USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

To keep them safe, my boats will be stored in air-tight food containers (like Chinese takeaway ones) until the time comes for them to become part of the main build.

As I have already mentioned, I am temporarily putting this log on hold for the time being whilst I work on a new kit, Model Shipways Bounty Launch.

Hope to see you there !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Well done Steve. That is a lot of work, and like you said, each is a piece of art in itself. Yours certainly are.

Good luck with your next project, but we want you to come back to this Connie also, ok?

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

No need to worry about that, Jay. The box for Connie still sits in full view of my build table, and once I reach the stage of having nothing else to do, it will look accusingly at me until I open it up again ....

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 7 months later...

Sorry to hear about a break-in  and the passing of an old friend Steve. I've lost a few myself, and can sympathize. I agree that burglars should be keel-hauled, only on an aircraft carrier. :) Been following your Connie build. Nice work on your boats. Going to be at mine in about 4 or 5 months or so.

Fair Winds

George

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 5 months later...

Only on matters of wood, Gibbs.

:pirate41:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Cap'n, I just finished reading your tales of hard trials and great tribulations on the ships boats. Quite the saga! I await the commencement of this iconic ship build to follow along.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Hey CaptainSteve, so this is your new home? I'll have to read up on your log so I'm not like a fish out of water. I spotted a few comments about guys knitting and quilting and such. Looks like I just may fit in here!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Permission to come aboard, Captain Steve!

Looks like I have some enjoyable reading to do to catch up with the story so far!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Arrr ..

Thank ye, Gentlemen.

Nigel. Plenty o' room up the back there ...

Or, for the low, low price o' jus' $5000 per week (made payable to MSW), I be certain I can be arrangin' a Deluxe Seat fer ye up front.

(Includes snacks)

Matt. Since you and the Nutz Brothers phoned ahead then your seats have been reserved.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ah, found it! I'll be following along too.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Just got done re-aquainting myself with your Connie Captain. It must be good to know you're already past "the building of the boats" stage. Pulling my barrel up once again. B) 

Cheers :cheers:  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Ahh ... I catch you ... here is where you are hiddin...

Can I follow ?

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Arrr ..

Thank ye, Gentlemen.

Nigel. Plenty o' room up the back there ...

Or, for the low, low price o' jus' $5000 per week (made payable to MSW), I be certain I can be arrangin' a Deluxe Seat fer ye up front.

(Includes snacks)

Matt. Since you and the Nutz Brothers phoned ahead then your seats have been reserved.

Kudos to Matt and the Nutz Brothers for planning ahead.   :) Very sensible chaps indeed.

Now, I don't think even the Connie has enough decks for me to swab to cover the weekly entrance fee to the posh seats, even if snacks are included!  But, never mind, there is space back here so let me see if all is ready.

1) Comfy camping chair w integrated adult beverage holder.

2) Binos so I don't miss any of the action

3) Cooler packed w lots of beverages  to share including my favorite single malt and of course some Jim Beam for our host.

4) Snacks...hopefully the Nutz Brothers are OK w peanuts. 

Yep..all looks good and the cap is of the first beer...work is done for the day....and so life is good!  Looking forward to the build!  :D

:cheers:

Cheers,.

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

USS CONSTITUTION  by CaptainSteve
RE-DUX

“Avast and Ahoy !!” announced CaptainSteve, most whole-heartedly. “Firstly, may I just say that it doth feel-eth most good t’ be back."

Now, for those o’ ye who be a-reading this log from the beginning, and have-eth arrived to this very point and be a-wondering just what the heck a ‘re-dux’ be, then please do read-eth on …

“I be back,” he were to explain, “from me self-imposed hiatus whereby I didst take a brief, fourteen-month, break to be a-building me Bounty Launch."

(Now, 'twas during this time that CaptainSteve were to discover this somewhat twisted persona what doth possess-eth most annoying penchants for referring to its' ownself in a convoluted mix o' the First-, Second- and Third-person, as well as fer talkin' in Ye Olde English ... )

"Ahem ... !!"

“Fer the rest o’ye,” Our Hero were to continue, “who didst link from me Launch build, please feel-eth most free to go back to the beginnin's o' this log and check out me boats.”

Anyways, o’er the past couple o’ years, CaptainSteve hath always kept in the back o’ his mind that one day he be a-returning to his Connie build.

“But firstly,” he were to go on, “I didst be a-needin’ to do that little side project as a warm-up.”

