300-1409214977_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43233900-1409214980_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-87930500-1409214982_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- It's looking good.  As for the rigging question, I find references in David Antscherl's FFM IV (the rigging volume) to all of these sails and their rigging except for the flying jib.  I don't have a copy of Steel to hand, but am sure others would know what that source includes.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Many thanks Martin,

its still plenty of time, until I get to the front sails, ist only important to know this upfront, due to the number of sheaves up in the foremast. I asumed already that 4 frontsails would be too much for the 14 gun sloop, so the admiralty Budget saves the cost for the flying jib here.

The main and the fore lower Yards are held up by jeers (next to the lifts). I`m wondering why there is additionaly the need for a sling at Yard Center to the lower mast top caps. This is shown in my book as well. Probably it is a safety device, should the jeers once fail...

The mizzen has only the sling for horizontal Yard Elevation anyhow.

I`ll be starting with the mizzen shrouds now...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, Incredible, I am amazed at the beautiful workmanship  every time I look at your Boat , Superbly done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your appreciative words

its running quite well in the Moment, and the rigging is very interesting to do. (learn by doing) Always have to think twice what line must be put on now  and where will be less Access to the belaying Points, blocks, etc. later on. I`m intending to Show the sails in braced mode, so all the involved lines will Need to be lead accordingly.

That will Show a cloud of sails from the leeward side, whilst a good Portion of the ships other Fitting out will be better visable from the windward side

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

the rigging is very interesting to do. (learn by doing) Always have to think twice what line must be put on now  and where will be less Access to the belaying Points, blocks, etc. later on.

So true Nils, the model is looking great and the mast are coming together nicely.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael,

I trust the rigging, let alone the sail making, will take some weeks, but nevermind as Long as there is Progress even if in Little bits...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Deadeye tackle on the mizzenmast shrouds

its the first time I`m making use of deadeyes instead of turnbuckle shroud spanners. Having to look for the right thread diam. in relation to the deadeye sheaveholes, so the rearside counterknot at the beginning  does not rush through the the predrilled hole when tightening the tackle.

The deadeye spacing distance is made repeatable by using spacer two easy removeable clamps after the zeising is put on the upper deadeye shroud cords

Nils

post-3445-0-91733800-1409415726_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73918200-1409415730_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-52909500-1409415733_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed