Waking up again

JimmyK

Last weekend I joined MSW and would like to tell a little about myself.

My name is Jimmy and I was born and in Southern Sweden for 62 years ago where me and my wife still lives.

Model building I guess is probably like the most of you here, an interest that started when I was a boy, though back then
it was the cheap plastic models that I did and as I came from a not wealthy family there was only a few of them.

Over time the interest faded but it never vanished completely and 12 years ago it woke for a short while when my wife bought
me my first wooden model "Flying Fish 1860", I was not well equiped then so I just did a little on the ship then it was hidden away
somewhere as I was not really ready for it.

Around 7 seven years ago another of my childhood interest really came to live, Universe and astrophotography.
I bought some equipment and started and loved it. Though during summer I can't do anything with this hobby if you don't like to engage yourself in the sun.
So 2 years ago I expanded the photography to animals and nature so I can keep myself busy with that as well, I am at amateur level and will keep it like
that. The hobbies are excellent during Corona escpecially for me. Normally I would be rather occupied with astrophotography now but the weather is certainly not
getting any better here. I started a counter last autumn on my website and that counted 92 days without a whole clear night. The counter has been active this season as well and today I have reached 97 days without one chance to carry my equipment outside, so this hobby is very tough right now for me and I feels the interest is slowly fading.

As tha AP hobby is not giving me anyting atm a couple of months ago I remembered the "Flying fish" model and the interest woke again. I have now got myself tools and what I needs to complete the ship. I guess I will ask questions now and then as I am totally new with this kind of modelbuilding. And this ship is maybe not the easiest as a starter.

A little fun info is that my working life started at Oersundsvarvet as a trainee/apprentice ( don't know correct term ) on a 3 year school education to be a shipbuilder Oersundsvarvet is/was a shipyard located in Landskrona that build rather big ships, 123000DW, my education was actually sheet metal worker (thick plates :) ) and welder. My 2 older brothers also was on that school but another direction, one of the became a mechanic and the other a plumber. Oersundsvarvet large ship building time ended 1982. Actually yesterday I found a website about the ships build on the shipyard, it was odd to find that those large ships build when I was working there 1975-1980 is in use no more and has been cut down into pieces, some of them sunk, 25-30 years lifetime on a 123000DW ship.

I still work 40 hours week but are not sure for how much longer, as my work today is in an office and Corona hit us all, I have been working from my home since soon 2 years now. For me personally it is just fine as I am that kind of person that really do not need so much social contact.

So there you have it a little bit of my and my life.

Welcome to MSW and enjoy. I'm a little quicker on building models but not much as I'm coming up on 4 years on my current build with years to go. 

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Jim, welcome to MSW. I'm enjoying following along on your Flying Fish build. 

Jimmy,

The forum has the potential and demonstrated ability to help with your journey with this hobby as much as can be done, short of one-on-one in person mentoring.   Also, lots of opinions here - it helps if you develop a filter.

As I read your biography above, it reads as though the hook is not firmly set in you for all this.

Given that base, you should proceed with care with your choice of first few projects.

When I read Flying Fish,  I first thought of my vessel - an 1830's NY pilot schooner - but it is only possible to do it as a scratch build.

Model Shipways is an excellent kit manufacturer,  even after it evolved from a labor of love by a group of guys in Ft. Lee, NJ. to being bought by another company.  Their version of a pilot schooner is Phantom  (and Katy).   It used to be available at both 1:48 and 1:96 - but now it seems it is only 1:96.  It is solid hull and relatively simple - you could do much worse for a first project. 

But your Flying Fish is a 1:96 extreme clipper.  It is also POB.   A clipper - except for all the guns - is about as difficult and involved a choice for a first thru fourth project as would be a first - second - or third rate warship.  The learning curve can seem near vertical.  The complexity when seen as a whole can be overwhelming.    A large vessel at a small scale gets you into miniaturist level fabrication.   POB is an idiosyncratic and not an intuitive technique for building a hull skeleton.   Observation over years here has this combination of factors yielding the same probability of success as a first project as Picket's charge - even with someone who starts with addiction level enthusiasm.  

Spotting you Model Shipways - they have a new series  for beginners  (Shipwright Series)  that are a more kind way to accrete experience, skills, and confidence.  The second vessel in the series is from your region.  A down side is that at present, it seems to be loved too much.

There are many appropriate paths and projects for a beginning ship modeler.  I see the one that you have to hand as requiring a really extraordinary  degree of determination and dedication to be a successful first project.   These factors to a level that do not allow much room for fun and joy in the doing of it.  

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Jimmy and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have some enjoyable hobbies and you have come to the right forum to help you build your wooden ship model skills.  We are glad to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi, Jimmy. I have built that Corel kit, and I can verify that it is not an ideal beginner's kit. Should it become too frustrating to complete, don't hesitate to find an easier (and probably better) project to work on.

Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Welcome to MSW and a great hobby, Jimmy.   Good on doing a build log as it's the best way to get help and advice and meet others.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Super warm welcome to MSW.   The diversity in home locations of our members never ceases to amaze!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome Jimmy.  I found your build log yesterday and was amazed at the progress you have made in spite of difficulties.  She looks great.  I seem to favor small New England-built ships and Flying Fish is a beauty.  I will follow your build with interest.

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

On 12/23/2021 at 3:35 PM, ahb26 said:

Welcome Jimmy.  I found your build log yesterday and was amazed at the progress you have made in spite of difficulties.  She looks great.  I seem to favor small New England-built ships and Flying Fish is a beauty.  I will follow your build with interest.

Thanks Andrew.
I looked into your build log on Emma C. Berry, very nice :). Hopefully I can create something worth a place on the shelf