Anyone out there working on a card model?

There's been quite a few card models here.   Go to the kit area and search using "Card" and "Titles Only",.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just finished Shipyard's Hanse Kogge Bremen 1380 card model kit. It's the type with all the parts provided, laser cut. 

Paper models are nice in that they don't cost as much to make, and as you say, they don't require many tools. They also don't need as much room to work on and there's not much mess with them. I like my wooden models, but I have found paper models to be a fun and interesting alternative.

That's a nice shopping site – appears to be in Germany. I've purchased from gpm.pl, which is in Poland, which seems to have a similar paper model selection. Also, Shipyard kits can be purchased through Cornwall Model Boats in the UK, as well as Ages of Sail in the US.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

4 hours ago, gagliano1770 said:

They look like fun, realistic models that don't require the amount of tools and skill that the wooden ones do. It's hard to find people still doing them, though.

Yes, they are fun, but "easy"? That depends entirely on the model. Bear in mind that in addition to requiring its own particular skill set, an advanced card model can easily have several thousand pieces. It's as challenging as any other medium.

You can find out more about card models in the kits section of the forum, as well as searching for the word "card" in build log titles as Mark suggested. Also, we have reviewed some card model kits in the reviews section (and more are on the way).

Be warned: Once you try card, you may not go back!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Mark, Clare, and Chris! I will look up the card models on the forum. I'll also look for the Shipyard kits - thanks for that. Fenten's also has a shop in Australia. I ordered from them because their shipping costs were a little less than Fenten's Germany. It still took a month for the package to arrive in the US. And yes, Chris, I'm sure the complex kits aren't easy. I bought 4 kits that they rated "very easy." We'll see about that.

Not to push you to other internet fora, but especially in the eatern parts of europe paper/card modelling is very, very serious business. There are some fora over there (google tranlate required) that are worth visiting.

the amount of skills required is certainly not less than working gwith wood. The skillset is definitely different from the one you need with wood (or plastic,or resin , or....)

papermodelers.com is a nice one (and english)

And card is fun :) Which ones did you order?

Jan

Edited by amateur

Ahoy mates!  You've jogged my memory enough to make me remember a paper model kit of the U.S.S. United States - a postwar luxury ocean liner originally built for speed with turbine engines.  I think I was 8 or 9 years old, and the model I was able to make from the die-cut thick-stock color printed paper looked pretty good to my eyes.  I can't remember whatever happened to that model.

A few years a go I went down to the Philadelphia docks to view the United States tied-up in a state of limbo.  I think the choice was either to turn it into a cruise liner (with standard engines as the turbines were reported to have been already removed) if a buyer could be found.  Asbestos removal might have been an issue.     Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I like card models.  It is a very versatile medium, that bashes in well with other mediums.

You should look at Doris’s and Ab Hoving’s card models.  They are phenomenal.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just been in touch with a guy on papermodelers.com that has returned to paper modeling after a hiatus. 

When I built my Shipyard 1/96 scale paper model of HMS Alert, I ran across his build of Shipyard's 1/72 scale version, which has all the parts laser-cut, plus brass cannon barrels, etc. His model was so cleanly built, it was an inspiration to see. He just posted his pics of that model again. Makes me want to build that kit, but I already built almost the exact same thing, just smaller.

Doris's builds that GrandpaPhil mentions are almost too good to be true. And, of course both Doris and Ab are scratch modelers, a fact that kind of floors me too.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I like paper models ,mostly planes and ships. I have a kit for a period wooden sailing ship but havent a'ttempted it. I also have a collection of other kits both planes and ships. If anyone looks at Pintereast one can find a multitude of plans and down loads for paper sculptures. Much fun.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

with respect to downloads: quite a few sites around that are taking copyrights not too seriously. Downloadsections of the cardfora are ligit, as are some dedicated fora by designers. 

fun are the birds by Johan Scherft: https://jscherft.wixsite.com/website-johan-3/templates-store

canon has quite a few models (nope, didn't do any of them) https://creativepark.canon/en/categories/CAT-ST01-0071/top.html

rather interesting (but not beginner models) are the ones by David Hathaway:

https://www.papershipwright.co.uk/

looking interesting are these american civil war ships by Marcus Mork: http://modelsnmoore.com/mmork.php

Jan

Don't underestimate the paper. It can get very serious in no time. Look at the Borodino or Bismarck  report of Dan Vadas, blessed his name is, in this site. The choice is really very wide and some good quality download models are available on paper-replika dot com, just use a sheet that is thick enough. Don't miss the chance.

Once paper modeler, forever a paper modeler.

