Anyone out there working on a card model?

I just couldn't help myself and bought the Shipyard kit HMS Wolf. I got the laser cut kit with all the bells and whistles, not as cheap as the one @catopower bought though. I got it online from https://ca.super-hobby.com/products/HMS-WOLF-The-10-Gun-Sloop-1752-skala-1-72.html . It was very affordable and had free shipping... how could I not. Also on that site on the product pictures they show all of the contents of the kits, very cool feature and more webstores should do this.

Picture from Shipyards online store.

1567401951_HMSWolfShipyardboxart.png.a29da0bd8ed992b31dfc2b95f4f0e103.png

https://shop.model-vessel.com/index.php?id_product=73&controller=product&id_lang=2

Looking forward to seeing the build!

You won’t be disappointed!

Shipyard’s kits are very nice!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Working on a Shipyard 1/72 Santa Maria, the one with the laser cut parts and paint. It's pretty much idiot-proof, so it's ideal for me. :) I was going to do a diorama of the wreck based on a painted in National Geographic from the 80s. I think the artist was Richard Schlecht, who illustrated all of the Time-Live volumes on ships. 

Love the card ships! Huge variety.

Lyle

201631327_10218618270239600_796947788789547343_n.jpg

santa-maria-1 (1).jpg

• 2 months later...

I just started another card model.

I am building the Revenge in 1/64 scale from Victory Models plans.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Here is the link!

I just wanted to give another shout-out somewhere to WAK (https://www.wak.pl/). I placed an order on 4 Feb and got it today, eleven days later, which is pretty lickety-darn-split for an order crossing the pond from Poland -- I usually don't get my hopes up when checking the mailbox until at least three weeks have transpired. The order came perfectly packaged, and WAK's shipping rates are unbeatable ($13.41 for three kits, five sets of laser-cut frames, and three canopies). In addition to being sold through WAK's online shop, the three kits I purchased are also published by WAK. These are the first of their kits I have obtained, and my initial impressions of them are very favorable. I may do a write-up of them later in the "what have you received" thread.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

• 4 weeks later...

And trains are so like sailing ships...!

I do the same thing when I get tired of rigging.  I build 1/12 scale race cars.  And when I get tired of winding throttle return springs or rubbing out paint I go back to ship building.  Takes twice as long to build one model but no longer to build two!

• 3 months later...

I recently acquired a number of paper model kits that I'm interested to take a shot at however everything is in German.   Can anyone suggest where I can get English instructions?   Or just info in general on the kit?  Thanks!

352558821_1481147335954265_3940696608860337961_n.jpg.18a13428c4015e0370dac9110676cc2d.jpg

Edited by Azzoun

Most recent cell phone models have some kind of translation app on board. My Android phone has Google Lens. Your kit is an older kit published by Wilhelmshavener. I'm guessing it's hand-drawn and probably a little light on the instructions/diagrams -- probably not too detailed, either.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Google translate works well for me.

You can scan the passage directly into the input box.

That’s how I translate most of mine.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

• 5 months later...