Focus Stacking

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

D850

Wow, the camera is newer than me! I've been using a Nikon D4 for ten years. The built-in focus stacking became popular in the next generation.

55 minutes ago, Gregory said:

moving the subject and or the camera

Sorry about the confusing sample pictures. I would like to show an example of the controlling depth of field.

tilt1.thumb.jpg.e9ed8a215c4846db97fa64032dfb1d39.jpg

Here is a diagram of the depth of field in the case of a normal lens. There are two ways to get clear focus on the entire subject (Blue) in the given situation.

1. Small aperture - Cons: Slow shutter speed, loss of detail

2. Software photo stacking - Cons: Needs multiple pictures, frequent software rendering error - Ex: rigging threads

tilt2.thumb.jpg.401d6ba57b6d265a46bb967ba6639cb2.jpg

This diagram shows how the tilt-shift lens makes a clear picture of the subject. 

tilt3.thumb.jpg.f3bcd9745273bafd0f6edf84ea396a64.jpg

If I tilt the lens in the opposite direction, the subject looks like a miniature.

tilt4.gif.4e185ff691dee206113b7ff621506704.gif

1558px-Studijskifotoaparat.thumb.jpg.3bea633a41555bece799f4c25e69133b.jpg1600px-Scheimpflug.thumb.jpg.2db0cebe81b14f9eb4c9bf0dd7a33489.jpg

The best lens for tilt and shift control is for large format cameras. You can find cheap vintage lens on eBay. 

I once made a flat-bed scanner-large format camera 15 years ago. I won't use the lens because the whole device holds too big place.

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

seems to be two sets of approach

I agree Gregory.  My camera doesn’t stack them just takes as many as I want varying the focus point front to back, which I then have to stack in Photoshop (I used to use Helicon Focus but Photoshop has much improved this function).

As I noted in an earlier post I rarely stack focus anyway, way too much work for one photo f/11-f/16 does about as well for my purposes. Macro photography is a whole different thing, something I could never get excited about but I know produces some amazing images. Taking boat photos really isn’t macro photography. 

A D850 by the way is ancient by camera technology definition. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

55 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

Nope macro and stacking go hand in hand

Although my other hobby is photography GlennBarlow|Photography This is not a photography site so I’m going to bow out of this thread.

So, nope they are in fact different things. While macro photography includes stacking, stacking is not limited to macro photography.  Focus stacking, such as a model or even a waterfall, does not include macro. Macro photography is all about showcasing a subject larger than it is in life. Focus stacking is about overcoming depth of field limitations of a single aperture for a deep composition.

With that I’ll leave everyone to their opinions and go back to modeling.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

@modeller_masa

Looks like you are going to way too much trouble for me at this stage in life, but I defer to your expertise.  Your methods produce some interesting results.

I'll try to present some examples from my fairly low-end Panasonic DC-FZ80K.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

8 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Focus stacking is about overcoming depth of field limitations of a single aperture for a deep composition.

Well said, Glenn.

For my ship modeling colleagues who also have access to a DSLR for taking high-quality photos of their models, here's a suggestion: 

Consider renting a Tilt-Shift Lens for a week, Nikon or Canon.

Full disclosure: I'm a Nikon shooter.

Rent a "T/S lens" and experiment with it. Most of the available lenses of this type will stop down to f32 (important for broad depth-of-field) and since you're shooting a fixed object (your ship model), you can dial-up long exposures (as long as you've got adequate, controlled lighting, either continuous or strobe). These specialty lenses can give you beautiful photos in a single shot; no fiddly, time-consuming, computer post-production focus-stacking necessary.

In addition to great full ship portraits, the TS lenses will also help you achieve really crisp, interesting macro shots (close-ups), especially on a full-frame sensor DSLR, whether Nikon or Canon.

The lens photo here is one I've used (Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D Tilt-Shift Lens) - but more full-disclosure: I now shoot many of my ship model pics with an iPhone 14Pro, trading up to a 15.