Indeed-eth, with that matter now done and dusted, the time hath now come-eth to be returnin' to the USS Constitution.

“And, thusly, THAT," Our Hero were to summate, "wouldst be-eth why I be callin’ this a ‘Re-dux’ !!"

And so, wi’ his Launch now behind him (”Pics be in the Gallery !!”), the first thing to do wouldst be a complete clean-up o’ his modellin’ room …

“Ye shall be not a-seein’ me benches so clean ‘n’ clear fer the next few years, methinks.”

post-675-0-45446500-1429444480_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-72448700-1429444484_thumb.jpg

Now, a-fore he begin-neth in earnest, Our Hero doth wish to ha' a few handy links close at hand …

“These shall be a-coming in most handy fer me,” he went on, by way of explanation.

“First up, just a few o’ the superb modellers who I be a-followin’, and who also be building (or ha’ built a-ready) the Model Shipways kit o’ the USS Constitution.”

“I be a-plannin’,” CaptainSteve were heard to whisper conspiratorially, “to be a-plagarizin’ much from the above very fine builders.”

Next up, here be a brace o' links to discussion forums which Our Hero didst also find-eth ‘round MSW:

These were to be most useful fer when CaptainSteve were contemplating some o’ the changes and bashes he be a-plannin’ on makin’.

“I be a-goin’,” he were to inform everyone within ear-shot, “fer an 1812-era look. But there be time for more on that later.”

And this link will make it possible fer Our Hero to check out the real Connie anytime he doth so please …

(Many thanks go out to CapnHarv2 fer that one !!)

Another brace I be findin' most useful:

(Thanks also to JerseyCityFrankie fer that las' one.)

And so, wi’out further procrastinations, let’s be a-getting’ this here show on the road !!

“Firstly,” Our Hero were to commence-eth, “a quick check o’ the keel and false-keel pieces which ha’ already been cut, bearded, sanded and faired.”

One little piece didst require some glue-ing and clamping …

post-675-0-03189900-1429444487_thumb.jpg

“One o’ the bashes,” CaptainSteve didst interject, “which I has been a-plannin’ from the out-set, wouldst be the addition o’ LEDs.”

At this early stage, 'twouldst be nigh on impossible for Our Hero to give specifics – given that he hath been known to change his mind most frequently – but plans are a-foot for lighting in the stern galleries, as well as deck lanterns on the spar-deck.

As such, he were next to be a-fixin’ the wiring connectors …

post-675-0-57003600-1429444489_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-94497500-1429444491_thumb.jpg

Thusly, e’en wi’ CaptainSteve’s extremely tenuous grasp ‘pon matters o’ Electrification, he were to proveth his-self to be a Man ahead o’ his Time … for, most verily, Thomas Edison were not to be born for another 35 years hence !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

post-675-0-59478800-1429444494_thumb.jpg

"These wires," he said, "be jus' fer connectin' power to me circuitry."

Verily, the lower o' the connecting connectors shall be installed in the base-stand, along wi’ a battery-pack and a switch fer’ turning the lightin’ off an’ on again.

“I be a-figurin’ to have the plastic surround o' the upper connectin' connector to finally be extending jus’ below the false keel. Me reasonin’ ‘twouldst be to prevent a short-circuit occurin’ wi’ the to-be-installed copper-platin’.”

But, as the weekend didst draw to a close, Our Hero were needin’ to be wrappin’ things up …

“Now, I be not sure how many o’ Ye doth recall,” CaptainSteve didst reminisce.  “But many moons ago, I didst groove-eth out a channel, one-a-side, to aid in strengthenin’ me keel piece.”

post-675-0-01369000-1429444497_thumb.jpg

One last point:
“Those wi’ a keen eye,” CaptainSteve were to close, somewhat paradoxically, “may notice three drink can ring-pulls in the lower right corner o' the last photograph.”

Our Hero, most verily, doth ha’ plans for these, so stay tuned ….

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Chair's pulled up. Cigar's lit. Favorite beverage's poured and chillin'. Let the activities begin!!!!  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Poopcorns... where are poopcorns? I wanna sit near poopcorns and watch

Good luck sailor ... ups ... Captain with your build ... wish you succesfull bashing ... with/without hairy cooconuts

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I've already caught the Nutz Bros eyeing your lighting idea. This was something that had entered their minds when they began their ship, now I think them squirrels be looking intently at stealing ideas, as pirates do. Me an the little buggers are bracing for this ride!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Captain Steve, if I could be so bold to offer up an idea building on your lighting of the ship. Add a sound module as well that could easily fit within the hull. I would imagine a beat to quarters with deck sounds and canon fire, wind and waves in the background.

