I have one of their lions for my Belle Poule and trying to figure how it's mounted.  I'm also considering the Bellona model and wooden figurehead and same question.   On both, there's wood between the legs and also extends out and down  beyond the legs.  I'm thinking I'll need to carve away some the material to fit the stem.

Anyone know? Here's a photo of the lion so you can see what I'm talking about.

DSCF3134.JPG.f946d8f00e43ef27ff80b8a2c0017cbb.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Isn’t there a clear cutout in the middle for it to sit on the stem? Just a quick shot of the lion on CAF’s website shows this:

D1790334-3F8E-4EEF-83A6-77CE9AFA7C39.thumb.png.c297fd243aff87f07f090a2dc5991d43.png
if that is the case i would say just slowly trim material away to get a nice snug fit.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Ahh I see now! I looked at the wrong Lion it’s this one:

2D61EB02-5D03-4762-AFB4-EC51A99A6955.thumb.png.92967e2c0baa965a22d756b459a4cd78.png

I can see what you are dealing  with now. I would ask Tom @cafmodel. Seems strange he didn’t cnc the remaining material out. Seems like you need a mill or a blade and a lot of patience now.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

I got an answer back but it's rather vague... use a CNC.  Not having a CNC, I'm going to sort out what needs to be done using my mill.  I would like to make more progress on my Belle Poule but need to finish the Sphinx first or at least have it close to being done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The amount to be cut out will vary, according to fit. Therefore must be left to the modeler rather than one size fits all. Just do it carefully- its an expensive item.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

JJ,

The area to be cut out in the photos does not look right at all.  It looks like they show a gap to be cut out that is much too wide.   There is a taper from the stem as you move forward to the knee of the head where the figurehead rests.  I don't have access to my books for a couple days, but if I recall correctly, I believe it tapers to about half the width of the stem.   The top view rough sketch below is not to scale but pretty close.  This means the cutout in the figure head needs to taper as well for a proper fit on the knee of the head.   

Allan

Taper.JPG.453ccd14aee5e67f2b288b6adfda17dc.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan makes a good point. There are many models that do not show this double taper (from aft to forward as well as from below upward) of the knee of the head. The knee is not simply slab-sided. It makes the fore end of a model look heavy and clumsy. An example of this taper is shown here:

C headwork 22.12a.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I do have a question regarding the forward most part of the knee of the head.  The sketch I posted shows a radius on the forward face, but I have seen contemporary models with the radius and other without.   Like most things in our hobby, not much is cast in stone, but I was wondering if the radius was era related or decided by the shipwrights.  Two photos below, one with no radius, the other showing the radius at least below the figure head.  In the second photo  I do not recall for sure if the radius followed all the way up to the figurehead but I think it did in this case.

Allan

387848943_Kneeoftheheadradius1.thumb.JPG.8df64009a529d7d63746207943dae88f.JPG

66733851_Kneeoftheheadradius2.thumb.jpg.aa9ea9972f9348f4ff42efe6b474eeea.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good points on the figurehead mounting and the stem tapering.   I'll take a break from the Sphinx for a few days and build the stem and see what needs to be tweeked.   It could be as simple as tapering except at that point where the figurehead sits.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A radius is required so that, when at anchor, the cables are not chafed when the ship turns and they cross the bow. I've discovered that, in shipbuilding, there was always a reason for why something was done a certain way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Allan and Druxey, you both make great points, I wonder if the material that is shown to be “cut” takes into account that taper in the stem. If not it will look quite odd with a stem that ends up being narrower than the piece allows for.

JJ

The good news is, the French did taper.  Also, the amount of taper allows for the slot to be cleaned up and fit the taper both fore and aft and top to bottom.  So I feel that I can build the stem and do what's needed.  Maybe have to make some minor tweeks to things but doable. I may actually have to remove some wood from the carving to fit the proper taper but not much and only on the backside.

]

Now this is all based on using the plans and the figurehead for measurements to fully sort out what I'm up against.  I'm still going to cut out and assemble the stem before cutting the figurehead and verify.  I'm approaching a stopping point on the Sphinx so a few days working the Belle Poule's stem will be a good break.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

That's great on the pre-carved out keel slots.  I've worked on mine and so far, so good.  But I'll keep this in mind just case something breaks.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: