Shelby Cobra by Brucealanevans - Agora - 1/8 - FINISHED

Thought I’d post my progress on this.  A detailed log exists here so I won’t repeat it. 
This represents 9/12 packs. The last 3 are on their way to me. Always have been fascinated by this car, and this is as close as I’ll get. Fantastic detail and great fun ( but yes, expensive). 
450C9A4F-9CFF-4765-AFC7-A6D8604DDCE5.thumb.jpeg.8d124bbdd2f7bfa9e2dfe67f77739571.jpeg

Don't worry about "repeating".   Every log is an experience and a voyage and everyone's trip is different.  If it weren't that way, we would only have one build log of each model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Every log is an experience and a voyage and everyone's trip is different.

Amen, it's what makes this place special....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 1 month later...

Almost done, but unfortunately broke two of the spark wire connectors to the distributor while fastening the steering column connector. 
Requested replacement of these small plastic parts nearly a month ago and still not in the mail system’s hands. Build on indefinite hold as I don’t want to add the remaining engine bits for the last 2 stages of the last pack until that repair is done as they will get in the way and make a fiddly job harder. Frustrated by the delay but not much I can do but wait and hope the right parts eventually make their way to me. Unfortunately these replacements come from UK rather than the US warehouse so even more delay. Love the model but the replacement process leaves much to be desired in terms of customer service I’m afraid. 

hope you can solve your issue.   should you get tired of waiting,  there is a repair using brass wire.........a lot of us smaller scale guys use it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just a note 

the band aid over the right rear is to protect the gas cap lid which is a bit fragile when the car is turned over - much of the work is done with the car upside down. 
Thanks for the suggestion about using wire. If I give up on agora or they send the wrong part I’ll do just that. 

Edited by Brucealanevans

it is a "lovable" kit :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Replacement bits finally in the mail to begin their transatlantic journey!

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the 427 Cobra S/C so here are some final views.

An enjoyable well-engineered model. Quite a different experience from wooden ship models for sure. More of a sometimes fiddly assembly of a large number of components that always fit just right if you can maneuver them into position and where required get the screws in while keeping the parts in position. Frequently wished for a third hand!

The hardest thing in the whole build  was fastening the windshield wipers from below with a tiny screw thrust deep into the dark while holding the wipers in place from above. Took me an hour to figure out a way to make that happen!

Thankfully all the electrical connections worked - headlights, brake lights, horn, and engine noise (although the last is a bit pathetic). 

C661BBAB-DD6D-4929-ABF1-FA31A7595C4D.jpeg

BFFB8194-C00F-4828-ACBD-CB588F54409A.jpeg

1209CD37-7AA3-49BD-8A9E-1967B9CA2B63.jpeg

Edited by Brucealanevans

Thanks for the likes. It’s a cool model and I love looking at it. I’ve always been fascinated by them. Of course only the 0.1% can afford them now, and even the replicas are out of reach. Anyway I’d be scared to drive one. When I was in college- a LONG time ago - some rich kid showed up with one in the fall. It took him all of a week to total it …

It is said Bill Cosby got one of these 427 S/C models and promptly gave it back because it scared him. 

I can see why the 427 would certainly be problematical for any but the most experienced drivers of high power machines.   The 289 cu.in.version was a bit more "street" friendly but could still be a terror on the track.  The 289 had better handling than the 427 but....  more hp is better as the saying goes. 

I knew a pilot back in the day who bought one of the 289 versions from Shelby.  Even that was a handful under full acceleration and power.   I would like to think he kept the car and lived a long healthy life.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me