I added a sound module borrowed from the Railroad side of modelling when I built my 1/8 scale Model T with the engine starting up, running and then fading in the distance. Here is an image of the entire module with battery since it was held within the trunk of the T. The sound chip has a max run time of 60 seconds and then automatically shuts off. Several sound clips can be blended and then looped for the run time. All was accomplished over the internet including the editing and tweaking of the sound chip with the developer. If any interest I could send you a link to the supplier. The cost was around $50.00 US.

post-18498-0-17315600-1429548044_thumb.jpg

I have also purchased the model and will be following your build with interest. I am new to ship building so I have not yet learned where all the sacred cows are.

Have a great build!

Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Aye CaptainSteve, it's good to see you back working on her!

With your questions about 5 window vs 6 window sterns and the yellow stripe, I wonder if you plan to open up the gun deck or use the dummy cannon? Maybe you've said it and I missed it. That's one of the few regrets I have on my Connie (not building the gun deck). Well, that and all the mistakes that I've made and swept under the carpet.

Thanks,

Harvey

Arrr...

CaptainSteve,

Great idea on the inside lighting. 

This could be a nice effect for my open hull Bounty....I think I'll ponder on the subject...it'll need to be very subtle   :)

Boyd

Thanks, Boyd. I am yet to give a lot of consideration to the specifics o' the electronics, but I wanted to get power to the inside a-fore it was too late.

I can't wait to see this build

Me either, Jp.

Chair's pulled up. Cigar's lit. Favorite beverage's poured and chillin'. Let the activities begin!!!!  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

Welcome aboard, George !! Jus' be leavin' the stewardesses in an upright position, if you could.

Poopcorns... where are poopcorns? I wanna sit near poopcorns and watch

Good luck sailor ... ups ... Captain with your build ... wish you succesfull bashing ... with/without hairy cooconuts

Thanks, Nenad. I'll be checkin' Kit-Basher's frequently to see if you have left any ideas I can use.

Me an the little buggers are bracing for this ride!

Likewise, Matt ... it's shaping up to be a wild ride.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Captain Steve, if I could be so bold to offer up an idea building on your lighting of the ship. Add a sound module as well that could easily fit within the hull. I would imagine a beat to quarters with deck sounds and canon fire, wind and waves in the background ...

Ken

Thanks, Ken. That's a pretty cool concept you have there. I'd have to give it some consideration. Having sea-sounds or birds calling or occasional gun-fire (with battle sounds) or, even, snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner playing at random intervals is definitely worthy o' further thought.

However, that wiring connector has been fixed fast using two-part epoxy. Thus, there is no chance now of adding wiring for volume control.

Although, in theory that (as well as track selection controls/bass and treble controls) could be installed in the base stand OR be done wirelessly.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

A tad late to this clambake, but I'll pull up a seat and an appropriate libation. One of my favorite ships, but my skills need a lot of honing afore I attempt this jewel. here's to a great build, Cap'n ! :cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Not too late at all, Ken. I'm only just laying the keel ...

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Aye CaptainSteve, it's good to see you back working on her!

With your questions about 5 window vs 6 window sterns and the yellow-stripe, I wonder if you plan to open up the gun deck or use the dummy cannon? Maybe you've said it and I missed it. That's one of the few regrets I have on my Connie (not building the gun deck). Well, that and all the mistakes that I've made and swept under the carpet.

Thanks,

Harvey

Harv',

I have been giving lots o'thought to the various matters such as number-of-windows and white-over-yellow stripe etc etc

Briefly, for my own model, I would tend towards a six window arrangement, as I prefer the Hull model for details such as this.

As to the stripe ... well, for my money, that has to be white.

(And no red strip above the copper-plating ... I believe that came in much later.) 

As to the gun-deck, well, I had planned on going with the kit on this matter ....

BUT, having seen what Tom (UsedToSail) did with his Connie, then I am sorely tempted.

Admittedly, Tom's whole cannons are a vast improvement over the dummy guns ... but this is before the gun-ports are added. My concern, however, lies with just how much of all his additional work - stunning as it is whilst we can see it - will actually be visible in the end.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)