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, this discussion of paper models got me to looking at a couple projects I've had in the works.

One is a bit too complicated for me to continue with just yet, that's Shipyard's 1/96-scale paper model of the frigate HMS Mercury. 

The other, however, is much simpler. It is Shipyard's 1/96-scale paper model of the fluit Schwarzer Rabe. I started this one early last Fall when I had to temporarily relocate to take care of my elderly mother after she had a mini-stroke. The model kit kept my mind busy and required few tools, so it was easy to work in my bedroom's desktop workshop. I didn't really plan on making it a regular project – it was mostly just to fill in the spare time I had.

However, this past week, I decided to pull it out of storage and do a little work on it.

IMG_2664.thumb.jpg.fa77ed95f5aaf0f3ace796f6792fcf24.jpg

I started a build log on my own blog site as well as on Papermodelers.com, but I may go ahead and post it on MSW. I'm not sure, as I have other build logs I need to wrap up here before I add yet another! It's just the way I like to work 🙂  I work on this kind of thing in spurts. So, maybe now I'll wait until my next burst of progress before I start the build log here.  

But, hey, at least I finished the Bremen Cog build (and build log) this year!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

On 5/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, reklein said:

I also have a collection of other kits both planes and ships.

Unlike wooden ship models in their large boxes, card models do sorta lend themselves to hoarding, um, I mean "collecting."

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hello,

Apart from building ships and planes, I sometimes venture a card model, especially birds.

Hope you like it.

Leo

Visarend 3.jpg

Visarend 2.jpg

Visarend 1.jpg

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

There are some very realistic bird models around. 

My favorite are the birds  by johan Scherft, a dutch paper artist. They are incredibly good, and yet very simple to build (much smaller than that impressive eagle shown above :) ) and they cost (next to) nothing.

IMG_0796.jpg.09da9844ac5fef011eb8326f045971df.jpg IMG_9933.jpg.78320e1a29d03852df5168ba4a322277.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg.5132798f8aebbf63bb8708725e6bff3e.jpg

IMG_1178.JPG.915beca68df6dec4a6a5717d7c0c00bc.JPG

IMG_1179.jpg.b2002f3149d58a1f7cd7392616e18f2a.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg.3cc9e7d9249126179c114cb07a71c41f.jpg

Edited by amateur

I honed my early skills on some trout models that used to be available for free on a Japanese site. Very nice models and pretty realistic-looking. Sadly, I don't think the site is up anymore.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 5/30/2021 at 1:21 PM, amateur said:

Not to push you to other internet fora, but especially in the eatern parts of europe paper/card modelling is very, very serious business. There are some fora over there (google tranlate required) that are worth visiting.

the amount of skills required is certainly not less than working gwith wood. The skillset is definitely different from the one you need with wood (or plastic,or resin , or....)

papermodelers.com is a nice one (and english)

And card is fun :) Which ones did you order?

Jan

Thank you, Jan, and thank you for the forum recommendation (and your Latinate pluralization of forum!) I ordered a Viking ship, a Steinway grand piano, an old farm house and some kind of tower, maybe for air traffic control. Sorry for my late reply - I haven't been on for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing it!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 11 months later...

Another card model publisher which has been reviewed here on MSW is Seahorse. I wanted to learn more about this company and their products, so I went ahead and purchased their Armed Virginia Sloop kit. At 1/100 scale, the hull is pretty tiny at just about 7-1/2" long. I ordered some of the optional accessories, including the laser-cut gun carriage set, sails set, and laser-cut parts. The whole order cost me less than $25 shipped from Poland(!).

In a matter of about three weeks time, this is where it stands...

IMG_4959.jpeg.8b72345dcd1593b72579b69e429a42ec.jpegIMG_4961.jpeg.6ecff2c6e56a262223494a531f196459.jpeg

I'm still learning a lot about paper modeling, but this kit has so far been a very fast lesson. 

I'd only gotten it to try it out. But, it's small enough that I'm going to have to see it through to completion. Only thing is that it's been fairly easy up to this point, relatively speaking. Now, come all the tiny parts!

I found that there are a few other optional accessory sets that I didn't see when I got the kit, so I went ahead and ordered those. They include the dowels set (in beech), resin cannon barrels set, and laser-cut blocks set. So, add another $20 to my project costs. 

I'm really hoping to see some of these Seahorse builds here on MSW...

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

2 hours ago, catopower said:

I'm really hoping to see some of these Seahorse builds here on MSW...

Me, too -- but if I recall correctly, I have to go off-site to see the build log for this one (hint, hint). 🤨😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco