Happy New Year (and new hobby)

First off, a Happy New Year to all here.

Thank you for inviting me into your community. My name is Marcus Webb, and I live on the South Coast of the UK in a small town called Seaford. Many years ago during my youth, I made models in plastic (most proud of a model of a Shorts Sunderland, sadly no longer in production), and Card (there used to be models of Birds made from Card that a friend of the family made and sold - notably an Osprey and a Kestrel) which I ham-fistedly assembled into birds that were neither flight-worthy nor something an ornithologist would recognize.

As the Wife kindly let me purchase a model for Christmas, mostly I suspect to keep me out of her hair, I have taken up this hobby anew, but this time, challenged myself with what I would term "proper" model ships made from wood. Not that I would in any way denigrate anyone who's modelling from Plastic Kits, simply for me this is a new challenge that I look forward to. As and when I have more detail on this I will of course let you know, potentially as a build log here.

Having been perusing the forums here I think I'll be finding a lot of answers to the many issues I am bound to encounter, and will no doubt be grateful for the guidance and assistance that this community seems founded on.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to the challenges of the future.

Marcus.

Hi Bolin

In the end I decided to purchase Polaris from Occre (https://catalog.occre.com/model-ship/ship/polaris.html). This seemed to be quite suitable for a relative newcomer to the hobby, plus there were some nice deals on some of the UK Model Supplier websites, so I figured this would probably be enough for me to determine exactly my current skill level and reward me with a lovely boat, as well as guide me for future purchases.

Thanks for asking and fair model seas to you! 😊

Hi Marcus

Polaris should be an excellent choice as a beginners model. Even better if you got a good deal on the kit.

Good luck

Thanks Bolin

Just looked at your current project and realised I managed to buy the same slipway that you are assembling your Meta model on. Hopefully it sees me in good stead. I'm not fully kitted out yet for full modelling but if this all works out as intended, I'll be getting myself more equipment, and going all out to become a proper modeller. You know, when the bug bites? 😉

Kind regards

Greetings and a warm welcome, Marcus. I’m very much at the same stage as you, and my Christmas gift (here on Ottawa, Ontario) was HMS Terror, also by OcCre. I’ve spent many hours combing this site to figure out how to do things, and I’m now just knowledgeable enough to open the box without cutting myself. After that, it’s a mystery. 🙂 Enjoy! 

Welcome to MSW, Marcus.   If you're interested, look in the Non-ship model area.   You have to search it (use the search feature) but you'll find card models of birds there also.

If you haven't read this yet, it's well worth your time...   

When  you're ready, do start a build log on the Polaris.  Do be cautious on your tool buying as it is addictive.   Many (including myself) suggest you buy tools as you need them and not because of some marketing hype.  There's a lot of useless tools out there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

When  you're ready, do start a build log on the Polaris.  Do be cautious on your tool buying as it is addictive.   Many (including myself) suggest you buy tools as you need them and not because of some marketing hype.  There's a lot of useless tools out there.

Buy high quality tools, more expensive but will save you from troubles in the future.
Mark, are you saying buying tools are addicting? Just because during last year I bought the Byrnes disc-sander and table-saw? lol 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Marcus, Happy New Modeling Year and welcome to MSW.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marcus, and welcome from Oz.

I'd second MTaylor's advice to start a build log when you begin your model. Great opportunity for help and advice - and we get to see another model in progress.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's a month later, and I think you probably (understandably enough) thought "Oh look, another one who said Hi and then disappeared". I wouldn't have blamed any of you for those thoughts.

I had to wonder myself whether or not I was going to get this done, but that was because there was a delay in getting my model (from my supplier). Well, there's good news; Polaris pulled up at my doorstep Yesterday (courtesy of FedEx - Thanks FedEx). I'm still awaiting the paints and wood dyes, but they are expected tomorrow, so by the end of the weekend I will have everything I need.

But I'm not going to wait for that. I'll be explaining more in my build log. However, (and this might not be the best location to ask), I tend to listn to music whilst doing things like this, so if anyone wants to recommend anything they listen to whilst making their models, or any other nautically inspiring music, I'd be interested to hear from you all.

In the meantime, wish me luck and I'll get that build log started as soon as I have something to post up there.

Smooth (model) seas to you all!

Good luck with the build.  We'll be looking for your log.

As for music.. here's a topic:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

33 minutes ago, MarcusWebb said:

However, (and this might not be the best location to ask), I tend to listn to music whilst doing things like this, so if anyone wants to recommend anything they listen to whilst making their models, or any other nautically inspiring music, I'd be interested to hear from you all.

We have an entire thread on this topic HERE. Warning: It's long! (As might be expected when soliciting opinions about something as varied as music!)

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht