HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Nils just when I think how many more lines could there be, you go right ahead and show us some more.

Making rope and growing the fibres for all that rope must have been a huge business in the 17th to early 20th centuries.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thats right Michael,

I`ve also been thinking of that, and further of the trees required to gain the correct dimensions for all the ships timbers, masts and spars, etc, and how quickly a ship went lost in a battle or so, with all those fantastic sculptural artwork , and sent to the ocean ground

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils -- You make a good point there.  It's one of the intriguing aspects of these ships that they should be so beautiful in order to expose themselves to destruction.  And the sheer number of trees involved in even one ship -- ach!  At least in the scale we work, there aren't so many trees cut down, and the ships don't fire real cannon at each other.   :)

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

I often find myself looking at trees or portions of trees with the eye for taxing if it would give an suitable elbow or a nice curved Handrail, or part of a Frame , etc...., especialy  since I joined MSW.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Nils,

I went through your posts but failed to find any details on the assembly of your safety railings.  It looks like brass tubing or rods and I'm wondering about the small round pieces used on the Balustrades and the type of material you used for the railing.

By the way, the support beams are another beautiful touch of detail.  Such an original and creative style on the build.  

Just a wonderful piece of detail...any assistance would be very much appreciated. 

post-17392-0-82698400-1428159261.jpg

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Boyd,

these are solid brass CNC turned and drilled stanchions and the wires are also brass 0,4 mm.

These priceworthy stanchions come from "RB Models" webshop in different sizes, for different number of wire lines and comprize the mini borings in the round part. Machining these myself is unfortunately beyond my capability

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Little update.....

Build log part 82

am still busy with the rigging, the foremast still needs the topgallant sail, and the two spritsail yards and sails are being prepared......

Nils

post-3445-0-57981100-1428160675_thumb.jpg

the two yards are not rigged yet. Here the sails are ready, the lower spritsail with the water-holes

here can be seen where the thimbles come to use, appropriate lines are belayed at the shroud cleats

post-3445-0-11018800-1428160659_thumb.jpg

at the fore-bits the lines for sheets, clues and jeers are not permanently belayed yet, as the sails still have to be moved during rigging (access-wise). The tackle outside of the shrouds belongs to the shifting-backstay

post-3445-0-96245400-1428160663_thumb.jpg

here mainmast rigged with all 3 sails, except for brace-lines and bowlines

post-3445-0-43482800-1428160668_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-98181700-1428160672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Thanks much for the quick response.  Although I have many tools for working with metal this task is also beyond my capability as well.

This is an interesting subject "build vs buy" in the world of scratch building and model ship building in general.

Personally, I have no issue with buying something that quickly adds value to my model....and also saves me some time.

Boyd 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks so much Lawrence,

and for your appreciating comments when you check my updates.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I've been looking into the scratch vs buy thing as well.   I don't have the capabilities to do stanchions like that either.......lucky I had a decent inventory.......which by now,  is greatly depleted.   you have a knack  with working with metal Nils...your not fool'in me  :D  :D

looking great Nils.......really like the method your doing with the sails

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks for your nice comment Popeye,

I`m currently working on the last 3 sails and their yards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

will this finish the build?   hard to think you'd be done,  with all that you've put into her ;)   the picture of her with all her sails will be a keeper!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye,

no, not done then, but still to do all the remaining shroud cleats, brace lines, bow lines, coil Ends and all the fine Tuning, presume it will take me to late june this year when all is done.

I also have a command of 38 British Infantry figures (1775-1783) in scale 1:64 who can be appointed as redcoat marine infantrists as well, if I pick a few out for maning the Pegasus battle stations. Arm positions, weapons, hats, etc,... are variable and can be Chosen, so I can also have one or two at the swivels

Nils

post-3445-0-35175200-1428407455_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 83...

Update

Sprit and jib-boom sail, ready to capture the slightest breeze...

Nils

post-3445-0-92383300-1428850870_thumb.jpg

I put the braces on the sprit- and jib sail yards

post-3445-0-98238400-1428850878_thumb.jpg

the 8-hole saddle on the lower sprit boom, enables a little order to the many lines

post-3445-0-17657300-1428850882_thumb.jpg

looking like a ship now.....

post-3445-0-78306100-1428850885_thumb.jpg

only the foremast topgallant sail is still missing.....

post-3445-0-89059700-1428850888_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49767100-1428850891_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils your rigging continues to amaze me, Just planning which lines to install first is a mind bender for me. A steady hand a long fine tweezers would be a must.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

All those lines and at 1:64 at that.  I would have such a knotted mess.  You're doing great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks to

Boyd, Bob (Rafine), Michael, Bob (Cap`n), Mike, and all the "likes"

Boyd,

thanks for your fine comment. I saw that you`re putting nice detail beneath your Bounty`s decks, very nice looking

Bob (Rafine),

I`m glad you like the rigging, but must bear in mind that you have even a smaller scale with your "Essex" rigging, well done, looking forward to seeing some update pics soon

Michael,

its quite struggle with fiddling the lines through the sheaves of the 3mm blocks, (thinned out the ends) , but yes, two tweezers and two scissors are in use alltime.

Cap`n Bob,

from time to time I have to identify which line goes to or come from where......, so gently pull at the other end and see which one moves....

It is my intention not to have lines from the crossing between foremast-bits and the bowsprit enabling free access (rounding) to the front forecastle deck

Mike,

thanks for looking in,  its a pleasure to have you following the progress. All the best for your current Colin Archer project

Nils

post-3445-0-58341400-1428912621_thumb.jpg

some of the mostly used rigging equipment.....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"from time to time I have to identify which line goes to or come from where......, so gently pull at the other end and see which one moves...."

I suspect on the full sized ships they frequently had to have a man at both ends of a line for the same reason.

I'm not familiar with the "GAS TURBO" device in the lower left corner of the picture. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob,

probably that was the pulley man !?

the Little gas tourch fills with ordinary cigarette lighter liquid gas, Im using this tourch with piezo ignition for many years now for all my soldering work ( soft- and smaller silver solder application, appr. 1100° C blue Turbo flame)

For rigging Im using it to thin out the lines Ends to half ist thickness, otherwise I`ll get a heartattack when when trying to sheave in those 3mm blocks

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Exemplary work, Nils, utterly fascinating!  One of the great features of these beautiful ships is their rigging, and adding the sails really does bring your build to life! 

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Exemplary work, Nils, utterly fascinating!  One of the great features of these beautiful ships is their rigging, and adding the sails really does bring your build to life! 

Cheers,

Martin

A well appreciated comment Martin,...

thank you very much, I do hope your HMS Fly has meantime received some progress, (pics available ?) wish you all the best with it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

detail is wonderful. :)

Thanks very much for your appreciation Tuciship,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- My own progress is slow -- I've managed about 1 or 2 planks per evening, since the spiling takes a while, along with the bending, and then the gluing -- and the planking screws keep me from measuring or placing anything next to them.  But I am getting close to a stage worthy of a post in my log -- soon.

Meanwhile, I'm learning a lot from following your progress.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

thumbs up Martin,

its not the speed of build that Counts.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed