Back in February, I made an advance order for a forthcoming volume about the Kriegstein Collection of 17th & 18th century ship models, to be published by Seaforth Books. After several postponements this was finally published at the end of September. There have been two previous books published by Seawatch Books on this subject, both of which were highly informative and desirable works. Owners of these books will have some idea of the quality of both the Collection, and the photographs of it; but this latest offering is larger, has many more pages, and gives greater details of other areas of the collection than has been the case with either of the preceding volumes.

The Kriegstein Collection is the largest collection of contemporary 17-18th century models in private hands, and consists almost entirely of museum-quality examples, superbly made and decorated. Each model is photographed many times, and is well-described, with a history of the model, its acquisition by them, and reasons for its stated identification, where known. The two brothers Kriegstein, who along with their supportive father, are the owners of this beautiful collection, take their role as guardians of such valuable heritage very seriously. Their admiration for the models, and for the craftsmen who made them so long ago, is clear to any reader; as is their mission to preserve them, and to make as much information as possible about them available to interested parties. The collection also contains many valuable and beautiful artworks by top-drawer maritime artists, such as the Van de Veldes, as well as some very interesting ancillary items; and a good number of prisoner-of-war models from the Napoleonic era. 

The photgraphs throughout are in full colour, and are of a good size, with many close-up details of each model.

The book's overall size is 293 x 285 x 30mm (11 1/2 x 11 1/4 x 1 3/16 inches. It has 288 pages, including notes and an index. The recommended price is £50.

The first 14 chapters are about models of English warships; there follow two on French models, and then a model of the American ship 'Franklin' of ca 1800. Three sectional models of bomb vessels follow, then six models of various ships' boats, including several with detailed figures of the crew on board. One of these is a troop transport, for landing soldiers from ships, and has no less than 16 oarsmen, a naval officer, 38 redcoats, a sergeant and two musicians, all with their uniforms painted in detail. There follows a Dutch state yacht of ca 1690, a model carving of the figurehead for Royal Caroline, and another for the Queen Charlotte of ca 1784. A model of the Victory's foremast with battle damage as received in 1805 is next, then two chapters on the various artworks in the Collection. Prisoner of war models follow these, and the book finishes by covering 'Care and Conservation', and 'Fakes and Forgeries'. Their latest acquisition, a previously unknown late 17th century model of an English ship, is covered in an appendix. This model is still in France, and is awaiting an export licence. It is very interesting in that it shows how much some models have been altered by owners during their long lives, acquiring extensive additions which are completely anachronistic, and obscure the original model to a remarkable degree. If previous models are any indication, this model, once safely in the brothers' hands, will be lovingly and carefully restored to as close to its original appearance as can be achieved; as its new owners have both the drive and the resources to see this accomplished. 

This is a beautiful book, and I thoroughly recommend it to any member with more than a passing interest in models of this period. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good Morning Druxey and Jorge;

As BE says above, it is well worth the wait. It's big and heavy, the postman/mailman would not want to carry many of them.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

If anyone has the original Sea Watch version and this new version from Pen and Sword, I would be interested in knowing the difference between the two.  I already own the Sea Watch version.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Good Evening Toni;

I have the first Sea Watch volume (the second was similar size, with a couple more models, I believe) and the differences are notable. The new book is larger and with at least double the number of pages. As there are pictures on every page, there must be a lot more pictures than the earlier volumes have, although I have no intention of counting them. I don't think that the number of large 'Admiralty' and 'Georgian' models covered is much greater, although there are certainly some new ones; but rather that the artwork and additional items are much greater, as also is the section on small boats and prisoner-of-war models.

All the best,

Mark P

Thanks for the information, Mark.  Just pulled the trigger.  For those of you on this side of the pond, you can buy it through Amazon.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Having pre-ordered my book months ago I just received notice that is was shipped but with the Brexit problems it will take several months to arrive.  Of course I could have had the same book in two days from Amazon if I had waited. As they both come from the exact same publishing house it's stupefying how different the delivery times are. It must be wonderful to be Amazon! 

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I didn't Preorder the book for that reason. Last week I got my copy from Amazon without any problems and I don't need to think about tax I have to pay if I order the book in the UK.

It's a wonderful book and makes a lot of pleasure to read.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

1 hour ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

I didn't Preorder the book for that reason. Last week I got my copy from Amazon without any problems and I don't need to think about tax I have to pay if I order the book in the UK.

It's a wonderful book and makes a lot of pleasure to read.

It is good that you are able to deal with them.  WE have a problem in Australia with Amazon , Google and Facebook.  They refuse to pay our income tax for business they do here and will not pay our media companies for the news that they use.  So most of us use alternatives which in the case of Amazon are not so extensive.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

I was looking forward to everyone's reviews, but could not wait so I just ordered a copy on Amazon and it gives a delivery for Monday.   Glad Jeff B. did his thing back in '94.  Sure saved me a lot of gasoline not having to make so many trips to stores!   I know he has his detractors but I wish I had been  smart enough to think up the concept and take the plunge to start a business in my garage like he did.   

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I wish I had waited for Amazon.  I ordered from Pen and Sword got a conformation, but nothing since.  I also ordered a book that will be released at the end of the month (Anson's Navy).  Perhaps they are going to send as one shipment.  But otherwise crickets.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

When I ordered the book on Thursday Amazon  claimed delivery would be tomorrow, Monday.   It was not as they claimed!!! Darn!!! (The book showed up a day early and now my day is shot as I dig into the book. )   Happy happy

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Reply for Phil in post 15 above:

No capstan model appears in the book.

All the best,

Mark 

Yesterday, the book landed here from Pen and Sword.   The core of it is the  SeaWatch volume - old wine in new bottles.  The brothers do a pert fair job of photo documenting their models in this version.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Is the book good?  Yes I think it is pretty good.  Would I recommend it?  Probably not to anyone that is not very interested in research and is a scratch builder.     Fantastic models to be sure and I am sure I will be checking them out many times in the future  as questions arise, but I would rather spend a day or two at Preble Hall or a museum with a similar collection and take several hundred more photos.    I reference my current collection of photos from Preble Hall a lot and wish I was closer so I could visit again and take several hundred more photos.   The write ups in the Kriegstein collections on each model are interesting, but I would rather have seen four or five more close up photos than learning about their provenance and such.   Just my opinion but I think Franklin's book is much more useful to ship modelers.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed