Search for Endurance

Ian_Grant

You probably won’t find a more enthusiastic Shackleton enthusiast than myself. I’ve collected documents written by him, in his own hand, items he personally used on the furthest south Nimrod expedition, first edition books, etc etc. Collecting items belonging to Shackleton is a passion of mine. With that said, I can’t really understand this expedition. I’m certainly all for it, and I hope they succeed in all their aims, but Endurance isn’t an unknown. We have very detailed information about her sinking, photos, film, so it’s not like  we have too many unanswered questions except for her true position position. 

I was discussing this subject with a friend once the second attempt got underway. He and I couldn’t come up with a major question we felt we’d like to see answered from finding the wreck. It’s pretty clear that she was smashed to pieces, and other than the debris on the bottom of the ocean, she won’t be some sort of perfectly preserved Time Capsule sadly. Of course they’ll find items from the expedition, and I certainly hope some can be recovered, fascinating no less. I think ticking her off the list is fine, but there might be other ships that ticked off first. And this coming from the most fanatical Shackleton enthusiast you’ll come across ‘round these parts.

I do feel there are two wrecks in the Southern Hemisphere which would be much more interesting. The first being the American bark General Grant, which was lost off Auckland Island in 1866. She was carrying a large quantity of personal gold being carried by her passengers and possibly, though disputed, a large shipment of gold bullion. This bullion is often thought to be a legend but it is interesting because on the manifest it was listed as zinc spelter ballast, which I’m told wasn’t common in New Zealand or Australia at the time. What is known is that she did have something like 3000 ounces of private gold aboard. Not only did the disaster suffer considerable loss of life, her survivors became castaways for almost a year, which in itself is one hell of a story. I think she’s worth finding.

Secondly, with all the other missing wrecks being found recently, and quickly becoming the Everest of missing ships has to be the missing ocean liner SS Waratah of the Blue Anchor Line. Waratah disappeared on her second voyage in 1909 off the coast of South Africa. Little wreckage was ever found, none of which could be positively identified as having come from Waratah. No bodies were found, it was as if the 500’ ocean liner sailed to Mars. The subsequent search for her was one of the biggest searches at sea ever conducted, covering most of the area between South Africa, Australia, and Antarctica. Absolutely fascinating stuff, maddeningly perplexing, but still fascinating nonetheless. There are a couple theories about why she sank, and maybe we could start a new thread if there is interest. I can bore you to tears with discussions about Waratah! Anyway, Waratah has certainly moved up to the top, or near the top of the list.

As I said above, I wish the Endurance search team all the best, and I’ll be the first to congratulate them on their success. I’ll be properly excited if they do find her. However, I do feel that energy could be put into other missing ships, especially Waratah and General Grant. 

found

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 3/3/2022 at 8:01 AM, Joe100 said:

You probably won’t find a more enthusiastic Shackleton enthusiast than myself. I’ve collected documents written by him, in his own hand, items he personally used on the furthest south Nimrod expedition, first edition books, etc etc. Collecting items belonging to Shackleton is a passion of mine. With that said, I can’t really understand this expedition. I’m certainly all for it, and I hope they succeed in all their aims, but Endurance isn’t an unknown. We have very detailed information about her sinking, photos, film, so it’s not like  we have too many unanswered questions except for her true position position. 

I was discussing this subject with a friend once the second attempt got underway. He and I couldn’t come up with a major question we felt we’d like to see answered from finding the wreck. It’s pretty clear that she was smashed to pieces, and other than the debris on the bottom of the ocean, she won’t be some sort of perfectly preserved Time Capsule sadly. Of course they’ll find items from the expedition, and I certainly hope some can be recovered, fascinating no less. I think ticking her off the list is fine, but there might be other ships that ticked off first. And this coming from the most fanatical Shackleton enthusiast you’ll come across ‘round these parts.

I do feel there are two wrecks in the Southern Hemisphere which would be much more interesting. The first being the American bark General Grant, which was lost off Auckland Island in 1866. She was carrying a large quantity of personal gold being carried by her passengers and possibly, though disputed, a large shipment of gold bullion. This bullion is often thought to be a legend but it is interesting because on the manifest it was listed as zinc spelter ballast, which I’m told wasn’t common in New Zealand or Australia at the time. What is known is that she did have something like 3000 ounces of private gold aboard. Not only did the disaster suffer considerable loss of life, her survivors became castaways for almost a year, which in itself is one hell of a story. I think she’s worth finding.

Secondly, with all the other missing wrecks being found recently, and quickly becoming the Everest of missing ships has to be the missing ocean liner SS Waratah of the Blue Anchor Line. Waratah disappeared on her second voyage in 1909 off the coast of South Africa. Little wreckage was ever found, none of which could be positively identified as having come from Waratah. No bodies were found, it was as if the 500’ ocean liner sailed to Mars. The subsequent search for her was one of the biggest searches at sea ever conducted, covering most of the area between South Africa, Australia, and Antarctica. Absolutely fascinating stuff, maddeningly perplexing, but still fascinating nonetheless. There are a couple theories about why she sank, and maybe we could start a new thread if there is interest. I can bore you to tears with discussions about Waratah! Anyway, Waratah has certainly moved up to the top, or near the top of the list.

As I said above, I wish the Endurance search team all the best, and I’ll be the first to congratulate them on their success. I’ll be properly excited if they do find her. However, I do feel that energy could be put into other missing ships, especially Waratah and General Grant. 

not smashed to pieces by the looks of things.

After listening to the Mariners mirror podcast about three weeks ago about the search for this ship I began reading a little bit more about it. Now it’s found! I guess they started a little PR tour a bit early haha

Here is a photo of my model of her in happier, more optimistic times. 

Sadly, it was Shackleton himself who’s poor decision to push south against the advice of the whalers on South Georgia, which put them in the situation they found themselves in. The choice of S/Y Endurance/Polaris for the mission didn’t help matters since her hull wasn’t designed for pressure. She was originally intended to be a luxury polar yacht used for hunting trips and the like. However, had this story not played out, we wouldn’t have had one of the finest tales ever told, and for that I’m glad. 

It’s no surprise she’s preserved as well as she is, and I’m glad she held together on the way down. From the waterline down, she has to be a right mess and I’m glad the structure seems to still resemble a ship. 

Congratulations to the discoverers! Huzzah indeed. 

ACC502DB-6952-41C7-8DB7-3EAF7481D2A9.thumb.jpeg.6f1c5a7d3e171feaf45ffd0168cb01fd.jpeg

Edited by Joe100

I've read some books on Shackleton and when I read about the discovery of the Endurance I thought "Cool" what a find. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).