Here's one lens rental company to check out: www.borrowlenses.com

.NikonPC-EMicro-NIKKOR85mmf2.8DTilt-ShiftLens.jpg.b60d28cacfe8746d6e0a2ed0a52470ff.jpg

Edited by hollowneck
added model # for photo

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

These are sample pictures that I took with a Samyang 24mm F3.5 Tilt-Shift lens.

ghf11.thumb.jpg.0808fc16eb71f017311ece02dd06fad9.jpg

In a general situation, I may need an ultra wide angle lens with a F22 slow speed aperture or the focus stacking method to take the same picture.

pan2.thumb.jpg.88d75aaf095df4dea3c27041f3efb6bc.jpgpan3.thumb.jpg.0136a3f0ffc645912d8fd9be024207ee.jpg

I took only a picture. Beautifully simple and works well. It is a case of "a practice is worth a thousand words."

ghf05.thumb.jpg.dbf2c6fd59cecfd956c676a83cc997cf.jpg

Another example.

pan5.thumb.jpg.1a2d5351a3d797859e3b60c08847eedf.jpgpan6.thumb.jpg.577e9e1fb0fe182792346d40c9997199.jpg

I can get the same perspective correction with an ultra wide angle lens and photoshop crop option, but the picture resolution will be lower than this. Difficulties with the focus stacking method have already been commented on here.

Before the slim mirrorless camera age, the TS lens cost more than $2,000. The high price was a reason we had difficulties using the lens. Now we can get the old vintage lens for $300. 😎

On 11/18/2023 at 3:26 PM, glbarlow said:

Nikon pro level cameras have a much simpler focus stacking feature, a few settings from a fixed camera position and the camera does all the work with one click of the shutter.  Of course the resulting images still have to be combined in post. 

Can you tell me which model(s) have this and what you would advise?

My D5100 is almost 14yrs old now and the sensor has a spot which I need to clean up on each photo I take. It's had a hard life and needs retiring. 

41 minutes ago, James H said:

Can you tell me which model(s)

James, sent you a DM…

Regards,

Glenn

16 hours ago, James H said:

Can you tell me which model(s) have this and what you would advise?

My D5100 is almost 14yrs old now and the sensor has a spot which I need to clean up on each photo I take. It's had a hard life and needs retiring. 

Don't think any of the crop sensor models have it. Could make a shift to full frame expensive with change of lenses. That said it might be worth (for framing advantages with a movable screen if nothing else) a jump to mirrorless. Various crop sensors but in the UK I'd look at used from MPB and maybe a shift to Olympus?

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

Early this year I switched from a Nikon D5100 to an Olympus OM-D ME5ii, and this has completely revived my interest in photography (somewhat at the expense of modelling!). Being micro four thirds (MFT), everything is incredibly light and comparatively small and I happily carry the camera around with me most of the time. I think part of the reason I didn’t carry the Nikon was bulk and weight.

The relevance here is that I bought it because I specifically wanted built-in focus stacking but at an affordable price. Everything new was far too expensive but along the way I learned that Olympus have had this feature on their mft’s for quite a few years and there’s a ready supply of used bodies and lenses. Although some may get sniffy about the smaller sensor, I doubt any of my photos will ever get printed on billboards and the image quality is excellent. I’m also very happy with the focus stacking, in fact it probably exceeded my expectations.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

• 4 weeks later...

The phone won't work unless you can adjust the focus manually to set the depth of the focal points. I don't know if any cell phone camera has this capability. However, if it does it might have the automatic focus stacking feature.

The macro lens on my cell phone has an EXTREMELY shallow depth of field (less than 1/8 inch (3 mm). It is essentially useless for anything but flat objects. I would have to take dozens (hundreds?) of images at different focus depths to get a set of photos of my ship model for photo stacking. I can get an 11" (280 mm) depth of field with the real macro lens on my DSLR.

You can probably get better photos for focus stacking with the ordinary camera in your cell phone.