HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

David,

never question your own confidence in your work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils

Your Pegasus is really taking off!

Regarding slings: I would hold the two largest yards – main and fore yard – with slings. I did the same on my Pegasus after consulting my external brain (Lees).

I trust the rigging, let alone the sail making, will take some weeks...

Weeks?

You must be running in some kick down-over boost-afterburner-mode! Mere mortals as me need months if not years.

Take care, excessive speeds may be dangerous ;)

Peter

Hi Peter,

have not heard of you quite some time, nice that you dropped in...

yes, those two lower Yards will have slings as well as two jeers blocks. Asume that once hoisted into Position These two Yards remain rigged at that Elevation, so the sling just secures for the worst case.

I thought that rigging the shrouds would be quite a bit easier, but there is such a lot to be watched out for, like masts alignment, mizzen is 3° oblique Position, deadeyes must be in horizontal row, etc..., and seizings required everywhere, I must say hat off to those who managed to get this rigged up in the propper way.

Of course you are right, ist going to take some months to get through I suppose...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Build log part 56

have been busy doing the lower shrouds for mizzen and main, as well as their stays.

The ratlines will be done later on. In order to get the right Tension to the shrouds is was unfortunately not possible to Keep the shroud deadeyes 100 % in horizontal line.

But I`m very happy that the alignment angles of shrouds and chainplates correspond very well to the measures I had taken with help of a dummy mast and and a string, like shown earier in this log (Kester would say "a sigh of relief" was brought out)

The Standing rigging so far is quite tight and the masts are in alignment. Shall move on to the foremast next.

I fitted some wedge protectors to the bow rail contact area of the main stay. The wooden "mouses" for the stay slings are made from bamboo rod

post-3445-0-79281700-1409921261_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25868100-1409921267_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-88255800-1409921272_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-90690100-1409921275_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50978600-1409921279_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93163200-1409921281_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93442000-1409921284_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-61288200-1409921287_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63373900-1409921290_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12762800-1409921294_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

rigging looks really great Nils........you removed the capstan.....a very good idea ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

yeah, right Popeye,

that capstan as always in the way for rigging and got the lines tangled, luck for me it was`nt fitted permanently yet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Niks, The Rigging looks great , Beautiful work , Looks like she is almost ready for the Final downwind leg of this build , Incredible build

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

That’s how we learn, from watching others.  Now I see I have to hire some of those little guys you have to do the rigging for me.  Great job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you  Pete,

I can see light at the tunnels end and yet quite a way to go.....

Just thought that I should have done the stanchions for the decks ladder hatches before I put on the shrouds, would have been easier, and causes an intermediate tricky action now.

Nils

Thank you  Bob,

I`m glad that these two small ones stayed with the shipyard,  they have some experience in reading a book and transfering the learnt passages into actual...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, my mother always taught me - " if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all..." Luckily for you and me, I only have VERY NICE things to say about your Pegasus!!! She's an absolute beauty!

I always look forward to your upcoming build logs, because I know that I'll be amazed.

Keep it up!

All the best.

Nice words indeed Omega,

thank you very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great work as always, Nils.  I recall back on MSW 1 there was a discussion about whether or not the deadeyes should line up neatly in a row, and plenty of people argued that it might be overly fastidious to line them up, since a working ship would always have been adjusting and re-tensioning the lines.  Still, we do aim for a kind of ideal.

Great photos,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Very nice looking job on the rigging and don't fret the deadeyes Nils.  In real life they never lined up either, but I can't see the unevenness from her.  Must be very little.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank to you Martin and Piet,

nice appreciated arguments...

I think both of you found the right arguments for any misalignment in the deadeyes row. Yes ist a workship and so is the retensioning from time to time probably a regular process in the deckwork. This hopefuly may ease the objections fellow modelers may have had with their upper deadeye rows

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

NIls,

Nice update. Nice rigging work as well.  Thanks for the large format pics. helps to see your level of detail.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,

thanks for dropping in on this log. The large Formate pics can help sometimes, I often look into fellow builders logs myself,  "How does / did he dot it, how tackle the certain tricky Little point "....., but on the other Hand the Close ups also put the spot mercyless on every Little misfit

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Michael,

thanks for dropping in on this log. The large Formate pics can help sometimes, I often look into fellow builders logs myself,  "How does / did he dot it, how tackle the certain tricky Little point "....., but on the other Hand the Close ups also put the spot pittyless on every Little misfit

Nils

And a lot of us look into your build log to see how you do it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

the concept of the dead eyes all being of equal height,  has become the norm in model ship building.   there are many techniques out there,  all aimed at achieving the same result.  you've done a great job of it Nils.........if any of them are a minute bit off,  then you've achieved the more advanced technique of  'optical detailing'  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, Popeye and Frenchy,

many thanks for your words, and to all the others for their "likes" along with the HMS Pegasus build, enjoy the further  to be posted updates...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 57

have attached the burton pedants of the main top, which take the jeers blocks tackle of the lower mainyard later when the yards are made. Have to rig all the lines that go to between  tops and lower mast caps first, before the caps and topmast parts are (dry)- fitted

I`m showing here some of my ladderway hatch openings, not doing them too narrow, so a  mediun sized Crew member can enter up and  down in upright Position giving attemntion, but without bumping his head.

These Swan Class vessels are rather small and the deckbeams therefore quite low, but I did my best to provide Standing height (without hats) on all decks, at least between the deckbeams, based on the contures of the modified Amati plan Frames.

Will have to do the ladderway hatch stachions I have forgotten to place, now before I move on, Need to look for a good solution. (I saw some inspirations here at MSW already)

Nils

post-3445-0-14081000-1410100808_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-17684400-1410100813_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-54474400-1410100818_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-75903300-1410100823_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-10365600-1410100826_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-41633100-1410100828_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80277900-1410100830_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12335000-1410100834_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-76561200-1410100836_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13732300-1410100839_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 59

completed and fitted now the ladderway hatch stanchions with rails for forecastle- quaterdeck and maindeck, put some safty chains on as well.

Now the fore mast rigging can proceed

My workdesk .....(last two pics with all Tools for rigging )

Nils

post-3445-0-23404100-1410277528_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73875300-1410277534_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50094700-1410277538_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-08805400-1410277542_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-28411900-1410277547_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-44718500-1410277553_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-52632300-1410277558_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-95640500-1410277563_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12113400-1410277568_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13530800-1410277571_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Omega,

it may be that bcause I changed the Amati plan a bit, (framing and decks) and for the scratch build anyhow, that the Impression of a larger model arrises.

Also the deckplanks are only 3mm wide ( x 64 = actual 192mm, 11/2 sailors shoe width) I believe that may give the Impression of more space on deck. The model is exactly the same length as the kit model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

hello B.E.

thank you for looking in again and for the nice compliment.

I was not familiar with the 18th century rigging, but now I know what the lines are for and how they work. As I am intending to fit out also the stay- and spritboom sails, there will also be many more lines and belaying Points, but for the sail making I shall Need to groove myself in first and gather adequate Information. Luck for me I can refer to yours and other fine fellow builds now and then for reference (thanks to all)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils I too am amazed at how small your ship is I also expected it was much larger.  I think that with the quality of our photographic tools these days and the clarity of the images it is so deceptive when looking at the superb quality of the workmanship that we see consistently by you on this forum.

Regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael,

I never thought about fellow builders could imagine a larger scale for my model, because the scale 1:64 was pointed out in my thread heading at all times, but I asume its the scratch built Version of an changed Amati plan that may have caused a Little confusion. Thats also why there are no parts found out of the kit, except for the photo etched brass parts I bought from Amati along with the plan.

Before starting the Project I was so much impressed of the 1:48 Swan Class models built from plan here on MSW, That I felt myself so inspired to Change the Amati plan and to adopt whatever was halfway feasible into scale 1:64, well knowing that the 1:48 models are a  complete different ligue in attempt and challenge. (Hat off to those fellow Builders)

After all I`m happy it is liked so much, even if not larger than the Amati "Pegasus" and "Fly" kits. Besides that the 1:64 model under sail will be so large, that I realy Need to seek for a suitable place for its Display case

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just Incredible Nils, Beautifull workmanship , the detail work is some of the best that I have seen on this site, A true work of art

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/